Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 09:00 AM

137 posts, read 415,721 times

Advertisements

I am so tickled to see that some newbies have discovered this site! So fun!

MerciChoi, I lived in Tucson from 1958 to 1969 or '70 and the only time I saw a javelina was when one of my dad's post office hunting buddies shot one and came by and draped its body over one of our trash cans at the road! My mom totally freaked out when she went out to the street to add more garbage! She was stressed out for a couple hours wondering if the garbage men would take it. Thank God they did, but how funny was that. I think my dad took a picture with his old Brownie camera (this was early 60's.)

My cousins and I hung out in the nearby desert area adjacent to our neighborhood (near Roger Rd. and Limberlost) and saw tons of lizards, black widows and a few scorpions; once, what we thought was a Gila monster, although I'm not sure it wasn't just a very large alligator lizard. Like the one the cat brought in the cat door and deposited in the bathtub - Yikes! Oh, yeah, and lots of horned toads that we referred to as "horny toads" at the time.

And Lynn, for you to know Wendy Fritz - how terrible and scary that must have been for you! I'm convinced we hung out at many of the same places Charles used to frequent: I was a teenager back then and we cruised Speedway alot. It was the thing to do. I graduated from Amphi in 1967 - just abit older than you and Horseman.

Horseman: You went to half the high schools in Tucson at the time! That must have been an experience! I had friends at Catalina and Salpointe and the drummer for The Panics went to Rincon in the mid to late 60's. I remember when a good friend's dad took a new job and they moved where she then went to Palo Verde. Seemed like the other side of the universe at the time. Very few of us had cars - only the occasional use of one.

azmemories: I am trying to recall the park you mentioned but cannot picture it. What kind of park was it? Playground equipment? Tables and benches? Used for ball games?

I know all the bands you guys are mentioning and would have DIED back then to see Paul Revere and the Raiders! What a crush I had on the lead singer - hah! And The Doors? Geez, about the only live music I got to hear back then at the clubs were the locals - I wish I could say I'd seen The Doors ... Except for The Animals, and I already recanted that story ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 03:05 PM

13 posts, read 42,045 times
I looked-up the Hendrix "concert" and it's listed as happening at the VIP Club in Feb of 1968. I remember him playing at the east Speedway ice rink place and I still think that's right. Wasn't half of the ice rink area closed and re-opened as the VIP Club? Anybody have that memory?

I do remember I was standing about 15' from Hendrix as he played. There really was no stage per se, just Hendrix playing in the corner of a very small place with people sitting on the floor.

Hendrix had played a large venue in Phx the night before and was probably surprised at playing to such a small group the following night in Tucson. I imagine the club owner had probably taken a chance and booked Hendrix at a much earlier date when he was a relative unknown musician. Surprise!

Yes Musicfreeq, I think I pretty much wore-out my welcome at most schools...

Old 12-22-2015, 10:51 PM

6 posts, read 23,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
Wow, I was pleasantly surprised to see all the new activity in here. I too am curious where you were MerciChoi when you were surrounded by javelinas? You must have been there for the mini-flood in 93 (not as bad as the one in 1983).

That is eerie that you knew Wendy Fritz, Lynn. Did you associate with the crowd that hung around near or on Speedway? I am basing that solely on the episode that stated the teenagers congregated in a specific spot and Speedway was mentioned. I always wondered if the park on the southeast corner of Speedway and Stone was there in the early 60s. If so, was that a place they could have hung out?
I only knew Wendy peripherally. It was Gretchen who did all the crazy stuff and unfortunately took Wendy along that night. I think they hung out at Himmel Park...Tucson Blvd. just south of Speedway.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:47 AM

406 posts, read 623,460 times
The park on the southeast corner of Speedway and Stone was more or less a big open space that featured a section of sand volleyball courts. I do not recall much in the way of tables and chairs or playground equipment. It was also frequented by a lot of homeless people being close to several bus routes, cheap motel rooms and I-10. PCC had their downtown campus very close by and there was a Pizza Hut on the northeast corner of the intersection if that rings any bells with anyone. It seems PCC has since annexed their property as the Pizza Hut is no longer there.

Himmel Park would have been close to where the Fritz sisters lived. What a tragedy!

Horseman, I do enjoy reading your stories about concerts in what sounds like makeshift venues. That was a funny story about the place you witnessed Hendrix. Was Hi Corbett Field about the same size as it was in the 1980s? Did The Doors sell out? I remember Hi Corbett once fit about 10K for an Indians' spring training game. Fun place to go and watch the Toros' also.

As I have mentioned before, the movie Major League features several scenes of Hi Corbett including one where you can read the LOCAL Tucson advertisers on the home run wall. Most the other ads are national chains. Just some food for thought if you miss baseball in Tucson and were feeling nostalgic.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:01 AM

Azmemories -- I don't remember if the Doors sold-out but the place was pretty crowded so I'm guessing it probably did. Unfortunately, we didn't have the price of admission (I remember it may have been $2) so we climbed over an area that had a chain link gate.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:28 AM

I think I'm talking to myself but re Mother Higgins, she died during the 50's so she never saw the stellar generation of the 60's...lol.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:35 AM

6 posts, read 23,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman100 View Post
I think I'm talking to myself but re Mother Higgins, she died during the 50's so she never saw the stellar generation of the 60's...lol.
Oh, hubs is an alumni from the 60s. Found this info.
Her calling was caring for kids - Tucson Citizen Morgue, Part 2 (1993-2009)

Old 12-27-2015, 10:17 AM

68 posts, read 216,939 times
Good old Mother Higgins. If I remember correctly, it was off the I-10 somewhere. I had more than just warnings about it. I was pretty much an incorrigible and I had to go there for shooting up F.O. Holaway Elementary school with a BB gun in early 60's. Got sentenced to helping the janitor after school for an hour a day. Boy, was my Mom proud of her oldest son! (uh-huh)

For some reason I missed out on all those concerts people mention in this forum. I knew about them, but I guess we were too busy using mild altering substances and beer out in the boonies on the East side, drag racing on Speedway and Sabino Canyon road, or "waiting for the man" at Himmel Park. The first Tucson concert I attended was Jethro Tull, at the old Sports Park. I was scared sh***ss because it was the first time I'd smoked dope at a concert.

But then it was concerts, concerts, concerts. Tucson Community Center, Sports Park, various Phoenix forums. In '72 at the Tucson Convention Center saw the Stone's Sticky Fingers tour (you, know, the big red tongue?) and Led Zeppelin's "apology" concert. They had played at the Coliseum in Phoenix a year or so earlier, and frankly were out of sync and not what we paid to see. But when they came to Tucson they acknowledged that their PHX concert hadn't been very good (how on earth would they have even remembered that Phoenix was in the same state as Tucson??), and proceeded to blow everyone out of the water with one of the best and protracted concerts ever.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:10 PM

137 posts, read 415,721 times
Oh, the talk about Mother Higgins again! We may have discussed this before, but if she died in 1957, acc. to the article Lynn cites (see above) I'm wondering why our parents threatened us with going to "Mother Higgins" every time we went astray? We didn't even move to Tucson until July 1958, and my cousins just months earlier, so I'm not sure how Mom and her sisters even knew about Ma Higgins to hold it over our heads! Obviously, her reputation preceded - or maybe I should say superceded her Whatever - she must have been a fixture for a L-O-N-G time given the way everyone knew who/what she was and what she represented. Wonder if ol' Charlie Schmidt ever saw the inside of her walls? Probably not, or maybe he would not have done away with several young girls the way he did

O'Man, you truly must have been incorrigible and I'm wondering why I'm not remembering that? Maybe 'cause I was two years ahead of you at Amphi and you hadn't come into your own yet ... I would venture to guess those "mind-altering substances" you were doing back in the 60's could have enhanced your concert experiences? Hah! I would have given my eye teeth to have seen the Sticky Fingers tour. But the best I could do was to have my BFF gift me their "12 X 5" album. Sigh ...the good ol' days ...

Old 12-27-2015, 07:06 PM

I remember seeing Pink Floyd at the TCC in their very early days in the 60"s. They used the "stage smoke/fog" for most of the concert which we all thought was way far-out at the time, since then of course, every band has employed the effect. I must say that was the ultimate drug-concert I have ever experienced. I saw them again when they played the baseball stadium in Phx and all I could come-up with was a few wine coolers, but still it was a good concert.

O--Man, you're a lucky guy to have caught a Zeppelin concert. Not many people can lay claim to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson