Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,578 times

Advertisements

Does any one no the situation with San Lucas Community being in a flood zone? Looking to buy a new home, DR Horton saying this is not considered a flood zone? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blamol View Post
Does any one no the situation with San Lucas Community being in a flood zone? Looking to buy a new home, DR Horton saying this is not considered a flood zone? thanks.
Great question, blamol

There has been quite a ruckus about that very subject lately. Fairly recently, most of Marana was declared a flood zone and the feathers are flying ever since.

I'm not certain if anyone knows what the final decision will be right now.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:18 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,722 times
My understanding is that FEMA has placed much of Marana (including Gladden Farms and the San Lucas subdivision) in a flood zone and those changes will become effective September 30, 2008.

Local businesses, home builders, and the town of Marana are trying to put together a privately funded study/evaluation of the area to try and have the changes repealed; but from everything I've read and/or heard, their study will not be concluded before next Fall.

Living in Gladden Farms myself, I am also biting my nails..

So while the DR Horton reps are probably technically correct (that their subdivision is not effectively in a floodzone yet), come next Fall they will be.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:29 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Default Flood zone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
My understanding is that FEMA has placed much of Marana (including Gladden Farms and the San Lucas subdivision) in a flood zone and those changes will become effective September 30, 2008.

Local businesses, home builders, and the town of Marana are trying to put together a privately funded study/evaluation of the area to try and have the changes repealed; but from everything I've read and/or heard, their study will not be concluded before next Fall.

Living in Gladden Farms myself, I am also biting my nails..

So while the DR Horton reps are probably technically correct (that their subdivision is not effectively in a floodzone yet), come next Fall they will be.
Just wondering what are all of the effects of being declared a "Flood Zone", beside the obvious flooding

Thanks

Old 12-29-2007, 05:55 PM

Well the situation has changed somewhat from the time I made my last post. FEMA is now holding off on making their redrawn maps permanent until the town of Marana concludes their study and Marana reps can meet with FEMA reps and (hopefully) demonstrate that there is not a flood risk.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "effects of being declared a 'Flood Zone'", but the immediate impact would be the necessity of flood insurance for all homeowners who have a federally backed mortgage (which is pretty much all). A quick way to add a couple thousand dollars of yearly expense!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:05 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Default Good to know

Quote:
Well the situation has changed somewhat from the time I made my last post. FEMA is now holding off on making their redrawn maps permanent until the town of Marana concludes their study and Marana reps can meet with FEMA reps and (hopefully) demonstrate that there is not a flood risk.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "effects of being declared a 'Flood Zone'", but the immediate impact would be the necessity of flood insurance for all homeowners who have a federally backed mortgage (which is pretty much all). A quick way to add a couple thousand dollars of yearly expense!
That is good to know. It seems like that would also make resale of existing homes a little tougher. Im pondering relocating to either ABQ or Tucson and have been studying both areas for housing. I noticed that the housing costs in Marana seem pretty affordable

Old 12-29-2007, 08:54 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,806 times
Funny thing about Marana, people would have just laughed at you if ten years ago you said that Marana would have a Ritz-Carlton some day. They also have one of the biggest golf tournaments in the world.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 AM

Yep sure do, the Omni Tucson National. In terms of housing affordability there are definitely more opportunities coming to light in the past several months with the cooling housing market. New home builders are scrambling to move inventory and the end result are some pretty stunning deals for homebuyers.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:12 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,806 times
Quote:
Yep sure do, the Omni Tucson National
That was a good tournament when it was running, but they don't play it anymore. I was talking about the World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship

http://dovemountain.com/championship/

I went last year on Wednesday and watched a little bit of every match and all of the top 64 players in the world. One of the biggest tournaments in the world, at Dove Mountain. Jack Nicklaus is building a couple new courses as part of the new Ritz-Carlton and they'll host the tournament after this year. I also heard that Tiger is building another new house there. Yep, Tiger Woods living in Marana, Arizona. Who would of thunk that a few years ago.

It's February 20th-24th this year and single day tickets go on sale very soon.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:56 AM

You know, when I typed my response I knew something was wrong.. I meant to link to the Accenture Match Play! Nice catch BillyBaroo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson