Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-12-2015, 11:32 PM
 
406 posts, read 623,807 times
Reputation: 289

Advertisements

Talking about going up to Oracle and Magee in the 60s reminds me of the stories that Oracle was a two lane road north of River Road and maybe further south of River Road. The early 60s was still two decades away from the opening of the Tucson Mall. It brings up a question I had a few posts ago. There was a very popular restaurant/hall on Oracle after the incline levels off. The venue was supposed to be a popular place for senior proms and weddings.

Of all the places that Desertpogoda mentions, Dunkin Donuts is most familiar as I had my fair share of coffee and donuts there. From the post, I am guessing there was an Orange Julius first and then Dunkin Donuts, not an Orange Julius within Dunkin Donuts the way it is arranged at some of them with Baskin Robbins? A covered wagon was mentioned across the street, I am wondering in which direction? I remember an apartment complex across First on the southwest corner of First/Prince.

The hardware store mentioned on the southeast corner of First and Ft Lowell has been replaced by a giant Circle K with several gas pumps. I do remember the old building that was there.

I am going to bring this up again because the post where I talked about the thin man with blonde hair who could often be seen around Oracle from say......Roger to Drachman is probably buried deep in the forum. Anyone know who that guy was or recall seeing him around? He often rode the Route 16 bus along Oracle.

Musicfreeq, one thing you should keep in mind about your old maps is that roads such as Ina and Magee were small and remote. They may not appear on the map as Tucson was more condensed. The same applies to the arteries I mentioned to the east of the city.

I found a website that allows users to go through the yearbooks from Tucson High School from 1906 through 1939. I did some research and found that prior to 1966 I don't think Tucson had any large buildings downtown. The earliest I saw Tucson was when the 20-story or so black and white buildings were there. Somebody once dubbed them the "Tucson Twin Towers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2015, 08:48 AM
 
137 posts, read 416,007 times
Reputation: 70
azmemories:I haven't the foggiest notion what the name of the hall was, but in 1966, I went to Catalina's after-prom with a BF who graduated that year. I remember it being up north and having breakfast afterwards - that's all I can recall. Maybe this was the place?

I remember the Dunkin' Donuts, but not until the later 60's - somewhere east, off Oracle, I think, was where we went for the most amazing jelly donuts - geez, those were good! We also went to Baskin-Robbins, which was closer to Campbell (I think?!) and I would have the mint chocolate chip, and think I had died and gone to heaven

And I wasn't meaning to imply that Ina and Magee did not exist earlier - only that they were not on the 1959 map.

Re: downtown Tucson: I don't know what you would consider "large" (I sure don't remember any skyscrapers but in the early to mid 60's, my GFs and I would ride the bus downtown and get a kick out of riding the elevators in stores downtown, such as Jacome's, that had several floors. We would try on hats and harass the store clerks who knew we couldn't afford to buy anything, and even transport an item (hat?) from one floor to another just for fun. We considered ourselves quite wild and crazy, while really, we were just being immature, rude and genuine pains in the ----.

I am excited to tell you that while fishing in my school memorabilia box, guess what I found? The menu from Frostop! in near perfect condition, as they say on eBay! It's so cool to read about the "Steerburger" boats being only 49 cents (hot dog boat was 39 cents.) What surprised me the most was the extensive list of offerings they had that I never tried: buckets of chicken, shrimp, several dif sandwiches inc. subs, and even steak dinners ($1.69!!) "at locations #2 & 3 only" - wherever those were.

Heck, those burger boats were so good, as well as the fries and root beer, I don't think it occurred to me to try anything else! Hah!

The menu is 5" x 10", tri-folded, on yellow cardstock and even includes a Code of Ethics addressing the use of profanity, loitering ("This is not a hang-out ... it's a respectable place of business." ... "No speeding, no squealing of tires, no horn blowing, etc. Turn on your lights for service" ... And they had easy terms:
"Pay now ... Eat later"

and their motto: "We specialize in everything superior for your interior."

I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 05:38 PM
 
406 posts, read 623,807 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
azmemories:I haven't the foggiest notion what the name of the hall was, but in 1966, I went to Catalina's after-prom with a BF who graduated that year. I remember it being up north and having breakfast afterwards - that's all I can recall. Maybe this was the place?

I remember the Dunkin' Donuts, but not until the later 60's - somewhere east, off Oracle, I think, was where we went for the most amazing jelly donuts - geez, those were good! We also went to Baskin-Robbins, which was closer to Campbell (I think?!) and I would have the mint chocolate chip, and think I had died and gone to heaven

And I wasn't meaning to imply that Ina and Magee did not exist earlier - only that they were not on the 1959 map.

Re: downtown Tucson: I don't know what you would consider "large" (I sure don't remember any skyscrapers but in the early to mid 60's, my GFs and I would ride the bus downtown and get a kick out of riding the elevators in stores downtown, such as Jacome's, that had several floors. We would try on hats and harass the store clerks who knew we couldn't afford to buy anything, and even transport an item (hat?) from one floor to another just for fun. We considered ourselves quite wild and crazy, while really, we were just being immature, rude and genuine pains in the ----.

I am excited to tell you that while fishing in my school memorabilia box, guess what I found? The menu from Frostop! in near perfect condition, as they say on eBay! It's so cool to read about the "Steerburger" boats being only 49 cents (hot dog boat was 39 cents.) What surprised me the most was the extensive list of offerings they had that I never tried: buckets of chicken, shrimp, several dif sandwiches inc. subs, and even steak dinners ($1.69!!) "at locations #2 & 3 only" - wherever those were.

Heck, those burger boats were so good, as well as the fries and root beer, I don't think it occurred to me to try anything else! Hah!

The menu is 5" x 10", tri-folded, on yellow cardstock and even includes a Code of Ethics addressing the use of profanity, loitering ("This is not a hang-out ... it's a respectable place of business." ... "No speeding, no squealing of tires, no horn blowing, etc. Turn on your lights for service" ... And they had easy terms:
"Pay now ... Eat later"

and their motto: "We specialize in everything superior for your interior."

I love it!
Hi Musicfreeq, neither one of us has much detail to offer regarding the restaurant/hall, so that will remain a mystery. If you said it was in the northern part of the city, maybe it is the venue I am thinking about. Do you remember if it was north of River Road? If so, the likelihood we are talking about the same place increases as hardly anything was there in the 60s.

Large is a relative term when talking about buildings. In Tucson, a 20-story building is very conspicuous. The two buildings I remembered from all those years ago are still a big part of the "skyline". In most cities, a building that is twenty stories would barely be noticed.

I know you were not implying that Ina and Magee did not exist. I was saying that it is going to be hard to match the roads on the fringes of the city from the past to the current layout. I will throw out another road that I can just about guarantee will not be on the 59 or 69 map. Tangerine Road was way north of the city (parallel to Marana). I am assuming the artery got the name because of the crop that grew along or near Tangerine Road; similar to Orange Grove Road.

When I lived there, I am pretty sure both La Cholla and La Canada when out as far as Tangerine and ended there. As a point of reference, La Canada is Flowing Wells Road going north. I would say the name of the road changes at about River Road.

With a policy like "pay now....eat later", the Frostop may have had a problem with "dine and dash" before implementing the rule You found their menu on Ebay? Fantastic! Do you know how I found this thread? I was trying to find the chimichanga (sorry about spelling) commercial from Gordo's that was parodied by countless Tucsonans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 09:18 PM
 
137 posts, read 416,007 times
Reputation: 70
azmemories: I cannot locate Tangerine Rd. on either the '59 or '69 map, but I found Clementine! Hah - here in San Diego, those fruits are pretty interchangeable

Just north of Orange Grove, i couple different segments, look like little side streets.

I haven't unfolded the '78 or '91 maps yet - when I do, I'll have to check for it.

La Cholla and La Canada are both on the '69 map and I see that La Canada is also on the '59 map, becoming Flowing Wells at or around River Rd., just as you say.

Maybe someone like desertpagoda will know the name of the hall out north used for proms, etc.

Frostop wouldn't get away with those sayings anymore today, that's for sure! But it's sure fun to read them now! And no, I just mentioned eBay when describing the condition of the Frostop menu which I didn't even remember having; it was in a box of memorabilia I just found. You can imagine how excited I was to find it - much more so than the dozen holy cards from Sacred Heart ... altho' in jr. high, those holy cards were a treasure to me because the nuns would use them as rewards for good grades, behavior, etc. back in the day.

Tell me again when you were in Tucson? Did you say you went to high school there? I remember you saying you lived in or near the Amphi Apts near Prince, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 04:35 PM
 
84 posts, read 119,272 times
Reputation: 128
Good Golly, this forum sure has increased since I was on here last. Can't say life has been a blast, but I've been getting tested and tested and am now experimenting with some shots my doctor is giving me to way lay getting new knees. I think I'd rather just get the knees now instead of wait, but don't want to ruin summer either, so I'm going to push for a fall sugery to get em started. Also found out that all the arthritis I've been suffering from isn't that, but something called peripheral neuropathy, but not the diabetic kind. Anyway that and something called Connective Tissue Degeneration. Anyway been gone awhile and you people on here just keep moving on: Musicfreeq, great idea on the maps. Makes me think I'll try to get one too, but try for earlier like in the 50's cause I google mapped recently area of Tucson I lived in and got lost because so much has changed. So maybe a collection of maps every few years might do the trick. Because of my dad's penchant for liking to change jobs so much we moved alot around town in my early years till I was in Junior high. But I tried to find some of those places and the landmarks have been moved.

The flowing Wells Amphi district was not an area I spent much time in so got no input there, but other places and events maybe so. The cleaning explosion mentioned I forgot about, but my dad was one of the first responders to it. He had been laying carpet across the street when it happened. I remember him saying it reminded him of the war, because of the body parts he saw. I think that was the first time I ever saw him cry. We had to go pick him up after the all he had been there all day helping. He was pretty shaken up. I forgot all about that. I was 9 then but I remember the scene as we got there to get him that night. I looked at some photos of this thinking I could see him, but if he was there he is lost in the crowd.

Someone mentioned Tuscon being 212,000 plus in 69'. That's hard for me to believe, that must include snowbirds, but growth did seem to move east and north more than south or west, although looking at google maps now I think the Tucson I grew up in has diminished alot and I think I don't I care much for it now. Grown too much! Whats the pop now? And I guess like everywhere else nobody is from there either except a few diehards. Well that's not true though...There is still a lot I went to high school with still there. I know some of my classmates are there because I have them on facebook as friends and my high school has a reunion site on facebook as well. Anyway I'm going to see if I can respond to some of the more recent comments on here. Glad ya'll are keeping it going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 07:13 PM
 
406 posts, read 623,807 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
azmemories: I cannot locate Tangerine Rd. on either the '59 or '69 map, but I found Clementine! Hah - here in San Diego, those fruits are pretty interchangeable

Just north of Orange Grove, i couple different segments, look like little side streets.

I haven't unfolded the '78 or '91 maps yet - when I do, I'll have to check for it.

La Cholla and La Canada are both on the '69 map and I see that La Canada is also on the '59 map, becoming Flowing Wells at or around River Rd., just as you say.

Maybe someone like desertpagoda will know the name of the hall out north used for proms, etc.

Frostop wouldn't get away with those sayings anymore today, that's for sure! But it's sure fun to read them now! And no, I just mentioned eBay when describing the condition of the Frostop menu which I didn't even remember having; it was in a box of memorabilia I just found. You can imagine how excited I was to find it - much more so than the dozen holy cards from Sacred Heart ... altho' in jr. high, those holy cards were a treasure to me because the nuns would use them as rewards for good grades, behavior, etc. back in the day.

Tell me again when you were in Tucson? Did you say you went to high school there? I remember you saying you lived in or near the Amphi Apts near Prince, right?
I just sent you PM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 PM
 
137 posts, read 416,007 times
Reputation: 70
Hey, Texas Tony! Glad you're still with us, albeit not feeling that great. I know abit about peripheral neuropathy if you want me to share, PM me. And as far as knee replcmnts, if you are a really active person who puts alot of stress on your knees (as my husband does playing tennis) the sooner you get the replcmnts, the less time they will last. The way I understand it, the plan is to extend as long as poss. to avoid more than one set of replcmnts. JMHO. Good luck with it all!

That's interesting about your dad and the dry cleaners explosion. That would be enough to cause PTSD, I would think?

You might still find an old Tucson map on eBay - if I didn't buy 'em all! Hah! Actually, there were a couple left last wk., but too close to the years I had already purchased to get them.

That was me who quoted the 1969 population - on the map I bought of that year. I gotta believe that would not include snowbirds, but, hey, what do I know about the census

Look forward to you chiming in on some of the other subjects we've covered in the past few weeks since you visited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 11:48 AM
 
68 posts, read 217,105 times
Reputation: 31
I loved Frostop burger boats, but I can't remember exactly where the one near Amphi was. Anyone?

I do remember Dunkin' Donuts and Orange Julius. Definitely separate stores in the 60's. Orange Julius was a refreshing break from Coke, etc, and in those days they made them by hand with real fruit, and a scoop of secret ingredient powder.

And of course picking out favorites from the huge trays of Dunkin' Donuts was a tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 12:11 PM
 
68 posts, read 217,105 times
Reputation: 31
musicfreeq: you said "And I see that Campbell goes all the thru to Ina at the north end. Am I remembering right when I think about that being a good place to park?"

Ah, yes north end of Campbell Ave in the 60's. Back then there were only a few houses once you got past Ina, not the solid residential area it is now. Actually, Ina turned into Skyline Dr west of Campbell. In the early 60s we rode our bikes up Campbell to the end of the road, which was dirt, and there was a small turnaround/parking area. Car drivers had to park there and walk up the trail to the little canyons where people did target practice with pistols and rifles; set off firecrackers and cherry bombs in the small water pools in the canyon, and whatever.

When we were old enough to have cars there were a number of areas off Campbell that were good for partying and parking. I guess the term "good for partying" is from the teenager point of view. In hindsight I don't know how we survived the twisty turning ride back down Campbell after some partying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 12:20 PM
 
68 posts, read 217,105 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
Talking about going up to Oracle and Magee in the 60s reminds me of the stories that Oracle was a two lane road north of River Road and maybe further south of River Road. The early 60s was still two decades away from the opening of the Tucson Mall. It brings up a question I had a few posts ago. There was a very popular restaurant/hall on Oracle after the incline levels off. The venue was supposed to be a popular place for senior proms and weddings...

I am going to bring this up again because the post where I talked about the thin man with blonde hair who could often be seen around Oracle from say......Roger to Drachman is probably buried deep in the forum. Anyone know who that guy was or recall seeing him around? He often rode the Route 16 bus along Oracle.

Musicfreeq, one thing you should keep in mind about your old maps is that roads such as Ina and Magee were small and remote. They may not appear on the map as Tucson was more condensed. The same applies to the arteries I mentioned to the east of the city.

I found a website that allows users to go through the yearbooks from Tucson High School from 1906 through 1939. I did some research and found that prior to 1966 I don't think Tucson had any large buildings downtown. The earliest I saw Tucson was when the 20-story or so black and white buildings were there. Somebody once dubbed them the "Tucson Twin Towers".
azmemories: back in the day at Oracle and Ina, the Casas Adobe Shopping Center had a couple of restaurants. I think there was a Mexican restaurant that may be the prom night spot?

I spent plenty time around the area, but don't remember the blonde guy.

Wouldn't the Pioneer Hotel qualify as a tall building downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top