Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 09:10 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
Colt Cassidy: I checked out the Lucky Wishbone website and was surprised to see how many locations they had and it looks like they have added to their menu. Are you still in Tucson and know that they still exist? The website is dated several years back and I can't tell. Just wondering ...
Hey, Musicfreeq! I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere, and nowhere in particular. The best way to describe it is that Colt's a wandering Arizonan! Lucky Wishbone is one of Tucson's original food establishments (since 1953), along with Eegee's (since 1971) and El Charro (since 1922!). I'm happy to say that I frequent each one of those as often as possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 09:42 AM

68 posts, read 216,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreiser View Post
I was lead singer and songwriter for The Grodes/Tongues of Truth/Spring Fever from 1965-1968. I would appreciate (definition: pay for) ANY footage of our band in action. Also looking for any info re clubs at the time: Dunes, Dollhouse, Smiley's Embers -- SUNSET ROLLERAMA, where we backed Wilson Picket and opened for Gary Lewis & The Playboys during the summer of '66, when our Love Is A Sad Song was doing well on KTKT. Please contact me at nuggitz@aol.com.
Can't help you on any footage. Back in those days it would have required a pretty big and expensive 8mm film recorder?

But the name The Grodes does sound familiar. Do you remember whether you played any dances at Amphi? That would have been me, back in the corner too shy to be dancing...

Old 08-23-2015, 09:50 AM

Looking at some old docs about Tucson and come across a report by the planning dept which has this quote:
iii
Oracle Area Historic Context Study
Tucson is situated in beautiful mesquite riverbed country, over looked by the snowy Catalina range.
The city was one big construction job; the people transient, wild, ambitious, busy, gay; washlines,
trailers, bustling downtown streets with banners; altogether very Californian.
Jack Kerouac
On The Road

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/prese...text_Study.pdf

Last edited by OceanaMan; 08-23-2015 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Add link

Old 08-23-2015, 01:06 PM

Default Tucson Photos bygone days--Charlie Schmidt

Still sportin' the Beer-can boots and fake mole.
Tucson Museum - Tucson Museum Photo & Video Exhibits

Old 08-23-2015, 05:40 PM

8 posts, read 21,864 times
Default Frontier Drive inn

Steven Morris,
That Frontier Drive Inn steerburger and fries "basket" was called a "boat" wasnt it! I had my first ever "submarine" sandwich at the Frontier after church one Sunday in say 1968ish... Changed my life! Grew up in the Coronado Baptist Church at Park and Copper. Anyone remember the little mom-pop grocery directly across the street on the NE corner of Park and Copper? I cant for the life of me remember the name! We seldom went out to eat, but a few times, we went to "Frampton-Stone Cafeteria" on 4th Ave where Brooklyns pizza/Skybar are now! Keith

Old 08-25-2015, 09:23 AM

137 posts, read 415,787 times
desertpagoda:As familiar as the name "Frontier" sounds to me, I can't place it. Please refresh me! Also, what was it's time frame?

We've talked before about the Frostop Drive-in (I even located an old menu!!) It was super close to Amphi and we went there alot for their "BURGER BOATS." Do you think Frontier called theirs that as well??

At Frostop, you got a large, super yummy burger, fries and a frosty glass mug of root beer for 50 cents back in the 60's. It was prob'ly our fave hangout for food and we would only choose to go to the Burger Chef over near Stone or First Ave. when we were broke, because their burgers were like, 15 cents each - but more like a Happy Meal burger; we'd pass on the fries but go for a Coke (standard soda back in the day) and keep our bill to 25 cents

Burger Chef was the place I remember having 10 burgers for a dollar on Fridays or certain days they chose to have a promotion. If it was Fridays, I figure it had to be because they were in/near Sacred Heart parish, we Catholics ate no meat on Fridays back then and maybe their sales were down because of that? Just guessing ...

Old 08-27-2015, 08:30 AM

O'Man: Now every time I check this board, I have to look at Charlie - I think I need him deleted and just the link to replace, is that possible??!!

What a creeper!! And just how comfortable do you think walking on crunched up beer cans would be?? Does that tell you what a desperate and sick man he was? Even his fellow prisoners must have thought so, given the number of times they stabbed him, right?

Old 08-28-2015, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,021 times
The Pied Piper of Tucson. Wow. What a sick b@stard. Before my time, and only heard of him fairly recently, but wow. What a loser. Glad he got what he had coming once he got to jail.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:51 PM

406 posts, read 623,561 times
The fake mole, among other clues, tells me this pic was taken after he was arrested in his early 20s. He looks older than that.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:00 PM

azmemories: Yes, he does look older, but it's doubtful that he would be wearing those beer-can boots once he was arrested/incarcerated let alone during or after his trial?? Maybe someone will recognize it and clue us in - I'm gonna look in my Tucson book also by the AZ Daily Star reporter I bought last year and see if she has written about the saga of the Pied Piper of Tucson - UGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson