Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 08:37 AM

137 posts, read 415,669 times

Advertisements

Checked "Tucson Memories" (bought off eBay) and lots of interesting articles by local AZ Daily Star reporter, Bonnie Henry, for a span from the 60's into the 80's and a few previous. Nada about Charles Schmidt, but lots of interesting articles: the Food Giant airplane crash, the Supreme Cleaners explosion, the rise and fall of our beloved Johnies (at one time there were FOUR of them!)
She even wrote "Teen Times" articles about local bands such as The Llewellens and The Ramblers. And about the times that the greats Elvis and Buddy Holly came to town (in the 50'sbefore most of our times?! ) and caused the principal of Catalina High (lucky ducks! CHS was so-o happenin' back in the day) to curse rock music ... ahhh, the good ol' days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 01:51 PM

406 posts, read 623,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
Checked "Tucson Memories" (bought off eBay) and lots of interesting articles by local AZ Daily Star reporter, Bonnie Henry, for a span from the 60's into the 80's and a few previous. Nada about Charles Schmidt, but lots of interesting articles: the Food Giant airplane crash, the Supreme Cleaners explosion, the rise and fall of our beloved Johnies (at one time there were FOUR of them!)
She even wrote "Teen Times" articles about local bands such as The Llewellens and The Ramblers. And about the times that the greats Elvis and Buddy Holly came to town (in the 50'sbefore most of our times?! ) and caused the principal of Catalina High (lucky ducks! CHS was so-o happenin' back in the day) to curse rock music ... ahhh, the good ol' days...

That was interesting about the Food Giant airplane crash. I had known about the air force jet crashing near the U of A in the late 70s, but was not aware there was another, earlier accident.

Did Bonnie Henry talk about the flooding in the 80s or the Hoskinson case that occurred about a year after?

I bring up another not so well remembered incident that took place in this era. For a few weeks there was an individual who was throwing rocks at houses from the surrounding desert landscape. The story made the local news on an almost daily basis. It was not so much the damage the responsible person caused, but his/her persistency that made it newsworthy. I think they would barrage homes with rocks all night long for several weeks.

Does this story ring a bell with anyone?

Old 09-07-2015, 04:02 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,160 times
Default June 10, 1956: Elvis Presley performs at the rodeo grounds in Tucson, AZ

Quote:
She even wrote "Teen Times" articles about local bands such as The Llewellens and The Ramblers. And about the times that the greats Elvis and Buddy Holly came to town (in the 50's before most of our times?! ) and caused the principal of Catalina High (lucky ducks! CHS was so-o happenin' back in the day) to curse rock music ... ahhh, the good ol' days...

Old 09-08-2015, 08:51 AM

azmemories: I don't find anything about the flood,the Hoskinson case (which I'm not sure what that was?) or the rock-throwing saga. I have not read the entire book, but checked its fairly inclusive index for these topics. If there are any other key words you can think of, I'll be glad to look for them. Maybe if you can remember better the approximate years - she may have mentioned them within another section I've yet to read.

Colt Cassidy: Great pictures - don't you love it? We didn't arrive in Tucson til a couple years later - summer of 1958 - but my mom and aunt were HUGE Elvis fans and would wig out whenever he made an appearance on Ed Sullivan - remember how ol' Ed always got the good ones first? 'Course, there wasn't much in the way of TV back in those days and Dick Clark didn't get them all Altho' he did get some great ones - I loved that show. Bonnie writes how the Llewallans made an appearance on Bandstand in 1968, same time frame as James Brown and Glen Campbell. How cool was that?

Back to Elvis: Bonnie writes about the appearance at the rodeo grounds: over 2,000 people, and two PAID screamers!!?? that got everyone else screaming and then-AZ Daily Star photog, Jack Sheaffer, complained later that Elvis was writhing so that he couldn't get good pictures - Elvis wouldn't stand still! Hah!

Elvis made a couple more appearances in Tucson in '72 and '76 - the year before he died. Sheaffer states Elvis was much heavier, sweating profusely under a white light, and no cameras were allowed.

And, O'Man: the girl interviewed in the Elvis article talks about how they had to stop for a quick Coke at Lucky Wishbone on their way to the rodeo grounds, that day back in '56...

Old 09-08-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
azmemories: I don't find anything about the flood,the Hoskinson case (which I'm not sure what that was?) or the rock-throwing saga. I have not read the entire book, but checked its fairly inclusive index for these topics. If there are any other key words you can think of, I'll be glad to look for them. Maybe if you can remember better the approximate years - she may have mentioned them within another section I've yet to read.

Colt Cassidy: Great pictures - don't you love it? We didn't arrive in Tucson til a couple years later - summer of 1958 - but my mom and aunt were HUGE Elvis fans and would wig out whenever he made an appearance on Ed Sullivan - remember how ol' Ed always got the good ones first? 'Course, there wasn't much in the way of TV back in those days and Dick Clark didn't get them all Altho' he did get some great ones - I loved that show. Bonnie writes how the Llewallans made an appearance on Bandstand in 1968, same time frame as James Brown and Glen Campbell. How cool was that?

Back to Elvis: Bonnie writes about the appearance at the rodeo grounds: over 2,000 people, and two PAID screamers!!?? that got everyone else screaming and then-AZ Daily Star photog, Jack Sheaffer, complained later that Elvis was writhing so that he couldn't get good pictures - Elvis wouldn't stand still! Hah!

Elvis made a couple more appearances in Tucson in '72 and '76 - the year before he died. Sheaffer states Elvis was much heavier, sweating profusely under a white light, and no cameras were allowed.

And, O'Man: the girl interviewed in the Elvis article talks about how they had to stop for a quick Coke at Lucky Wishbone on their way to the rodeo grounds, that day back in '56...
Paid SCREAMERS for Elvis?

My understanding is that the ladies used to scream for Frank Sinatra back in the 40's and early 50's as well, however I'd have to research regarding any PAID screamers for him back then!

Old 09-08-2015, 07:47 PM

406 posts, read 623,392 times
Quote:

The flood and rock throwing saga occurred in 1983. The rock throwing happening earlier in the year than the flood which struck in October. I would be very surprised if the flood does not get at least mentioned somewhere in a book about Tucson's past.

The Hoskinson case was about the little girl named Vicki Lynn Hoskinson who was kidnapped near Homer Davis Elementary. The story was huge in 1984. The entire city was looking for her. Eventually Frank Atwood was arrested and convicted, but a cloud of doubt remains about his guilt. He has been on death row for close to 30 years.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:27 PM

azmemories: Because I left Tucson around 1970, I won't remember as much about the local history unless my mom happened to relate it to me - I went back to visit a couple times a year but Mom passed in October of 1983. I think we talked about the rain because it rained the morning of her funeral but stopped in time for the graveside service, which was nice Mom was pretty sick that last year of her life and I don't remember anything about the rock throwing but do recall hearing about the Hoskinson case when I went home to visit my dad, who read the paper daily. Sad story.

I will skim abit looking for something about the floods

Colt Cassidy: In Bonnie Henry's book, "Tucson Memories", on page 208, Jack Sheaffer is being interviewed for the article on Elvis and is quoted, "They were hired screamers. A brunette and a blonde. I first noticed the blonde at the (earlier) press conference." And again at the beginning of the concert. 'At first when Elvis started singing, it was all quiet as a church mouse, then up pops this blonde in the stands, yelling and screaming. People were watching her more than Elvis. Then all the little girls started screaming, too."

The Tucson Citizen also noted (upon Elvis' death): "Employees of several Tucson record stores, whose sales of Presley albums sagged in recent years, reported that customers were buying them in droves yesterday afternoon and evening."

azmemories: I just flipped to the back of the book, past the index, and see an ad for yet another of Bonnie's books, "Another Tucson", which contains many more memories "because Tucson has far more too many to contain in a single book," and they go on to mention Steinfeld's, Jacomes, the Fox-Tucson Theater and the Pioneer Hotel - and who knows what all. Because it is published in 1992, I'll bet the Hoskinson story and those about the rock throwing and floods will be in there. Back to eBay I go .... What can I say? I've become a Tucson-history junkie

Old 09-08-2015, 09:48 PM

OK, Bonnie's other book, "Another Tucson," is on order: Amazon has a few, eBay, none. It contains articles she wrote for the AZ Daily Star, as does the other, "Tucson Memories" published in 2006. The first book was published in 1992 and includes both "dirt and what the Chamber of Commerce wants you to know" about Tucson - supposedly a must-read for adults who have spent their youth growing up when most of us on this forum did - and gets good reviews. I'll keep y'all posted ...

Old 09-09-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
OK, Bonnie's other book, "Another Tucson," is on order: Amazon has a few, eBay, none. It contains articles she wrote for the AZ Daily Star, as does the other, "Tucson Memories" published in 2006. The first book was published in 1992 and includes both "dirt and what the Chamber of Commerce wants you to know" about Tucson - supposedly a must-read for adults who have spent their youth growing up when most of us on this forum did - and gets good reviews. I'll keep y'all posted ...
Bonnie Henry's an excellent source for Tucson's own American Graffiti days!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:29 AM

700 posts, read 918,177 times
I bought both Bonnie's books when they were originally published; the Star has had some interesting books published, like Greg Hansen's sports book, too. They published a book of Tucson Oddities, a compilation of the very popular column they ran for a period of time. Loved that column, and the book is good. I'm waiting for them to publish a "Street Smarts" compilation from the long-running and also popular column of the same name. It's a real who's-who of Tucson history. I love that column.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson