U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman100 View Post
I think I'm talking to myself but re Mother Higgins, she died during the 50's so she never saw the stellar generation of the 60's...lol.
I was born in Tucson in 1961 and lived there until I was 16 then I was banashed to the land of Miss-ouri. Mother Higgins was still a parents threat when kids got a little out of hand. I always thought she was made up but I used her on my kids. Glad to find out she was a real person. Now I can show this to them. Thanks

Last edited by aznativerussell; 01-05-2016 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 03:49 PM

405 posts, read 494,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznativerussell View Post
I was born in Tucson in 1961 and lived there until I was 16 then I was banashed to the land of Miss-ouri. Mother Higgins was still a parents threat when kids got a little out of hand. I always thought she was made up but I used her on my kids. Glad to find out she was a real person. Now I can show this to them. Thanks
In regard to your question about Mt. Lemmon. The community at the top of the mountain is actually Summerhaven. As you said, Winterhaven was the subdivision elaborately decorated with Christmas lights and it was near Ft Lowell and Country Club.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
In regard to your question about Mt. Lemmon. The community at the top of the mountain is actually Summerhaven. As you said, Winterhaven was the subdivision elaborately decorated with Christmas lights and it was near Ft Lowell and Country Club.
Thats right I remembered that it was actually Summer Haven a short while after I posted. Its been to many years since I left home. There were oh so many roads. I guess I lost my way. (bob Seager)

Old 01-23-2016, 02:06 PM

Today is one to remember the Tucson winters, 78 degrees and sunny when I checked a few minutes ago, for those of us who are in the Northeast US.

A couple of nice people have given me a positive reputation on my post regarding the park on the southeast corner of Speedway and Stone. It looks like those sand volleyball courts are still there when I looked on Google Earth.

I want to correct something in that post. The Pizza Hut, since torn down, was on the north WEST (not northeast) corner of the intersection.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:48 AM

135 posts, read 339,551 times
Not that I can complain, being in SoCal where it has been in the 60's for sometime now and supposed to reach the 70's today, but, yes, I remember those oh-so-sunny days when we played outside all day everyday, and never had to dig into the basement for the winter gear! ('course we had no basements either When we lived in CT in the 90's and my kids were small, what a drag that was, to be squeezing them into their snowsuits and find their hats and mittens! Hah! And you had to drag out your cold weather clothes a few months ago, right, azmemories, and then had to suffer thru this last storm, which sounded like a doozy! Unlike the one last year that was warned about and did not materialize into anything like they predicted ... Oh well, you Tucsonians enjoy and bask in the sunshine!

Old 01-28-2016, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,783 times
anyone know the dj at the After the Goldrush disco in 1977-1978? Mark something?

Old 01-30-2016, 09:50 AM

135 posts, read 339,551 times
Sorry, lovetodance, I left Tucson around 1970 so that was after my time! Believe me when I tell you that if the place was a good one and he played good music, I would have been there

Old 01-31-2016, 11:20 AM

68 posts, read 174,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post

I want to correct something in that post. The Pizza Hut, since torn down, was on the north WEST (not northeast) corner of the intersection.
I remember a park on the southeast corner of Stone and Speedway, but draw a complete blank on the southwest corner.

As for the north side of Speedway, wasn't there a diner (Sambo's maybe?) on the NE corner? In the day, the Speedway cruising route was basically from Johnnie's far east on Speedway to Stone Ave at the west end, turn around, rinse and repeat....

And at some point in the early 70's I think the first Burger King I ever saw popped up on Stone at the NW corner, or near it.

That intersection is memorable to me because it was there I had my first car crash, at 19 or 20. I was going east on Speedway approaching my left turn (north) on Stone when the light turned yellow; the oncoming car heading west on Speedway stopped for the light and I started my turn. Suddenly the car BEHIND the stopped one swerved around it and ran the red light, clipping the back end of my old VW Beetle.

The occupants were New Yorkers in a huge hurry to get to the freeway to the airport. They kept saying they were going to leave, not wait for the cops to arrive, but fortunately the cop got there quickly. He saw how frantic they were to get going, but they both said the light was green and I caused the accident (all other witnesses had left) so the cop said he had no choice but to give ME the ticket! I protested mildly, and he acknowledged their impatience and probable lying about the light, and told me if I contested the ticket I'd get it dropped because they wouldn't come back from New York to appear in court, which turned out to be correct.

What really stood out about the incident is that I was a long-haired, bell bottoms-wearing Viet Nam-protesting hippy driving a Bug (probably with a stash inside), and was used to being scorned; most people in AZ didn't have much tolerance for hippies in the day. But here was this cop willing to help me get justice even though his hands were figuratively tied. No way did I expect a cop to go out of his way to help me when I was used to stares and cat calls everywhere I went! When I showed up for court he was there, but not the New Yorkers. I thanked him mightily!

Old 01-31-2016, 11:41 AM

68 posts, read 174,977 times
Default Anyone remember the Panda Steak House?

Just posting my periodic plea to hear from someone who remembers Joe Beauchamp's Panda Steak House on the west side of 1st Ave just north of Grant. My first "real" job was there. It was an old fashioned steak joint with great food (at least I thought it was great, since I got to eat stuff I could never afford otherwise.)

Old 01-31-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanaMan View Post
I remember a park on the southeast corner of Stone and Speedway, but draw a complete blank on the southwest corner.

As for the north side of Speedway, wasn't there a diner (Sambo's maybe?) on the NE corner? In the day, the Speedway cruising route was basically from Johnnie's far east on Speedway to Stone Ave at the west end, turn around, rinse and repeat....

And at some point in the early 70's I think the first Burger King I ever saw popped up on Stone at the NW corner, or near it.

That intersection is memorable to me because it was there I had my first car crash, at 19 or 20. I was going east on Speedway approaching my left turn (north) on Stone when the light turned yellow; the oncoming car heading west on Speedway stopped for the light and I started my turn. Suddenly the car BEHIND the stopped one swerved around it and ran the red light, clipping the back end of my old VW Beetle.

The occupants were New Yorkers in a huge hurry to get to the freeway to the airport. They kept saying they were going to leave, not wait for the cops to arrive, but fortunately the cop got there quickly. He saw how frantic they were to get going, but they both said the light was green and I caused the accident (all other witnesses had left) so the cop said he had no choice but to give ME the ticket! I protested mildly, and he acknowledged their impatience and probable lying about the light, and told me if I contested the ticket I'd get it dropped because they wouldn't come back from New York to appear in court, which turned out to be correct.

What really stood out about the incident is that I was a long-haired, bell bottoms-wearing Viet Nam-protesting hippy driving a Bug (probably with a stash inside), and was used to being scorned; most people in AZ didn't have much tolerance for hippies in the day. But here was this cop willing to help me get justice even though his hands were figuratively tied. No way did I expect a cop to go out of his way to help me when I was used to stares and cat calls everywhere I went! When I showed up for court he was there, but not the New Yorkers. I thanked him mightily!

I have seen Sambo’s mentioned before and seem to remember it being described near the sharp turn that changed Drachman into Oracle (a little bit north of Speedway). If that was the location, I only remember that establishment being a Village Inn. A nearby landmark would be the Tucson House residency almost directly across the street on the west side of Oracle. I believe West Adams Street would be nearest residential street to what I knew only as the Village Inn and possible former location of Sambo’s.

It is possible that the Pizza Hut on Speedway and Stone was a Burger King first. I think the reason you are drawing a blank about the southwest corner of the intersection is because it is a vacant lot and believe it always has been. During my time in the Old Pueblo, there was a fairly well known, kind of controversial bar called the Pig Pen relatively close to the intersection. They were known for what was probably their company vehicle(s), a VW Beetle (there were a lot of those in Tucson) with the words “Pig Pen” painted on it as well as the number 69 on both the driver and passenger doors. The employees also did a ritualistic jog along Speedway one morning a week carrying a banner bearing the name of the establishment. Those who patronized the bar might know of a couple of unusual policies that went along with drinking and/or dining there.

Now that I talked about the Pig Pen, I have to really go off on another tangent and bring up an incident involving the DJ’s of the popular radio station KRQ. It seems the morning crew made a bet with a Phoenix area station on the result of the annual UofA/ASU football game. The Wildcats lost and the Tucson radio crew, two men and a woman I think, jogged along Speedway during morning rush hour----NAKED! Their morning show was replaced a singular male DJ and quite a bit of air time was used play a recording that explained the replacement in frequent increments. The suspension may have been permanent or temporary, not sure which. I wanted to say 1991 and when I looked it up ASU won that game 37-14.

That is good you got your ticket dismissed O-Man. I think you may have been one of the pioneer hippies because by the time I got there they seemed to be prevalent. Approximately how far north of Grant was the steakhouse? Do the roads Alturas or Jacinto/Copper bring back memories? Jacinto is on the west side of 1st north of Alturas, while Copper is the same road that changes its name on the east side. Kelso? That is almost to Glenn though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson