U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,301 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Tucson from 1961-1982. Graduated from Cholla High School in 1979. My Father owned Kittles Bike Shop on Speedway. Best memories were cruising Randolph Park on Sunday afternoons, Lucky Wishbone, Molinas Mexican Restaurant, and celebrating Cinco De Mayo!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 04:03 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,001,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgurl61 View Post
I was born and raised in Tucson from 1961-1982. Graduated from Cholla High School in 1979. My Father owned Kittles Bike Shop on Speedway. Best memories were cruising Randolph Park on Sunday afternoons, Lucky Wishbone, Molinas Mexican Restaurant, and celebrating Cinco De Mayo!
Luckys and Molinas are still there.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:44 PM

8 posts, read 62,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Luckys and Molinas are still there.
I'm getting in kind of late on this thread but i love to reminisce about the "old days" in Tucson.
Actually, there are multiple LW and Molinas in town. The original LW was on South 6th Ave. The Casa Molina on Speedway and Wilmot is the one we frequented when I was a kid/young adult in the 60's and 70's.
The Molina family opened several more locations around town and I think there are at least 4 now. Lucky Wishbone opened new stores on 22nd St west of Country Club and on Harrison Rd on the far eastside. They also built a new store next to the one at Broadway and Swan. The old building still stands unoccupied. The LW on Wilmot south of 22nd (one of my High School hangouts) is now a Taco Shop.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:50 PM

8 posts, read 62,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halapenyo View Post
Also, anyone remember Bunny's Playland?
I'm getting in late on this discussion.
Wasn't Bunny's downtown with all kinds of pinball machines? My high school buddy and I used to shuttle on Tucson Rapid Transit buses between there and the Green Acres miniature golf place on east Speedway to play pinball and drink vanilla Cokes.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 12,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockuplever View Post
Moved to Tucson in '69, left in '80 and moved back in 2004. Tucson is completely different, it just doesn't feel the same. I'm sure my memory isn't 100% accurate, but I'll take a shot at it.

The Copa Bowl, 29th and Craycroft, now a gas station
The Burger Boy (Barn), 29th near 22nd Street
Reflections Disco, 22nd and Craycroft, now The Candy Store strip club
Shakey's, Craycroft and Speedway
Skate Country, 22nd and Pantano. IT'S STILL THERE AND OPEN FOR BUSINESS, I think it opened in '72 or '73.
Tucson Dragway on Houghton. Watched the local greats of the '70's, Kevin Rotty, Danny Levitt, etc. If you watch drag racing today there is an announcer named Alan Reinhart, he announced at Tucson Dragway in the '70's.
Vickers Gas Stations all over town
The Cactus Bowl when it had 60 lanes. The 32 that are still there and 28 in the attached building, I think it's a school now.
The Spaghetti Company, near Cactus Bowl
Sandy's hamburgers, which became Hardee's, which is now Carl's Jr.
Straw Hat Pizza
Village Inn Pizza
Pima Volkswagen, Grant near Stone
Sears when it stood by itself, then they built Park Mall around it.
El Con when it was an outdoor mall, with Levy's department store.
TCC, when it stood for Tucson Community Center. I saw several bands play there in the '70's, Grand Funk, Bad Company, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Baby's, The Cars, etc.
I saw the smoke from the A-7 that crashed on Highland near the UofA, I drove by to see what it was and I arrived just as the emergency crews did. I think that was '79. I think the pilot ejected and landed in the stadium.

I cruised Speedway from '74 to '79, those were great times. Just not the same now, even the monsoon season seems different. The storms are not as frequent or intense. Oh. well, maybe I'll be saying the same thing about 2011 25 years from now.
Add to this list...

The Embers on Speedway
Pawnbroker on Tanque Verde
Pirates Den on Golf Links, now Raider Reef

Copa, believe this is where Charles Schmidt would hang out.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 12,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansimonbooks View Post
Hi everyone - just stumbled onto this Tucson 60s-70s-80s board and have been browsing through some of the entries. I moved to Tucson back in August, 1974, right before starting my junior year of high school - I think on the same day of Park Mall's grand opening, but I might have a false memory of that part. I flew out with my younger brother in time to register for high school at Sahuaro, and back in those days you walked off an airplane out on the tarmac and then down the roll-up stairs; no jetways, at least in Tucson. I remember stepping out into the mid-afternoon Arizona heat for the first time and feeling like I had walked into a blast furnace.

I didn't notice Zips Records mentioned among the now-gone places (might have missed someone mentioning it though); that was my family's business. One of my uncles started it, another uncle joined a year or two later, and then my dad joined which is why we moved to Tucson. I worked in the Park Mall Zips location during high school and then during summers when I was home from college. Also worked at a now-gone Circle K at Wrightstown and Pantano during my junior year. At the time we were the last outlet for beer (or one of the last outlets anyway) before Mt. Lemmon, so people used to line up to buy beer when sales started at noon (I think it was) on Sundays. I was only 16 and couldn't sell alcohol so people were ticked off they had to wait extra long because I couldn't ring up the beer sales and everyone had to wait for whomever I was working with, even with two registers going.
Was your uncle the guy name Bernie? I think this was his name. Bought a lot of records from there.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:06 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,840,946 times
Here's a few more down memory lane ... Carlos McGee's, Sugar Mountain Lodge, Loco Records, Pacific Stereo, Lunt Avenue Marble Club, Sambo's, Saguaro Corners, Gillette Ski Shop, After the Gold Rush, East Inn, Paul Bunyan statue at Leo's automotive, Margaret Court Tennis Ranch (now Tucson Racquet Club), Natanni Nez, Midway Drive-in on Speedway, VJ's on 6th street across from the stadium, Rosa's at Campbell & Prince where you could bring your own drinks in, KZAZ channel 11, Levy's dept store, Dave Bloom & Sons, the crazy Centurian fundraiser parties for St Mary's every year (Hi Corbett, Old Tucson, Gates Learjet hanger, La Placita underground, etc).

Old 02-11-2012, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 19,909 times
My hangout was LUNT AVE MARBLE CLUB with Whatever's Left.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 13,733 times
Hello, newbie here. I was born in Tucson Feb 16 1962, but was adopted so I have no idea which hospital I was born in. Can someone tell me which hospitals existed in Tucson in Feb 1962?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 19,909 times
TMC , UNIVERSITY and EL DORADO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson