Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 06:44 AM

700 posts, read 918,484 times

Advertisements

musicfreeq, I am so envious of your memories! I had a fine upbringing ages 3-10 in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains in East Tennessee, from which all my ancestors hail the last couple centuries or three; but I would have also loved to have grown up in Tucson. I enjoy hearing about it very much.

We moved to Tucson and the UA in 1981, so I do remember the Wildcat House and Bum Steer; but I was already almost 30 when we moved, so my disco- and bar-hopping days were ill-spent elsewhere. However, it wasn't long before I was thoroughly infected by Wildcat fever and have been a complete convert ever since. We had lived in the Inland Empire in SoCal, so I already knew I was very fond of the desert.

Btw, on weekends we have been treating ourselves to an episode of Petrocelli, which we found in its entirety on You Tube. (I would happily buy DVD's, but there aren't any.) We watch one at a time because there are only 44 episodes. It's such a treat to see Tucson that way. Last weekend the episode happened to feature the Bum Steer, I think. They didn't go upstairs so I could see all the junque hanging from the ceiling, so I can't be absolutely certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:18 AM

137 posts, read 415,787 times
WilmaWildcat: AZ Wildcats - of course! Me being the music freak, I never think sports (much to the chagrin of the males in the family!) I immediately thought of the club! Hah! You can tell where my head's at: a phrase that suits me best is "my brain's on music." Like 95% of the time!

I forgot about Petrocelli - I used to watch that and feel thrilled that it was filmed in Tucson! I must look it up! Just for another little walk down memory lane ...

There have been old TV shows that have not been available on DVD that I have seen on eBay: either pirated versions (??) or in the UK or such ... also video cassette privately-taped copies ... I've never bought any. I put in a request on Amazon years ago for the mid 90's episodes of NYPD Blue (when Jimmy Smits was on) and it took 5 or so years, but they finally notified me they were available.

Maybe give it a try? If a few requests came in, maybe they would think about it. But Petrocelli is a few years older so maybe not ...

And the Bum Steer ... had forgotten about that, too! I think that's where my aunt got the idea to suspend all these kitchen utensils from her kitchen ceiling ... it looked really cool ... that's a sweet memory, too, since she's been gone for years ... Sigh ...

Old 07-24-2015, 10:06 PM

68 posts, read 216,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
Sambo's is not around anymore? That sounds like the location of the Village Inn I mentioned.
I do remember that location of Sambo's. Odd that it didn't strike me as racist at the time. But my memory is of finding $10 bill lying on the ground in the parking lot one day, just when I needed $10 for dope. I thought the higher power was with me that day.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Zymers View Post
When I first moved to the Tucson area in 1993, I would often see the guy with the shoulder length blonde hair riding a bike up Oracle Rd. with the huge umbrella. It seems he would go as far as Oracle junction or even farther.

Years later, I was having lunch with some friends at the Furr's cafeteria on St. Mary's and he was outside the restaurant on his bike, talking with friends, still using that huge umbrella. I was surprised how old he looked up close, but still had the shoulder length blonde hair.
Furr's cafeteria! I'd completely forgotten about that place. We had no money when I was growing up in Tucson, so for special occasions we'd go to Furr's or a Chinese restaurant. Thanks for the memory, Al!

Old 08-14-2015, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,495 times
The carhop place you worked was the Frontier Drive In. Loved their Steerburgers with fries in a basket. The slide place that you recall was an asthmatic foundation bld. of sorts. Moved to Tucson in 1957 at 3 years of age. Graduated from Palo Verde H.S. in 72

Old 08-16-2015, 12:35 PM

Default Lucky Wishbone?

I left Tucson in about 1974 and in the 40+ years since then I have missed the Wishbone always. I've never found anything like it. I worked there over 6 years during high school and college and loved it, although it was hard, greasy work. Worked for Bud Morris, who was one of the original employees of founder Derald Fulton's Polar Bar in the early 50's (later turned into Wishbone) in Tucson. It was definitely a good place to work while in school: flexible hours, popular place where everyone came at least once in a while, better than minimum wage, and free meals.

Never found a replacement for steak fingers. I've long ago forgotten the exact recipe for the breading. How can I forget something I did a thousand times?? But I have come close a few times at home: dredge in flour, dip in some kind of thin buttermilk pancake batter, finish off in some kind of a flour/cracker or corn meal/salt and pepper mixture and fry. Mmmmmm.

No chicken compares to the pan-fried we had. It was pre-fried in a shallow fryer in the back room, like a giant frying pan, not quite to done. Then when someone ordered it we finished it off in the deep fryer for a couple of minutes. Came out much tastier than chicken done completely in the deep fryer.

The Guaymas shrimp were fantastic. We got them prepared, breaded and frozen from a supplier and they were better than any other around. They weren't the split/butterfly kind you see everywhere. They were whole and heavenly.

I remember when we decided to introduce the chicken sandwich: The Breast O' Chicken, or BOC. We weren't sure how well it would go over, but it was an immediate hit. Not sure how they are now, or if they even still sell them, but they were fab at the time. A BOC with cheese was a great meal.

Of course we could eat whatever meals we wanted during break, but had to pay for anything we took home. My usual at-work meal choices were steak fingers, shrimp or a Lucky Burger with coleslaw on top. The Bone's slaw had just the right balance of sweet and sour.

Any other recollections of Lucky Wishbone?

Last edited by OceanaMan; 08-16-2015 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-16-2015, 01:26 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanaMan View Post
I left Tucson in about 1974 and in the 40+ years since then I have missed the Wishbone always. I've never found anything like it. I worked there over 6 years during high school and college and loved it, although it was hard, greasy work. Worked for Bud Morris, who was one of the original employees of founder Derald Fulton's Polar Bar in the early 50's (later turned into Wishbone) in Tucson. It was definitely a good place to work while in school: flexible hours, popular place where everyone came at least once in a while, better than minimum wage, and free meals.

Never found a replacement for steak fingers. I've long ago forgotten the exact recipe for the breading. How can I forget something I did a thousand times?? But I have come close a few times at home: dredge in flour, dip in some kind of thin buttermilk pancake batter, finish off in some kind of a flour/cracker or corn meal/salt and pepper mixture and fry. Mmmmmm.

No chicken compares to the pan-fried we had. It was pre-fried in a shallow fryer in the back room, like a giant frying pan, not quite to done. Then when someone ordered it we finished it off in the deep fryer for a couple of minutes. Came out much tastier than chicken done completely in the deep fryer.

The Guaymas shrimp were fantastic. We got them prepared, breaded and frozen from a supplier and they were better than any other around. They weren't the split/butterfly kind you see everywhere. They were whole and heavenly.

I remember when we decided to introduce the chicken sandwich: The Breast O' Chicken, or BOC. We weren't sure how well it would go over, but it was an immediate hit. Not sure how they are now, or if they even still sell them, but they were fab at the time. A BOC with cheese was a great meal.

Of course we could eat whatever meals we wanted during break, but had to pay for anything we took home. My usual at-work meal choices were steak fingers, shrimp or a Lucky Burger with coleslaw on top. The Bone's slaw had just the right balance of sweet and sour.

Any other recollections of Lucky Wishbone?
Here's their website, Oceana Man:

Lucky Wishbone - A

Old 08-16-2015, 01:30 PM

927 posts, read 758,082 times
I love Tucson. I'd live there if I knew anybody

Old 08-17-2015, 08:23 AM

Steven Morris: I'm prob'ly being lazy and not scrolling back, but what is the asthmatic foundation you are referring to? My brother had asthma really bad when we first moved to Tucson in 1958 and spent time in a center devoted to asthmatics, so I am curious. Welcome, BTW

O'Man: My family LOVED Lucky Wishbone's Shrimp Baskets-they were the best! Chicken was good, but the shrimp was better. Theirs was the first shrimp I'd ever had, and LW set the bar high! Can I order some for dinner?!

Colt Cassidy: Thanx for the LW link - will check it out

norman_w: When and how did you come to love Tucson but don't know anyone?

Always glad to have some new blood here and to share our great memories with!

Old 08-22-2015, 08:07 AM

Colt Cassidy: I checked out the Lucky Wishbone website and was surprised to see how many locations they had and it looks like they have added to their menu. Are you still in Tucson and know that they still exist? The website is dated several years back and I can't tell. Just wondering ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson