U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,206 times

Advertisements

I am announcing to the original rambler band members that one of the band member has passed his name was Richard Marmion we as his in-law family would like to be contacted as soon as possible we need some info please [send the poster a Direct Message here by clicking the username above.]

Last edited by observer53; 04-30-2014 at 03:10 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 01:13 PM

175 posts, read 585,138 times
This isn't as detailed as I'd like as I don't remember every detail(sorry). My first visit to Tucson was in 1960 when my Mom and I took a train! from St. Louis to Tucson. As I said- I don't remember a lot but my Aunt and Uncle lived on Warren right about where the U of A stadium is now. I remember sleeping in their house with NO A/C, yet the breezes helped keep us coolish? at night.

I remember both the Apache and the DeAnza drive-ins, and remember much later when my Aunt lived on E 8th over between Columbus and Swan near Broadway. I remember the first time I went up to Mt Lemmon, and was in awe that a mountain and the desert could be so close together. I remember my first Eegees, my first visit to Lucky Wishbone, and my first Mexican meal at Molina's Midway off of Speedway and Belvedre.

I remember all of my visits to Old Tucson Studios in the 60's long before the fire, and going to Desert Museum to see all the desert plants and animals. I got to visit DMAFB and even kinda remember my Uncle talking about working at the Credit Union there. I didn't go back to Tucson again until 1986, and the warmth beckoned me as I walked off the plane at the airport. The "little" Tucson International Airport that was oh so small compared to Lampert Airport back in St. Louis. My (then) wife uttered a curse word as to " " hot it was- yet to me, every shimmer of the heat waves brought me back home.

I remember going into PDQ's Record shop off of Grant near Alvernon as that is where I looked for a lot of records long before Zia's. I remember going to El Con when going there was a big thing in Tucson. Levy's department stores, that's where my Aunt liked to shop. I remember going to see the Toros play at Hi Corbett field for only a couple of bucks. Going to Reid park zoo was always fun since I remember taking my kids there when we visited(for the only time) in 1986. Rincon market was THE place to go shop because it just was.

I remember the first time I ate at Pinnacle Peak and was in awe of the "wild west" atmosphere and the Trail Dust town. Anytime driving thru Saguaro Monument East or West at Sunset. Walking the trails at Sabino Canyon. Seeing my first Tarantula, my first Road Runner, the first Monsoon. Smelling the air right before and after a Monsoon. Feeling the electric feeling of the storms. The intense fury of a monsoon, an then the sun would be shining an hour later. Golf N Stuff on Tanque Verde. The Miniature golf place on Speedway around Columbus? Tucson held/holds a lot of memories for me. I suppose that any city has to change. But my memories are mine forever.

Last edited by observer53; 05-07-2014 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: inserted some paragraphs for easier reading

Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 PM

19 posts, read 62,067 times
Ah yes. DMAFB. My first real route as a mailman (letter carrier). I delivered mail there for almost a year back in the 60's. I remember there were a lot of very short dead-end streets off of one the main drags. Rather than walk up and down each street, I would walk thru the front door of the house on the corner, leave the mail on the kitchen table, walk out the back door, through the back yard, cross the street, thru the front door of the house on the next street and out the back, repeating the procedure until I finished all the streets. I'm pretty sure this type of delivery doesn't exists anymore, but it sure made my job easier back then.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,959 times
I just heard a song and it reminded me of when I danced to it around 1973 at this huge barn-like bar that had antiques hanging from the ceilings and all over the walls. It was owned by the same guy who owned Minder Binders in Tempe, I think. Just reading these posts brings back memories. I worked briefly as a cocktail waitress at the Pirate's Den and remember it had great live bands. I then worked as a cocktail waitress at a great Italian restaurant named Mamma Mia near the back gate of DM. The U2 pilots used to come in there all the time. I lived just off the runway and the U2s used to fly over my house and were like really quiet pterodactyls. Then I substitute taught for a while and then became one of the first three female deputies on the Pima County Sheriff's Department. Then I met one of my exes and moved to Rhode Island. I miss the Tucson of the 70’s and going out to listen to this really talented singer named Phil Stover sing and play the guitar (I still have a cassette tape of him singing). Once a guy whose name was Bill Ronstadt (Linda's cousin?) sang with him. And I remember hearing Travis Edmondson of the famous folk duo Bud and Travis sing at the Tucson Racquet and Swim Club. I remember going to a big John Stewart (of Kingston Trio fame) concert. It was a fun time.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:50 PM

68 posts, read 195,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPostmaster View Post
Some more early memories from the 50s and 60s

Doolen Middle School when it was called Catalina Junior High. When they built Catalina High School they changed it to Doolen.

J C Penney's department store at the Southwest corner of 6th and Congress. It's now the Chicago Store. Dave Bloom and Sons was across the street.

Cele Peterson's store on Pennington Street.

Marshall KGUN.

Louie's Lower Level in the old Student Union at UofA

When they made the movie (A Kiss Before Dying) with Robert Wagner, Jeffrey Hunter and Joanne Woodward and the infamous scene on top of the (then) Valley National Bank downtown.

Blakely's gas stations where they gave away cactus drinking glasses with fill ups.

The Red Barn pet shop at Columbus and Speedway.

Midway Lumber Company across the street from the pet shop.

Korby's department store, east of El Rancho Market on Speedway (They actually gave credit cards to us teenagers to try to increase sales)

Ted Walker Mobile Home Sales on South 6th Ave,

Filming of the Petrocelli television show.
Wow, Louie's Lower Level in the old Student Union at UofA! Spent a lot of time there, for sure. And I do remember Petrocelli filming.

But does anyone else remember that the pilot for The Fugitive TV show was filmed in Tucson in 1962? My whole family were extras, milling around that old amusement park on the east side (can't remember the name of it). I was 11 and had to get a Soc Security card because they paid us $20 each. My brother actually appears in the opening scene where a couple of boys are chasing each other across the grass and plaza at city hall (of the day).

Also have a good friend who was an extra in McClintock with John Wayne filmed at Old Tucson.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPostmaster View Post
This may be a little earlier than the 60s, but I'm looking for confirmation of a building on Lester Street (Near 6th Ave I think) from back in the 50s. It was called Tucson Gardens and was a dance hall, sports arena and other things. Doesn anyone remember it and where was it located?

Also, anyone remember Polo Village? Metal quonset huts built for UofA student housing on land that is now the University Medical Center.
Old concert lists show Tucson Gardens as being at 144 W Lester. I lived in Tucson 1958 to mid-70's, but don't remember ever going there. Lots and lots of famous performers had gigs there, though. Patsy Cline, Chuck Berry, etc.

Polo Village, yeah, what an antiquity! My oldest sister lived there for a while. And later I lived at Lester and Warren, near my work at the Lucky Wishbone. That house is now right next to the Medical School, if not completely taken over by it. I thought it was really cool living there because mob boss Joe Bonano lived around the corner on either E. Elm or Chauncy Lane (can't remember which) just off Campbell Ave in a brick house with a really tall brick wall around most of it. The FBI regularly picked up his trash from the alley to go through it.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:19 PM

Default Random Memories

Random memories of growing up in the Old Pueblo late 50's to early 70's:
* Main streets like Mountain Ave were U shaped and turned into rivers when the monsoons came. Fun to jump in and float away, but dangerous.
* The Pioneer Hotel fire in 1970; the fire dept didn't have equipment to rescue people.
* Frank Kalil on KTKT am radio
* The TV ads for that furniture store, with the guy yelling "That's a ganga!" Anyone remember what store it was?
* Getting out of school for Rodeo Days, the parade, and everyone could wear jeans to school that week.
* Getting a banana split for 39 cents (I think) at Kresge's in Amphi Plaza and getting to pop a balloon to see if you win a free one.
* Working my first real job as a bus boy at Joe Beauchamp's Panda Steak House on N. 1st Ave. Anyone remember the Panda? Best garlic cheesebread ever. And I still know the secret recipe!
* Getting car stereo at Sound of Music on Lake St, which grew into Best Buy. Still have fun telling the kids who work at Best buy about it.
* Ted DeGrazia art everywhere, everywhere.
* Riding bike to Sandy's Drive In and getting a 15 cent burger, 15 cent fries and 15 cent milkshake.
* The Catalina Theater on Campbell Ave, back when theaters were fancy. Same for downtown Fox.
* Driving up to the north end of Campbell Ave to set off cherry bombs, etc. People used it for shooting, too. We were once pinned down in a ravine with bullets ricocheting around us. Don't think anyone was aiming at us, just firing wildly and didn't see us.
* Lucky Wishbone steak fingers. Worked there for years but dang it all, I cannot duplicate the recipe. Had something to do with a dip in watery pancake mix at some point in the process.
* Cruising Speedway from Johnnies to Stone Ave, over and over and over...
* Being at Johnnies and being creeped out that serial killer Charlie Schmidt (aka "The Pied Piper of Tucson") had hung out there trying to pick up girls to kill. He was a short guy, but stuffed crumpled newspaper in his boots to make him look taller.
* Getting up at 4:00 am to deliver the AZ Star on my paper route, which was all the dirt streets bounded by Prince Rd, Mountain Ave, Ft Lowell and Campbell Ave. I think a lot of that area is still dirt roads.
* Sambo's restaurants; hard to believe they could get away with calling it that, even in that era.
* Sitting in my car in South Tucson waiting for a friend and having a bunch of cop cars come screaming up, surrounding my car, and cops jumping out aiming their guns at me. Turns out they were staking out a drug dealers house nearby and thought I was someone else.
* Driving down to Nogales to drink when under-age.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:21 AM

613 posts, read 935,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonothimagain View Post
The Miniature golf place on Speedway around Columbus?
You might mean Magic Carpet Golf, on Speedway, but further East than Columbus. If so, here's an interactive map of where the old Magic Carpet Golf statues have ended up, like the infamous Tiki head reigning over 4th Avenue party-goers: Interactive map: Where Magic Carpet Golf relics are now

Old 07-13-2014, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 11,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean from Vermont View Post
I worked at Loco Records in 1981-1982. Who was the owner? Where exactly was it located? I was only in Tucson for a year and have missed it ever since! My husband and I will be back next fall and I want to be able to show him where Loco Records was.

Alexis Arguello was a customer at Loco. When people would bring their records back after leaving them in their cars in the heat our boss would play the John Hartford song, "Don't leave your records in the sun." Great times. Went to the Rolling Stones "Start Me Up" concert in LA while living in Tucson.

Thanks for starting this thread.
It's late in the day for this response, but I just saw it today.
Loco was at 2901 e broadway, near country club. The owner's name was David and it was a sister company to the zip's chain. I worked there too, name is carl.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 11,652 times
"That's a ganga" Wasn't that Austin? I think he did john wayne theatre on channel 11 at midnight fridays and used to toss furniture around in the ads. Louie's at the student union had the worst coffee I've ever tasted and I drank gallons of it while a student there. The bar with the stuff hanging from the ceiling... maybe the bum steer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson