Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:52 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,428 times

Advertisements

I detest the overuse/abuse of the word so. As in, "This thread is so not funny". (Not my personal feeling of course )

I don't know when that started... I'm blaming the show "Friends" - I saw an episode last week when somebody used it like that. It just really irritates me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 08:55 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,348,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
I detest the overuse/abuse of the word so. As in, "This thread is so not funny". (Not my personal feeling of course )

I don't know when that started... I'm blaming the show "Friends" - I saw an episode last week when somebody used it like that. It just really irritates me.

Yep! That is SO another good one to add to the "Slacker Lingo", mdtoaz!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Yep! That is SO another good one to add to the "Slacker Lingo", mdtoaz!
It's like so totally cool!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's like so totally cool!

You know, I'm pretty sure that "Dude" falls into Slacker Lingo as well...

Isn't that one used, like... SO alot?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:49 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
You know, I'm pretty sure that "Dude" falls into Slacker Lingo as well...

Isn't that one used, like... SO alot?
I think it's pretty old. I'm not up to speed with teen lingo myself. Neither do I wanna be really...

Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I think it's pretty old. I'm not up to speed with teen lingo myself. Neither do I wanna be really...

Yeah, I believe you've nailed it: teens. THEY are the culprits!

More correctly, its most likely the English language-challenged 13 through 19 year-olds which are the ones who start and continue all of this bad, "slacker lingo".

As is evident by some of the poor grammar, such as "on accident", and who also eliminated NOT and put in NO... such as:

Are we going, or NO?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:04 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,623 times
Quote:
Just when did Arizonans get into Slacker Lingo? What happened to good ol' Arizona "Howdy, pardnuh"?

At another time in Arizona, not so long ago, we used to speak just a little differently here. Today it seems that we have a new way of speaking. I’ve dubbed it “Slacker Lingo”. Where exactly did it come from, and when did it begin? I’ve gathered a few examples for this thread. Maybe you’ll think of even more!

In what now seems like another era, when welcoming people into a restaurant, the host or hostess would usually greet something like this: “Welcome, folks”! Now its: “Hi, guys!” And instead of, “Come back soon, folks”, now its “Bye, guys!” or “Thanks, guys!”

Also, we rarely hear “You’re welcome” after a thank you any more. Now we hear “No problem”!

Lately, I've also been hearing "No worries" as a response.

And then this one came from who-knows-where: Ending with “NO”, instead of NOT, such as: Are we ready to go, or “NO”? When did “NOT” get thrown out?

It used to be “It happened by accident”, and now its “It happened ON accident”! My guess is that they remembered “on purpose”, then applied the word “on” to accident as well?

In order to describe a lot of something, it used to be plenty, or scads, or bunches, or much… Now the word which is used in nearly every occasion except for its originally intended purpose (weight), is TON, or TONS.

Is it just me, or have you noticed that today the word ACTUALLY appears in just about every sentence, whether its needed or not?

Have you also noticed that today the word ANNOYING will find its way into a sentence as well?

I won’t even need to go into the word “LIKE”, as that word has been around since the Maynard G Krebbs beatnik era! However, I will say that the word “like” has taken on an accelerated use. Now the word appears several times per sentence, if not several times per breath.

You know... I just realized that the ones who always talk like this may not even know they’re doing it! So, what’s the deal with this “Slacker Lingo”? WHO or WHAT do we blame – the Californians? El Nino? Global warming? Illegal immigrants? Big oil? Lazy teachers? Liberal professors? Laid-back, devil-may-care American culture?
No worries and "No" are ones I use a lot. I have always said No instead of not. as in:

"Are we going to the store or no".

We also have a lot of Brit transplants, so we get a lot of "one second", "watch this space" and "yeahs" as in:

"Okay, grab the steaks, yeah, and we're going to grab that sauce there yeah. Okay, one second boys, watch this space. We're going to flame these up yeah" etc.
As well as the other ones such as mate, cheers etc.
"Ok, see you around mate, cheers."

Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 AM

207 posts, read 548,708 times
I dunno whatinhell's goin' on with the language, but I 'spect it's from all that damnyankee speek exposure on the tube. Somebody mentioned Bal'mer. Gawd... if I hadn't left early on.... I'da ended up soundin' like them for sure. Worse... I'd prob'ly think like them too. Here's a little 'piece' of a much longer poem I wrote...:

The place I was born was in Baltimore City
A strange sort’a town that can be rough and gritty
Ain't much about it interestin' or pretty
No wonder I didn’t stay there

When I was a kid I could never relate
To my family and neighbors who thought it so great
I had to get out, before it’s too late
I’d hate to become one of ‘them’

I joined the Navy, when I turned seventeen
To go out in the world ‘n see what all’s to be seen
I cut the cord early, if ya know what I mean
‘Cause I never belonged with that bunch

In central Flor’da, I was introduced
To cowboy’n one day, while out gettin’ juiced
Easy money I thought, to give me a boost
We didn’t get paid much back then

This fella asked me...: "Can you ride a horse?"
Without thinkin' 'bout it... I told him: "Of course"
He said: "We'll be needin' some drovers in force"
So I asked him 'bout what all I'd do

"Just ride the horse ‘n follow the dogs
Look out for the snakes ‘n maybe wild hogs
Try not to drown or get stuck in the bogs
‘n get them cows outta the bush"

Ropin’ ‘n such., I didn’t know how
But they gimme a quirt that they called a romal
It’ll make a loud noise when you smack a cow
That’s what bein’ a ‘Cracker’s about

Two dollars and hour and found was my pay
To round up these steers to wherever they’d say
I'd meet up with a drover who'd take ‘em away
'Load ‘em up inna truck off the road

They were good ol’ boys… mostly, Seminole
We’d meet at the time ’n the place I’d been tol’
They’d unload the trailers ‘n we’d mount up ‘n go
Spendin’ all day in the scrub

When the sun started fadin’ they’d call us all in
Lead the horses to trailers ‘n the dogs to their pen
In back of the pick-ups they all arrived in
Then settle up with my pay

A sandwich ‘n coffee with a candy bar snack
Was near like a feast when I’d fin’ly get back
Along with a beer ’n a stiff shot of Jack
Life’s simple when you’re just eighteen

As to who actually owned ‘em, I never did ask
They always paid cash for my time at the task
Some carried guns, but no black hats or a mask
They was rustlers for all that I know

In pre-Disney Flor’da along the St John
Where the tourists don’t go, you could have you some fun
In some dive with a tin roof to shade from the sun
‘n listen to Blues deftly played

Good ol’ boys from the town, or back in the swamp
‘n teenaged sailors always out for a romp
Juke box blarin’ Hank Williams, or the Ubangi Stomp
‘n there weren’t no shortage of girls

The rough cut of a cowboy was fashioned in time
Of a kid from the ‘burbs who’s now writin’ this rhyme
Who left all that citified nonsense behind
And made the Sonora his home

Ennyhoo... nobody ever asks where I'm from. 'Been 'n lived all over 'n what comes out sounds sort'a like West Texas or Sam Elliott. All them damnyankees think anybody who doesn't talk fastlike between their teeth in a hillbilly. 'Elitist metrosnob cube rats who never get off pavement.

I took one of those 'tests' on Facebook... 'How Southern Are You?' or similar... 'n it came up: "Are you related to General Lee?' at the conclusion. Y'all may not know this... but Arizona is 'south'. South enuff to be the only Confederate Territory (which included New Mexico to the Texas border). Articles of Secession were drafted in Tucson 'n ratified in Mesilla in 1861.

Unfortunately... Arizona's been bastardized by yankees 'n Commiefornians. 'Same thing happened to Florida with the New York / New Jersey influx that polluted the southern culture. They brought all that yankee socio-political baggage with 'em 'n ignored the native dynamic rather than assimilate. The common denominator of the lot is lack of manners 'n sniffy attitudes. I still hear some people refer to 'back home'... Heh... Arizona is 'home'. I don't claim anywhere else. I belong here. 'Reckon I always have. : )

Old 02-22-2011, 02:19 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellringer View Post
sierraAZ-How did you get "Texas talk" out of those examples?
I am sick & tired of people putting Texas down. Moderator cut: rude I have a *sneaking suspicion* none of you have ever visited Texas & know nothing about the culture or people. Omg, can we all say ANNOYING?

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-22-2011 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: