Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 06:19 PM

406 posts, read 625,421 times

Advertisements

There has been something I too remain curious about; it is buried deep in the thread at this point. Does anyone remember the colorful Tucson character with bleach blonde hair that frequently rode the route 16 bus and could also be seen running along the shoulder of Oracle Road anywhere from say…..Glenn to Wetmore? He was very thin and went by the names Goober or Psycho, depending on who you spoke to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 06:28 PM

406 posts, read 625,421 times
Just in case you missed it or was wondering what our snow filled area looked like last week....
Attached Thumbnails
Tucson of the 60s,70s and 80s-c-d-1.jpg   Tucson of the 60s,70s and 80s-c-d-2.jpg  

Old 02-01-2016, 08:33 AM

137 posts, read 417,284 times
azmemories: I did not go back deep in this thread to recollect what was said about the skinny blond guy but I think that he happened after my time as well.

Hah - that you refer to the O-Man as a pioneer hippie - I like that phrase and can think of several people that the description fits And I agree, it suits him, right O-Man?!

I am quite sure it was Sambo's at the Drachman/Oracle junction - I can vaguely recall the sign of the little Aladdin-like little guy with his tiger side-kick. I loved that old story - so politically incorrect, but so engaging with the tigers running themselves into a pile of butter then made into pancakes - we have a tiny little hard-cover book of the original story that is too cute for words and probably easily over 50 yrs old. My kids loved the story as much as we did as kids.

I remember the names of all the streets you mention -residential, right? I had a friend who lived on Jacinto - weren't they still the Amphi school district? My friend went to school with me.

I still don't know much about the restaurant the O-Man refers to altho' the name is familiar. From steakhouse to fried chicken, right? Kinda funny Smart of you, to be working at restaurants with such good food and getting freebie meals!

And, azmemories: those pics are quite impressive - reminds me of my days in New England in the 90's when my kids would be thrilled when we'd listen to the radio to see if they called a snow day!

Old 03-05-2016, 11:57 AM

68 posts, read 217,746 times
Default Panda Steak House and Sambo's

AZmemories and musicfreeq: Yes, probably Sambo's at the Drachman-Oracle curve. But for some reason my memory is trying to tell me it was the Oracle to Miracle Mile curve, but looking at google maps to refresh my memory only confuses me more!

Back to Speedway and Stone: now I'm thinking it was another brand of coffee shop (in those days that meant an eatery, not a Starbucks) on the NE corner of the intersection. And Speedway wasn't a divided road west of Stone. Sure wish I could remember what diner it was.

azmemories: yes, the Panda Steak House was on the west side of 1st Ave right around Alturas or Jacinto. Looked at Google Maps hoping to see something familiar, but after 40 years (I'm talking about when I was 15 in 1966!) not much is left that rings a bell.

But my oldest sister did live in that Alturas/Tyndall/Copper/Euclid squiggly streets neighborhood on the east side of 1st Ave so I know I'm not way off on where the Panda was.

musicfreeq: it was a fluke that I started working in restaurants, but yes it sure did help me out to have a stable source of food during high school and college!

Old 03-05-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman100 View Post
I think I'm talking to myself but re Mother Higgins, she died during the 50's so she never saw the stellar generation of the 60's...lol.
Yes, I'm afraid she wasn't there to personally welcome me when I paid a visit to get "sentenced" by a counselor to some community service! Had to help the janitor and groundsman after school for an hour every day for a month or so. Oh, and poor Mom had to pay my fine...

Old 03-05-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
azmemories: I did not go back deep in this thread to recollect what was said about the skinny blond guy but I think that he happened after my time as well.
Hah - that you refer to the O-Man as a pioneer hippie - I like that phrase and can think of several people that the description fits And I agree, it suits him, right O-Man?!

musicfreeq: I'm not sure I was visibly a "pioneer" hippie, as I didn't sport a ponytail until after 1969 HS graduation, but I was certainly one at heart a little earlier, what with Viet Nam protests and psychoactive substances and all. (OMG, how did I graduate in the top 10 in my class when I had no sense and would come to HS occasionally on acid?)

If the long hair defines the hippie, here's what happened. I worked at Lucky Wishbone and the owner was a crew-cut pretty establishment guy. There was another kid who had worked there before me who joined the Marines and went to Viet Nam. The boss was really proud and talked about him a lot.

In the meantime, I, the Viet Nam protesting, pot smoking derelict, had started growing my hair out. Boss was not amused, but I was one of his best employees. Just then, the Marine came home and went back to work at the Wishbone. His tour as a grunt Marine in Nam had turned him from golden boy to war protester and he started growing his hair, too. Boss was still not amused, but was conflicted! He couldn't get down on the Marine, so he let us both grow out our hair but we had to wear hairnets, per city code.

The Marine and I became great friends; later we each managed a Lucky Wishbone location, me on Campbell and he on Oracle. My tenure ended after a couple years when I moved to Minnesota, but he was there for years.

Last edited by OceanaMan; 03-05-2016 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: quote correction

Old 03-05-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
azmemories:

....I am quite sure it was Sambo's at the Drachman/Oracle junction - I can vaguely recall the sign of the little Aladdin-like little guy with his tiger side-kick. I loved that old story - so politically incorrect, but so engaging with the tigers running themselves into a pile of butter then made into pancakes - we have a tiny little hard-cover book of the original story that is too cute for words and probably easily over 50 yrs old. My kids loved the story as much as we did as kids.
musicfreeq: Interesting that your kids loved the Sambo book (as did I), which I think was actually called Little Black Sambo, who was not African, but was from South India. And the story was written in the late 1800's. In our day the stereotyping of the story was offensive (whether we knew it or not) but half a century later I wonder if maybe we've come a long-enough way to turn the whole controversy upside down. The story could have any race kid as the central character (as long as he lives in an area with tigers!), and if political correctness said it can't be a black-skinned kid, I'd be uncomfortable that we're saying only certain races can be in certain stories!

Last edited by OceanaMan; 03-05-2016 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: quote correction

Old 03-11-2016, 08:23 AM

O'Man: I think we ALL loved that book and it never occurred to us for one moment that there was anything racist about the book. After googling, I found a website detailing info about the author who wrote the book for her children from whom she was separated from a good time during their youth: they were residing in India at the time, where she had met her husband but the author herself had grown up in Scotland, where there was a community of blacks. When questioned about the book's character & setting, her rep explained that although it is known that tigers inhabit India not Africa, that the character in the book is total imaginary and the book was written for her kids. But it was an important book in libraries at the time for it's lesson (those tigers were really greedy while Sambo was patient and persistent.)

Sadly, a friend took it to get published and was convinced to sell the rights to the book for next to nothing and original copies of the book are worth thousands today. I must locate our copy, which was my husband's as a child and he was born in the early 50's. Now it's got me curious. My family's copy was in our Book of Knowledge (remember those? sold by door-to-door salesmen!) - the Read Aloud series, but my husband's is this tiny little thing about 4 X 6 inches.

Now we must research the origin of the Sambo's restaurant - Hah!

Old 04-15-2016, 04:42 PM

Wow, more than a month since anyone's posted - I really know how to kill a thread! LOL.

Hey, does anyone remember another dimestore, named Sprouse Reitz? We've talked about McClelland's (in the Amphi shopping center) and Kresge's (in Campbell Plaza) but this other one just occurred to me, and I don't think we've talked about this one. I want to say that it was in the Flowing Wells center - maybe where the Mead's (Rexall??) drugstore was? We're talking 60's here - unsure how much longer they lasted. I think Kresge's was part of the K-Mart chain.

I'm not sure it was part of a chain like the others. But I seem to recall it was a similar kind of store to the others. Anyone remember it?

I loved dimestores as a kid and remember having such great times shopping in them - there was a little bit of everything in most, and it's where most of my allowance got spent every week!

Old 04-16-2016, 09:28 AM

24,323 posts, read 13,179,071 times
Quote:
Wow, more than a month since anyone's posted - I really know how to kill a thread! LOL.

Hey, does anyone remember another dimestore, named Sprouse Reitz? We've talked about McClelland's (in the Amphi shopping center) and Kresge's (in Campbell Plaza) but this other one just occurred to me, and I don't think we've talked about this one. I want to say that it was in the Flowing Wells center - maybe where the Mead's (Rexall??) drugstore was? We're talking 60's here - unsure how much longer they lasted. I think Kresge's was part of the K-Mart chain.

I'm not sure it was part of a chain like the others. But I seem to recall it was a similar kind of store to the others. Anyone remember it?

I loved dimestores as a kid and remember having such great times shopping in them - there was a little bit of everything in most, and it's where most of my allowance got spent every week!

There was a Sprouse Reitz in Pinetop-Lakeside in the early 70s, and I remember one in Bisbee when I lived in Tucson in the 90s (the storefront was there but it was long abandoned). At one time there was one at Oracle and Rudasill but the whole chain folded in the 1980s. TG&Y was another, they had them where I grew up in the Phoenix area, but when I got to Tucson in the mid-80s they were done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson