U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:12 AM

123 posts, read 324,576 times

Advertisements

It has definately changed a lot since then.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,616 times
Was Born and went thru school here, When I got out of high school in 1955 we had over 1000 in that glass, spent many hours on Friday and saturday night hitting all of Johnnies the 2 on Speedway, one On Stone and the last one on 22nd Saw the town grow from 55,000 in 1955 to where it is today.
Used to be able to drive all the way to the top end of sabino Canyon , spent many weekends swimming in the clear waters , Times do change but not always for the best Miss the old times gogorail

Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 14,617 times
how about these long gone memories, My House, The Swizzle Stick, Drugstore Cowboys, Jewelcor, Snoopys Pizza, Jackies BBQ on Grant, the S&H green stamp store, the real KWFM, Summerdog, Dusty Chaps, and Vince's on Speedway? Just a few I recall from a time when life seemed to be at a precious slower pace.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:57 AM

33,415 posts, read 29,577,590 times
i remember places like golf and stuff on speedway near wilmot, where fuddruckers is now. when i went to fickett jr high, kolb was a two lane road. i also remember farrells ice cream store in el con, and i remember spankys game room at 22nd and wilmot. when i was in high school, i worked at the AJ bayless supermarket at south sixth and 29th st. as a bag boy. funny story there was a lady once tried to steal about $!00 worth of meat(that was a shopping cart full in 1974) from the store by claiming that she had bought the meat earlier, and left but came back because she forgot something, but she couldnt produce a receipt. the store manager was cool though, he told he she had two choices, he could call the cops and have her arrested, or he could ring up the meat and she could pay for it. she chose to pay for the meat.

i remember the A&W drive ins dotted around the city. and who can forget tucson dragway and the yearly fuel altered nationals late in the year, or the ahra winternationals early in the year.

as i recall the roller skating place at 22nd and swan was called skate country, went there a couple of times. never could get the hang of roller skating. anyone remember the spaghetti factory at alvernon and 29th? remember when it was a grocery store and an F4 phantom augered in there while trying to land at davis monthan? i also remember the super slide about a 1/4 mile south of 22nd on alvernon.

i remember being in the knot hole club and going to UA football games back in the late 60's when the cats were still in the old western athletic conference. and while wlibur wildcat was well established as the arizona mascot, they used to carry a live mountain lion(good old george L mountain lion) around the field from time to time.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,337 times
Here's a super oldie for trivia fans:

There was a small ice cream parlor somewhere around Wilmont & Speedway. The parlor was real narrow with little or no sitting space. The name?

"Hidden House" At least I think that's what the name and location was. A little help if I'm wrong

Old 06-11-2010, 07:58 AM

5 posts, read 47,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i remember places like golf and stuff on speedway near wilmot, where fuddruckers is now. when i went to fickett jr high, kolb was a two lane road. i also remember farrells ice cream store in el con, and i remember spankys game room at 22nd and wilmot. when i was in high school, i worked at the AJ bayless supermarket at south sixth and 29th st. as a bag boy. funny story there was a lady once tried to steal about $!00 worth of meat(that was a shopping cart full in 1974) from the store by claiming that she had bought the meat earlier, and left but came back because she forgot something, but she couldnt produce a receipt. the store manager was cool though, he told he she had two choices, he could call the cops and have her arrested, or he could ring up the meat and she could pay for it. she chose to pay for the meat.

i remember the A&W drive ins dotted around the city. and who can forget tucson dragway and the yearly fuel altered nationals late in the year, or the ahra winternationals early in the year.

as i recall the roller skating place at 22nd and swan was called skate country, went there a couple of times. never could get the hang of roller skating. anyone remember the spaghetti factory at alvernon and 29th? remember when it was a grocery store and an F4 phantom augered in there while trying to land at davis monthan? i also remember the super slide about a 1/4 mile south of 22nd on alvernon.

i remember being in the knot hole club and going to UA football games back in the late 60's when the cats were still in the old western athletic conference. and while wlibur wildcat was well established as the arizona mascot, they used to carry a live mountain lion(good old george L mountain lion) around the field from time to time.
A couple corrections:
it was not golf n stuff, it was Green acres. The F4 that crashed was not landing, it was taking off and had a flameout, it was full of fuel.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 AM

Does anybody remember McCluskey Tire center on 22nd? Does anybody remember Roger McCluskey? If anyone has a photo of McCluskey tire, I would love to see it!!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 14,617 times
I remember KTKT coverage of the Indy 500 and rooting for Roger. Isn't the old tire shop where the old Stereo Warehouse used to be?

Old 06-11-2010, 02:12 PM

the Tire store was where Saguaro auto repair is now on 22nd (south side of the road)

Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 PM

5728 E 22nd street to be exact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson