Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 11:58 AM

68 posts, read 216,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
Wow, more than a month since anyone's posted - I really know how to kill a thread! LOL.

Hey, does anyone remember another dimestore, named Sprouse Reitz? We've talked about McClelland's (in the Amphi shopping center) and Kresge's (in Campbell Plaza) but this other one just occurred to me, and I don't think we've talked about this one. I want to say that it was in the Flowing Wells center - maybe where the Mead's (Rexall??) drugstore was? We're talking 60's here - unsure how much longer they lasted. I think Kresge's was part of the K-Mart chain.

I'm not sure it was part of a chain like the others. But I seem to recall it was a similar kind of store to the others. Anyone remember it?

I loved dimestores as a kid and remember having such great times shopping in them - there was a little bit of everything in most, and it's where most of my allowance got spent every week!
Sprouse Reitz doesn't ring a bell, but I'm with you on loving the dime stores of the day. I loved the lunch counters in those old stores. Don't remember whether it was McLelland's or Kresge, but one of them sold banana splits for 39 cents, and there were a bunch of balloons overhead and you got to pop one after buying a split, and inside the balloon was the price of your next one--sometimes free.

I'm pretty sure KMart didn't exist in those days. Kresge's was the business. Later, when dime stores started to fall by the wayside, Kresge took off in another direction and named itself KMart.

One thing I do remember about McClelland's: we used to go to the pharmacy and buy tubes of cinnamon oil and soak toothpicks in it. Made a tasty-cool looking toothpick to hang outta your mouth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 04:29 PM

137 posts, read 415,787 times
O'Man: OMG, I remember the cinnamon toothpicks - how cool were they! And how silly they seem now, but hey, it's all relative, huh? They were "neat" in the early to mid 60's. Made my mom crazy to see us with those hanging from our mouths ... my cousin and I loved those things! I remember the cinnamon oil came in a tiny bottle though - not a tube - maybe?!

Are you saying that McClelland's had a pharmacy? I think we already decided (in this thread much earlier) Jerrold's (sp??) was the drugstore there in that center, and I don't recall the dime stores actually having pharmacy counters in them - I could be wrong.

I didn't mean to say that Kresge's was part of K-Mart back then, but I think there was a take-over or merger of some sort after my time (youth!) - like in the 70's, maybe?

I remember Kresge's having great subs - first I ever had - maybe they weren't that great, but I have fond memories of them being really good! I LOVED their lunch counter (especially spinning on the barstools!) and their (small) cups of coffee cost 5 cents - my mom and aunt both worked there and loved that coffee. I think they also had banana splits (rarely had dessert there - it was a treat to get the sub and a Coke!) and I do seem to recall a prize and maybe it was for them. Wish my cousin was still around - this is the kind of stuff he would have committed to memory

And maybe someone else will remember Sprouse Reitz I think there was more than one in town also.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:05 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,590 times
Just F.Y.I., SS Kresge's changed their name to KMART Corporation in 1977. Kresge opened his first KMART store in 1962.Around this time they converted some poorly performing stores to Jupiter Discount Stores. By 1987 they sold off the remaining SS Kresge's and Jupiter stores to McCory Stores.

So SS Kresge's WAS part of KMART.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:40 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times
Quote:
And maybe someone else will remember Sprouse Reitz I think there was more than one in town also.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprouse-Reitz

Old 04-30-2016, 08:49 AM

137 posts, read 415,787 times
sickofIL: Thanks for that tidbit about the Kresge's/KMart connection - pretty much as I recall

I remember McCrory's too - I think maybe they came along and took over the McLellan stores as well. Jupiter is not ringing any bells, but I no longer lived in AZ in the 80's and they maybe were not in SoCal.

Colt Cassidy: You didn't say if you recall the Sprouse-Reitz there in Tucson nor does the wiki mention locations. But at least I know I didn't imagine their existence ... we're talking memories from 50 years ago ...

And do either of you remember whether these "dime stores" had pharmacies? I'm racking my brain and don't remember that, and it's got me curious. Especially when each of those shopping centers we've been discussing - Amphi, Campbell Plaza and Flowing Wells - all had a drug store in them

Old 05-01-2016, 11:54 AM

68 posts, read 216,979 times
Quote:
O'Man: OMG, I remember the cinnamon toothpicks - how cool were they! And how silly they seem now, but hey, it's all relative, huh? They were "neat" in the early to mid 60's. Made my mom crazy to see us with those hanging from our mouths ... my cousin and I loved those things! I remember the cinnamon oil came in a tiny bottle though - not a tube - maybe?!

Are you saying that McClelland's had a pharmacy? I think we already decided (in this thread much earlier) Jerrold's (sp??) was the drugstore there in that center, and I don't recall the dime stores actually having pharmacy counters in them - I could be wrong.

I didn't mean to say that Kresge's was part of K-Mart back then, but I think there was a take-over or merger of some sort after my time (youth!) - like in the 70's, maybe?

I remember Kresge's having great subs - first I ever had - maybe they weren't that great, but I have fond memories of them being really good! I LOVED their lunch counter (especially spinning on the barstools!) and their (small) cups of coffee cost 5 cents - my mom and aunt both worked there and loved that coffee. I think they also had banana splits (rarely had dessert there - it was a treat to get the sub and a Coke!) and I do seem to recall a prize and maybe it was for them. Wish my cousin was still around - this is the kind of stuff he would have committed to memory

musicfreeq: Wow, another cinnamon toothpick fan! I think it must have been a fad for a few years. No idea why! I get Jerrold's and McLellans mixed up. Cinnamon oil was from Jerrold's. My recollection is just sticking toothpicks into the vial we bought, but could be we had to transfer it to something longer to fit in the picks.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 31,099 times
Smile Lil Abners

It was still there when I left Tucson in 2013. The city of marana has grown up so much that you can go to Ina and go west to silverbell and turn right. It's still out there.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:45 PM

were you around Tucson later when the other plane crashed near the u of a and just missed the middle school??

Old 07-13-2016, 04:54 PM

Don't know the DJ but was after the goldrush on Grant and Miracle Mile?

Old 07-13-2016, 11:24 PM

406 posts, read 623,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer64 View Post
It was still there when I left Tucson in 2013. The city of marana has grown up so much that you can go to Ina and go west to silverbell and turn right. It's still out there.
It is nice to see someone posting in this forum after such a long drought. We discussed Lil' Abner's in this thread and I remember looking it up on Google Street View and being surprised at how built up it was around the famous steakhouse. I guess it should come as no surprise being that the sprawl was inevitable.

I saw your other thread speaking about the bars in Tucson and do remember Cactus Moon being there as late as the early 90s at least. It also brings up the subject of another watering hole I have spoken about, The Boondocks on First Avenue between Prince and Ft Lowell relocated from not too far away sometime in the 60s or 70s I believe. If you look back in thread, there was a poster who had the information on Boondocks (possibly renamed at some point). That person also talked about bars, you should look back in the thread to find it, there may another place mentioned that you forgot about.

If you want to do a filter of user names, I BELIEVE the poster went by the handle of HappyJack70, not 100% on that though.

I left Tucson 20+ years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson