Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 04:02 PM

68 posts, read 217,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbunnee View Post
I have tried to read all the posts since my last one, a lot of interesting stuff here! ...

On Prince Road, across from Amphi Jr. High was Mr. Ed's. Kids used to go there after school and get soda, ice cream or whatever else they sold. Walk up window, picnic benches on the side if I remember correctly.

When I was at Amphi High, I remember a house just across the street (north side). The tennis courts were also on the north side as was the softball field. There were those huge salt cedar trees around it. The rest of that land was a lot of desert but I do vaguely remember some houses maybe. That could have been Windsor that you all were discussing. I also kind of remember the school narc, Webster, supposedly living there somewhere. There was the alley that went from Yavapai up to the DQ. That's where we would go to smoke. I remember Mr. DePascal, and am pretty sure I had Mr. Rose and I actually did have Mr. Trent for discussion and debate. He was cool, but it was one of those classes where we did absolutely nothing. One day we did something to really make him mad and he threw an eraser at the chalkboard and walked out of class. We didn't know what to do but ended up just leaving class. Ha ha!....

My boyfriend in high school lived at Prince Gardens. The high school party spots (boonies!) were the top of Campbell, the hills of Pontotoc (kegs and crazy late night 4 wheeling!) and occasionally Box Canyon waaaay out off of Tangerine. Before anything was up there.

So many memories.
Wow, you were at the same keggers I was! End of Campbell and off Pontatoc Rd were our favorites.

I went to Amphi Jr High in about '64-'65 and remember Mr. Ed's very well. I think the garage where the teenagers blew up the dynamite bomb (mentioned in an earlier post by me) was behind it, or nearby. There was also a little store a few blocks east of the school on the north side of Princewhere we used to stop for a Coke as we rode our bikes home. Not sure of the name--Eichmann's?

And some coincidence that your boyfriend lived at Prince Gardens; I lived there in Jr. High and first couple years of high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 06:51 PM

137 posts, read 415,887 times
happyjack70, O'Man:

I believe that happyjack is correct about the old Ronstadt family home being off Prince Rd. I'm not sure how that happened to be in the Catalina school district, but O'Man, you're right, she did go (and as I recall, dropped out of, Catalina HS) but she sure didn't go to Amphi. And Linda, who's a few years older than me, left for SoCal around the mid-60's where she hooked up with the Stone Poneys and maybe returned to do a show or two in her hometown. But she also had the Eagles as back-up; they were in LA and SD during their early years and talked about hanging with her back in the day when I saw them in concert last October. Don Henley gave considerable history (theme of tour) and gave names/places of several of their old haunts and hang-outs where they would jam and practice (SoCal, not Tucson) even showing some old photos on the big screen.

The Ronstadt family owned a hardware store, that I think was on my dad's mail route, which included a section of Congress- I think that was downtown?

I also recall stories about Lee Marvin, who would come into the grocery store my sis-in-law worked at: he was always pleasant and often purchasing alcohol. I had forgotten he lived there. Thanks for the reminder

Old 05-31-2015, 08:08 PM

22 posts, read 44,175 times
Not sure where she went to h.s., but her folks house was at 2014 E. Prince Rd. I was their mailman for 7 years. I believe it is condos or apts. now. It was an old hacienda type house set back from the road. This was in the '70's. So, like Prince rd. drive in I'm sure the land was worth a bundle. Prince and Jackson to be exact. On the northeast side. I used to live a few blocks from there on Wilson. Great neighborhood. You lived close by, do you remember the original Boondocks lounge on Campbell near Prince. It's part of that mall now. My mail route was all around the U/A farm and 1st ave. to the west. Hills Saloon. Rowdy place when they were running the track at Rillito Downs.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:34 AM

happyjack70: Other people have mentioned Boondocks, but because I moved to SoCal before I turned 21, I don't recall ever going there, even when returning for a visit - maybe because I always had a kid in tow?

My dad loved the horses and went frequently or sent bets with his buddies. Mom took us a few times and I remember heading east on Roger or Limberlost (we lived off Oracle Rd.) and then north on First Ave. and it was not that far. I do remember the U of A farm being in that area but I don't recall what else was around (this was the mid 60's.) It sounds like your route was pretty spread out. Maybe there still was not that much there - even well into the 70's - how much business and how much residence? I wish we Google maps existed back in the day - wouldn't that be great?

Old 06-01-2015, 01:00 PM

406 posts, read 623,658 times
The stories about Linda Ronstadt remind me that I never knew she was from Tucson until at least a couple of years after I left. The Ronstadt Transit Center downtown made sense looking back.
I used to hear about sightings of Lee Marvin at the Tucson Mall. Charles Nelson-Reilly also lived in the Old Pueblo I believe and could occasionally be seen.

HappyJack, it is probably a good thing you did not press the issue with Linda’s mom/housekeeper. Keeping your job was more important than seeing Linda for less than a minute to deliver a package.

I see a couple of people have mentioned the Boondocks Lounge; I have mentioned it as somewhat of a landmark because of the bottle in front. It has been in Tucson for a long time.

I know we have a few music fans reading and if Happyjack has remained in Tucson since 1970, he (and others such as the person trying to recall the name of the indie record store) might remember a group called The Sand Rubies from the early 90s. I don’t think they got recognized that much nationally, but got quite a bit of air time on Tucson radio.

Did you know there was a remote town in northern Arizona named Happy Jack?

We had talked about a covered wagon that was on Prince and 1st near a Dunkin Donuts that was mentioned and close to Boondocks. I seem to remember it looking back. Was it in front of the present day apartment complex on the southwestern corner of the intersection?

Old 06-05-2015, 07:01 AM

22 posts, read 44,175 times
Yes musicfreeq, it would be awesome if google maps could do that. The first steps towards time travel. Perhaps there is some young geek at google working on it now. I just hope I am alive to see it. There is a grocery store at 1st ave. and Roger on what used to be an ugly little strip mall. Janetto Realty, a hair salon, and Hills saloon. I remember John Janetto asking 500k for that 5 acre lot, and Abe Hill, telling me we should buy it together. I didn't have anywhere near that kind of money. (neither did Abe) His bar was a hot spot for the track people, and all around that area were small horse farms. At 1st ave and limberlost was a steakhouse that had all this really well done tile work. It, along with 10 plus acres was sold all the way up to the river. Lou Parrish Builders built an office building there, along with an architect. I remember watching those buildings slowly get swallowed up by the Rillito River during the '83 flood. At Limberlost and Campbell there was this funky shopping center and Tom Bredlow's Blacksmith shop. He was always covered in soot from head to toe. One of my favorite stops, because he would always talk to me about pert near anything. A one of a kind artist. Pretty sure his place burnt down. Fyi azmemories, the original Boondocks lounge was located at Prince/Campbell. They bought what was called the Rhinecastle lounge on !st ave. The one with the bottle on the roof.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:06 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack70 View Post
Yes musicfreeq, it would be awesome if google maps could do that. The first steps towards time travel...
There IS a site that can sorta do that, NETR Historic Aerials. It takes a while to drill down but you can type an address. There are some 1980s, 1970s, 1960s and even late 50s overheads, not the best resolution, and a lot of black and white. The entire Tucson area is not covered by each year grouping. It's interesting to see where Tortolita ends in 1972 and how Rancho del Cerro grew up around it, the Tucson Mall, etc.

http://www.historicaerials.com/

Old 06-12-2015, 04:59 PM

69 posts, read 67,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
In addition to Goober or Psycho, there was another individual, rather short, who could often be seen around Tucson carrying a huge golf umbrella. He had blonde hair that was kind of long, except his was more darker and wavier than the bleach colored straight hair of the bus giggler.
When I first moved to the Tucson area in 1993, I would often see the guy with the shoulder length blonde hair riding a bike up Oracle Rd. with the huge umbrella. It seems he would go as far as Oracle junction or even farther.

Years later, I was having lunch with some friends at the Furr's cafeteria on St. Mary's and he was outside the restaurant on his bike, talking with friends, still using that huge umbrella. I was surprised how old he looked up close, but still had the shoulder length blonde hair.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:27 AM

Desertbunnee: Can you tell us when/which H.S. you attended?I thinkmaybe you graduated after me

Sluggo:
Tried checking out Historic Aerials. Not for long, only took a few minutes, and it was kind of difficult to see, esp. Windsor, back in the day, but what a cool thing! Wonder where they are getting their data? How they are verifying it? Very interesting.

Happyjack: So, maybe the young geek at Google isn't working fast enough ^ or maybe his will turn out to be better quality resolution! Hah! If there was a bar anywhere near the track, I'm sure my dad hit it a few times - do you remember its name? After work, he and his postal buds hung out at the Friendly Tavern - can't remember what street that was on?

Al Zymers: More stories about one of the geezer guys - wonder if anyone will ever happen onto this forum and identify these guys? Wouldn't you love to know more about them?

Old 06-13-2015, 09:45 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,609,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
Did you know there was a remote town in northern Arizona named Happy Jack?
Yep. Happy Jack, AZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Zymers View Post
When I first moved to the Tucson area in 1993, I would often see the guy with the shoulder length blonde hair riding a bike up Oracle Rd. with the huge umbrella. It seems he would go as far as Oracle junction or even farther.

Years later, I was having lunch with some friends at the Furr's cafeteria on St. Mary's and he was outside the restaurant on his bike, talking with friends, still using that huge umbrella. I was surprised how old he looked up close, but still had the shoulder length blonde hair.
Every city & town has people like these guys (and gals) who are seemingly roaming the streets randomly -- lost souls (mostly from another era) -- out there trying to survive life in their own particular way.

One time, in downtown Tucson, there was a small, older man wandering along near Congress and Scott Street, and some guys on the corner shouted over to him, "Hey, Captain Crunch, how are you doing today? Find any quarters on the sidewalk?" He looked over at them and waved. He apparently was just another one of society's outcasts (?), which are humorously spoken of and recognized daily by the downtown locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson