Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 12:37 AM

5 posts, read 35,792 times

Advertisements

Those were the days my friends! Choo choos, that's where I met my husband! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 12:39 AM

What about magi carpet golf, large totem with stairs winding up. I worked there for years.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 AM

Default General hospital was on Tucson blvd down pass prince.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PV64 View Post
Actually, El Dorado and UMC didn't exist yet but St Joseph's was built in 1961. They probably weren't up and running with OB/GYN services though. Most babies were born at either St. Mary's or TMC.
St general hospital was there then

Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Sierra Vista

Tucson of the 60s,70s and 80s-bayless-sierra-vista.jpg

Old 09-18-2013, 02:43 PM

29 posts, read 67,854 times
Interesting thread.

We moved from Alberquerque to Tucson when I was 4 years old in 1980, so Tucson in the 80's and early 90's represents my entire childhood ... I grew up in the same neighborhood as the original poster, a typical Tucson no-name 'hood of approximately 1/2 sq. mile bordered by 22nd, 29th, Alvernon and Columbus.

All the people claiming the current crime rates are something "new" in Tucson are clearly looking through a rose-tinted rear-view mirror, but it was still a fun/interesting place to grow up. I may be moving back soon (gone since 2002) so it will be interesting to see what has changed for the better (downtown, I hear) and for the worse (the outer edges of the sprawl and the inner city areas by all accounts).

Fond childhood memories of:
- Vince's Italian on Speedway (my Dad used Barter Exchange and that was one of the few places to take it so we ate there often)
- Malibu Grand Prix (best Go Carts ever ... I still have a "Malibu Driver's License" from circa '92)
- DeAnza Drive-In (like the original poster, we also wired up a remote speaker and would watch movies from a friends' apartment patio next to the theater).
- The old Tanque Verde Swap Meet (on Tanque Verde, as has been mentioned, and where I first "pirated" music by buying clearly illegal copies of cassette tapes which would only have the music you expected on them half the time)
- Zachary's pizza
- Magic Carpet Golf (though I hated that place as a kid since I once got the ball into the 'special hole' that was supposed to win you a free round and they never would give it to me)
- Home Plate and it's batting cages
- All of the Molina family restaurants (especially Speedway near Wilmot and 22nd near Craycroft)
- Jack's Pit BBQ (back when Mr. Banks still ran things)
- TACO STANDS!!!!!
- Being able to ride a bike without being nearly killed multiple times a day
- Redneckin' along Old Nogales Highway, or out at Reddington Pass
- etc...

Old 09-19-2013, 04:15 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,835 times
I was stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB as a young Airman from 1978-1980, and from there was reassigned to England. Eventually retired from the USAF and now reside in Flagstaff.

Always liked Tucson although I rarely make it down that way anymore. I would imagine that Tucson has experienced explosive growth since 1980 (just like most cities).

Old 10-06-2013, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 15,855 times
Talking Bayless!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Sierra Vista

Attachment 115286
OMG! We moved to SV in 1960 and I remember vividly going to this grocery store, tho I was only 5--I also remember a little (what would have passed for a convenience) store a few blocks east of there, where we would ride our bikes to get sodas and Popsicles. The sodas were in one of those outside chest dispensers. I ate my first (and last) blue Popsicle there. Truly hideous.

We moved to Tucson in 1963, where I more or less grew up, until we had to move to El Paso in 1971. Here are my 1963-1971 Tucson memories:

Booth Elementary and Fickett Jr. High. Hunting for garnets in the sandbox at Booth, and the PE bloomers at Fickett. Swearing in 6th grade that no way would we never EVER take locker room showers, EEEEWWW!

Rollerskating on Saturdays along the sidewalks around the old library, while my dad snoozed in the periodicals. Great skating sidewalks, even for old metal 4 by side skates with keys.

Mom worked at Andy's restaurant on Speedway for many years. It had a huge taco for a sign, and was near the Blue Note (Llewellan Bros, right?), and some other nightclub that was famous because Joe Bonnano and allegedly Lana Turner used to go there and fight a lot.

Vividly remember a strange building on to that had a big old metal slide down the front of the building. Maybe the slide was a fire escape or something. It disappeared in the mid-60's, but I have to this day wondered what the building was for. I seem to think it may have been a sanitarium at one time. Anybody who might know would make my life complete!

Anybody remember Junior Assembly classes and dances?

CYO city-wide dances--I went to these a lot, just to hear a certain band play the theme song to "Exodus" at the end of the night. Don't remember the name of the band, tho.

My first concert: Linda Rondstadt and the Stone Ponies, opening band was The People, with their one-hit wonder, "I Love You". She was barefoot and wore a Barnaby Street cute little striped dress. 1967 or 8, I think, at Palo Verde HS. My fantasy big sister.

Rincon Park ducks, and community pool. I think dad dumped our Easter ducks off there after they grew up. We also released our Woolworth pet turtles there because we thought they would like to get off of their little plastic island and live free. We were 7 and 9. After a full day of swimming, I used to be RAVenous for mom's signature Chef Boyardee spaghetti from a box. Nothing else would do.

FOOD!!:
Shrimp chef salad with Italian dressing at Johnnie's on Speedway, with a choc shake, of course.
Chimis anywhere. At this time I think you could only find them in Tucson, right?
Sandy's cheeseburgers--13 cents, yeah? Kolb and 22nd.
Fried apple dumplings with cinnamon sauce and ice cream, at the carhop restaurant I worked at when I was underaged (14). Also Kolb and 22nd. Wish I could remember the name.
Some weird Pink Poodle place I used to guilt dad into taking us to after the library. No food memories, just considered it shwanky.
The first Hobo Joe restaurant, and their awful chili. My best friend's mom thought it was chic, but we weren't flush, so we ordered cups of awful chili to be able to eat at Hobo Joe's. Secret: lots of oyster crackers - dilutes the awfulness and extends the HJ scene experience.

I should stop now. Please respond if you can, anyone, actually. Love my Tucson memories.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 15,855 times
Default BAYLESS. Ps

Oops, forgot to mention that the mystery building with the slide was on Speedway Blvd.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,491 times
Anyone remember Grant Road Tavern? Hung out there a lot playing foosball.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:08 PM

19 posts, read 72,254 times
This may be a little earlier than the 60s, but I'm looking for confirmation of a building on Lester Street (Near 6th Ave I think) from back in the 50s. It was called Tucson Gardens and was a dance hall, sports arena and other things. Doesn anyone remember it and where was it located?

Also, anyone remember Polo Village? Metal quonset huts built for UofA student housing on land that is now the University Medical Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson