Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 6,088 times

Advertisements

I lived in Tucson in the 60's to early 70's and went to a roller rink that had a large rink for the older kids and adults and a smaller rink for the smaller kids. I used to stand at the entrance to the larger rink, just waiting to be old enough to go in!! Does anyone remember the name of this rink? BTW, I lived on a brand new street in a brand new house on South Staunton Drive, right on the corner. Gale Elementary School was right across the way. I looked at Google Earth at the house and looks in such bad repair!! So sad. This was right on the edge of town back then with lots of untouched desert right behind us. We used to build go-carts and make trails in the desert to ride around on. Lots of jumping cactus injuries!! Used to catch gila monsters, too.

Last edited by olddazeblues; 01-12-2017 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 12:33 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddazeblues View Post
I lived in Tucson in the 60's to early 70's and went to a roller rink that had a large rink for the older kids and adults and a smaller rink for the smaller kids. I used to stand at the entrance to the larger rink, just waiting to be old enough to go in!! Does anyone remember the name of this rink? BTW, I lived on a brand new street in a brand new house on South Staunton Drive, right on the corner. Gale Elementary School was right across the way. I looked at Google Earth at the house and looks in such bad repair!! So sad. This was right on the edge of town back then with lots of untouched desert right behind us. We used to build go-carts and make trails in the desert to ride around on. Lots of jumping cactus injuries!! Used to catch gila monsters, too.
Certainly hope you guys have most of your fingers & toes left!

Old 01-13-2017, 01:05 PM

406 posts, read 623,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddazeblues View Post
If Musicfreeq is reading this, she along with at least a couple of others, will almost certainly know the name of the rink. If you have the time and patience, you could probably go back and read some old posts to find out the name.

I looked up South Staunton Drive and see it is near Camino Seco. I was surprised that anything at all was there in the early 70s.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 PM

137 posts, read 415,787 times
azmemories: you give me WAY too much credit! Remember that I lived further north, out Oracle, toward the foothills, and that I left the area around 1969.

Anyway, I'll give it a shot and guess maybe the Sunset Rollerama? I think it was out east, I want to say near Swan and 22nd - WAY outta my 'hood, but altho' I don't recall skating there, but I know I attended concerts there

There was another rink , I think on Speedway, the Monterey, but as I recall, that was strictly an ice rink, that doubled as a concert venue as well - the reason I would even know it!

The roller rink near me was the Pastime Rink, I think near or on Pastime and Oracle, which I think also doubled as Teen Town - the club my friends and I hung at the most, since it was close to home (and to Amphi HS.)

Hope this helps - maybe somebody else will jump in here and have the scoop??

And olddazeblues: welcome to this thread and to the injured-by-the-jumping-cactus-club ... you'll find several members of that elite unit here ... Ouch! I hurt just thinking about it ...

Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
azmemories: you give me WAY too much credit! Remember that I lived further north, out Oracle, toward the foothills, and that I left the area around 1969.

Anyway, I'll give it a shot and guess maybe the Sunset Rollerama? I think it was out east, I want to say near Swan and 22nd - WAY outta my 'hood, but altho' I don't recall skating there, but I know I attended concerts there

There was another rink , I think on Speedway, the Monterey, but as I recall, that was strictly an ice rink, that doubled as a concert venue as well - the reason I would even know it!

The roller rink near me was the Pastime Rink, I think near or on Pastime and Oracle, which I think also doubled as Teen Town - the club my friends and I hung at the most, since it was close to home (and to Amphi HS.)

Hope this helps - maybe somebody else will jump in here and have the scoop??

And olddazeblues: welcome to this thread and to the injured-by-the-jumping-cactus-club ... you'll find several members of that elite unit here ... Ouch! I hurt just thinking about it ...
I think your credit was well deserved, you were able to come up with a few names.

I do remember the section of town you lived in because we determined that our residences were very close together at one point, albeit in different decades. You also have many fond memories of Amphi!

Old 03-19-2017, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,514 times
Default More closed places in Tucson

I thought I would add my 2 cents worth...

Bobby McGee's on Wilmot closed in 1995

Sundance Saloon on 22nd street near Swan

Cowboy's at Broadway/Wilmot

Jack's Barbecue on 22nd, It became "Dickey's barbecue" and now is "Jackson's Barbecue"

Pizza Pub on Craycroft owned by a guy named Tommy later it was a "More than Pizza" then "Ribs Etc."

De Anza Drive-in, Closed in 2009

Old 03-23-2017, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 20,173 times
I've lived in Tucson since 1972, when I was 2 years old. I remember the plane crash at Mansfeld Jr High as my older brother was in school there that day. I was at recess at my elementary school a mile away and remember looking up to see the airplane falling through the sky and then we heard the crash and they hustled us all inside really quickly.

I grew up in midtown, walking distance to Hi Corbett field where we went to many Tucson Toros games and I became a lifelong baseball fan. Every morning, I woke up to the sounds of lions and elephants roaring from the Reid Park Zoo. I practically lived in the public pool at that park in the summer.

As teens, before we were old enough to drive, we spent a lot of time "hanging out" at El-Con Mall which was also walking distance from my house. We'd walk around, look at groups of boys, my friends would smoke cigarettes while sitting in the Orange Julius and shoplift nail polish from Woolworth's. If the security guards caught them, they'd just scowl at them and kick them out. I was always too scared. Tucson felt like a small town, I just knew it would get back to my mom somehow.

Does anyone remember the Primetime Rapist? Must have been in the mid 1980s, I remember he was still on the loose when I was first driving, which would have been 1986. He was a serial rapist who got his name because he would hit homes during Primetime television time. There was also a little girl named Vicki Lynn Hoskinson who was abducted while riding her bike somewhere and murdered. Around the same time, 1984 or so. It was a big story. Before those two things happened, kids would ride their bikes by themselves, anywhere, all of the time. Things changed after those events. People didn't feel as safe.

I still live in midtown, near (but thankfully not IN) the Winterhaven neighborhood mentioned in this thread. I think things that always surprise newcomers to Tucson is how VIOLENT the monsoons can be and yet they don't scare the locals at all, and how common it is for the mountains to be on fire and again, the locals think it's kind of cool looking but aren't generally too concerned. It was really sad when the fire on Mt Lemmon destroyed Summerhaven about ten years ago, though, but it looks good up there these days.

There's a lot of things I love about Tucson but I'm starting to look into moving elsewhere. The job market here is just dismal, and a lot of the cool old things have been replaced with ratty strip malls. The monsoons, which used to be practically every afternoon when I was growing up, aren't as regular now and the summers are just too long and hot for me any more. But the COL is still low, and there's not one part of this city I would be afraid to drive through at night, which I can't say for a lot of other cities.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:05 PM

I will first say that it is nice to see activity again in this thread. I remember the Primetime Rapist a/k/a "potbellied rapist" and the sad story of Vicki Lynn Hoskinson. I mentioned it to my Mom and she recalls the comment of Judge Meacham at the rapist's sentencing: "You won't see the light of day again until you are in a pine box".

Vicki Lynn was a HUGE story and the sight of the kidnapping, near Walter Davis Elementary on Romero Road, was very close to a good friend of mine. I would visit often and still remember the increase in helicopters going overhead after the incident. Her convicted killer, Frank Atwood, sat on death row for a very long time until his death sentence was commuted to life in 2015. He sat on death row for so long due to mental health issues that were not presented during trial and it appears there was a federal investigation into the matter.

Do you also remember the ongoing rock bombing mystery SpinachandChickpeas? It happened in 1983 and I found out as a result of this thread that the saga now ranks high on paranormal websites as among the most unexplained incidents. I actually just threw it out there one day to see if anyone else had remembered.

Growing up where you did must have been fantastic with Hi Corbett Field, El Con Mall, and Ried Park Zoo all close by. There were probably a couple of drive-in theatres near you as well. As you got a little older, I am sure that you and your friends explored the night life on 4th Avenue. Do you remember when the UofA football team beat number 1 Washington in 1992 or 93? The basketball team's appearance in their first Final Four was another major story (1988).

There are other incidents and landmarks I would like to discuss. You have already hit on a couple of things I remember very vividly about the Old Pueblo. I know what you mean about the summers, some get acclimated and others, like myself, their patience wears very thin with the consecutive months of unrelenting heat. Hopefully you won't be a "one hit wonder" lol such as others who contributed a lot of great stuff, but didn't participate much after that.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
I will first say that it is nice to see activity again in this thread. I remember the Primetime Rapist a/k/a "potbellied rapist" and the sad story of Vicki Lynn Hoskinson. I mentioned it to my Mom and she recalls the comment of Judge Meacham at the rapist's sentencing: "You won't see the light of day again until you are in a pine box".

Vicki Lynn was a HUGE story and the sight of the kidnapping, near Walter Davis Elementary on Romero Road, was very close to a good friend of mine. I would visit often and still remember the increase in helicopters going overhead after the incident. Her convicted killer, Frank Atwood, sat on death row for a very long time until his death sentence was commuted to life in 2015. He sat on death row for so long due to mental health issues that were not presented during trial and it appears there was a federal investigation into the matter.

Do you also remember the ongoing rock bombing mystery SpinachandChickpeas? It happened in 1983 and I found out as a result of this thread that the saga now ranks high on paranormal websites as among the most unexplained incidents. I actually just threw it out there one day to see if anyone else had remembered.

Growing up where you did must have been fantastic with Hi Corbett Field, El Con Mall, and Ried Park Zoo all close by. There were probably a couple of drive-in theatres near you as well. As you got a little older, I am sure that you and your friends explored the night life on 4th Avenue. Do you remember when the UofA football team beat number 1 Washington in 1992 or 93? The basketball team's appearance in their first Final Four was another major story (1988).

There are other incidents and landmarks I would like to discuss. You have already hit on a couple of things I remember very vividly about the Old Pueblo. I know what you mean about the summers, some get acclimated and others, like myself, their patience wears very thin with the consecutive months of unrelenting heat. Hopefully you won't be a "one hit wonder" lol such as others who contributed a lot of great stuff, but didn't participate much after that.
Whoops!! I made a mistake! It appears the Primetime Rapist committed suicide as officers moved in to arrest him. The quote of the judge must have been at another rapist's sentencing.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 PM

4 posts, read 20,173 times
Hi azmemories! Glad you enjoyed my nostalgic musings. I'm generally someone who will check in from time to time on forums where I've posted so I probably won't disappear.

I don't remember anything at all about the rock throwing! I'll have to ask my parents if they do. I also don't remember the UA football win but I never really followed UA football much and in the early 1990s was working about 80-90 hours a week. My husband's work is related to sports, I'll ask him if he remembers that game.

I did follow UA basketball, though, and I definitely remember the 1988 Final Four! That was such a great group of guys. It's so nice how well they've all turned out. Do you remember the game against ASU (I think a few years earlier) after Steve Kerr's dad had been assassinated in Beirut, and the ASU kids were chanting at him "WHERE'S YOUR DAD! WHERE'S YOUR DAD!" That was vicious.

We did occasionally go to the drive-in theater on 22nd and...Alvernon? It might have been the DeAnza. I remember watching a Disney movie there called The Cat From Outer Space lol. I also remember going to a roller skating rink that someone mentioned in this thread somewhere around Swan and 22nd.

I definitely hit up the night life on 4th Ave. I always loved to dance and had a lot of older friends so I got myself a great fake ID when I was 16. I was very involved in the Tucson AIDS Project from the time I was 15, volunteering to go sit with and make meals for all of the young men dying of AIDS. It was heartbreaking. But I made a lot of friends there, so the first bar I ever went to was IBT's with my fresh fake ID. I remember my 21st birthday at Club Congress, the bartenders were kind of laughing saying, "Why is this such a BIG birthday for you? I mean, you've been coming here for five years and your ID says you're 27!" Wink wink.

When I was in middle school (Mansfeld, where the plane had crashed a few years earlier, and right across from UA), we'd wander around UA campus after school. Play pool at Louie's Lower Level, which was a dump. Go down to 4th Avenue to window shop and get Dairy Queen. There was a great record store called Roads To Moscow where you could buy bootleg recordings of things like The Dead Kennedys live in Berlin.

Anyone remember a bar called The Stray Cat that was in an old church? It was at Euclid and University Blvd. Probably around 1982 or so it caught fire one night and was gutted. They tore it down and now there's a UA Visitor's Center there. We park there when we go to the 4th Avenue Street Fair...which is this weekend!

4th Avenue, Downtown, and the UA campus are all so much nicer now than they were then. So much more sophisticated. It's really nice, but I get nostalgic for the lack of sophistication sometimes. Last summer I was driving on Prince Rd near Tucson Blvd one Sunday morning and came across a cowboy riding his horse down Prince Rd. It was such a throwback, I snapped a photo and put it on facebook and all of my longtime Tucson friends were like "OMG, remember when you used to see this all of the time?" Sure do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson