Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 05:38 AM

406 posts, read 623,728 times

Advertisements

You gave me so many more things to talk about, I am not sure where to begin. I will start with Steve Kerr and the UA basketball team with Lute Olson. I do remember reading about the ASU fans taunting Kerr not long after it happened. Just recently, I came across a book entitled 100 THINGS ARIZONA FANS SHOULD KNOW AND DO BEFORE THEY DIE in my small east coast library! I was shocked so I checked it out and they do mention the ASU incident.

I actually got the chance to meet Steve Kerr while he was a superstar in Tucson. He was gentlemanly and humble and I am glad to see him become a national figure as part of the Chicago Bulls' championship teams and now a top coach in the NBA. Do you remember the radio station KRQ making a song about that team? I was not in Tucson when they won the national championship in 1997 so I will ask you if the frenzy about that team was the same as in 1988? I heard secondhand that there was a raucous on 4th Avenue following the win.

It is too bad that I am not in touch with a friend who really enjoyed the music of The Dead Kennedys and similar because I'll bet he would have recalled the store Roads to Moscow. The name brings the music of The Dead Milkmen back to mind lol.

The rock throwing began before the flood in 1983, garnered more attention as it persisted, then took a backseat to the coverage of the actual flood. Finally, the local news opened their coverage of the search party looking for the culprit, but to no avail. As I said, it remains a huge mystery because police and volunteers had the area so well covered it would have been almost impossible for the guilty person to escape their grasp, hence the belief it was not a real "person". Speaking of the flood, was your area affected by the torrential rains and overflowing washes? I don't think it would have, or maybe just minimally.

Your story of the cowboy on horseback reminds me of the time I saw a stray horse at around Limberlost and 1st Avenue. I was sitting at a red light with other motorists and I think we were all so surprised as we watched it prance onto 1st and then sprint north in our rearview mirrors (we were heading south) that we missed the light when it was green, lol.

That was a funny story about the Club Congress bartenders having a sense of humor about your real 21st birthday!

In the football game against Washington, the Wildcats just pounded and pounded the defensive line of the Huskies with one rushing play after another until they made progress and broke through in the 4th quarter. I don't think the AZ quarterback threw one pass. That may help your husband recall the game.

There are two establishments I remember from 4th Avenue, Cafe Sweetwater and The Shanty, the latter I believe is still there on the south end of 4th Avenue very close to the underpass. I also remember going into The Shelter on Grant Road near Alvernon maybe?

I do remember watching the movie The Cat From Outer Space on cable! I have read various things about the revitalization of downtown, speaking of which comes to mind another bar that I have mentioned in this thread before. Do you remember the Plaza Pub on Congress Street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 09:49 AM

137 posts, read 415,957 times
Oh, my, my heart skipped a beat when I saw there was some new posts here! Warms my heart so to see others with fond memories as so many of us do, of our old stompin' grounds!

I recall hearing the stories of the PrimeTime guy and poor little Vicki but because I had moved from Tucson around your birth, S&CP (love that handle and those foods as well - hah!) I don't recall many details. My parents and sibs were still in Tucson and until both parents and one brother passed, I would visit often.

And S&CP, I have to say we thought Louie's was a VERY cool place in the late 60's - anytime we HS kids could hang out with the older or U of A kids, we thought we were so cool! That was extremely kind of you to get involved with the AIDS patients and makes me remember the early 2000's when my favorite cousin had contracted it. We had been besties growing up and it broke my heart to know how much those people suffered and how little they could do for them back then. He's been gone around 10 years and I still think of him

Hi, azmemories, where do you think all our old posting-buds have flown to, like the O'Man, who was fairly regular? Life must be getting in the way, it has a tendency to keep marching on and occas dragging some of us down - more so these days. My Amphi 50th class reunion is coming up soon - in May - and I'm thinking about the good ol' days alot. Sigh ...

Old 03-25-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
Oh, my, my heart skipped a beat when I saw there was some new posts here! Warms my heart so to see others with fond memories as so many of us do, of our old stompin' grounds!

I recall hearing the stories of the PrimeTime guy and poor little Vicki but because I had moved from Tucson around your birth, S&CP (love that handle and those foods as well - hah!) I don't recall many details. My parents and sibs were still in Tucson and until both parents and one brother passed, I would visit often.

And S&CP, I have to say we thought Louie's was a VERY cool place in the late 60's - anytime we HS kids could hang out with the older or U of A kids, we thought we were so cool! That was extremely kind of you to get involved with the AIDS patients and makes me remember the early 2000's when my favorite cousin had contracted it. We had been besties growing up and it broke my heart to know how much those people suffered and how little they could do for them back then. He's been gone around 10 years and I still think of him

Hi, azmemories, where do you think all our old posting-buds have flown to, like the O'Man, who was fairly regular? Life must be getting in the way, it has a tendency to keep marching on and occas dragging some of us down - more so these days. My Amphi 50th class reunion is coming up soon - in May - and I'm thinking about the good ol' days alot. Sigh ...

Good to see you back Musicfreeq. OceanaMan and AZPostmaster were frequent posters who had a lot of good input. The one hit wonders I referred to (no pun intended with respect to your handle) were those that contributed after evidently seeing some confusion on our part to clarify facts. They were knowledgable and then added some other great stuff about old landmarks and personal experiences. I am pretty sure we had follow-up questions, but they must have had other obligations.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:46 PM

4 posts, read 20,179 times
Hi Musicfreeq!

We definitely thought we were cool, too, as middle schoolers playing pool at Louie's with the college students. I had actually grown up with a pool table at home so from time to time I would totally pull a pool shark on some of the college guys there. I'd act all wide-eyed "Ooh, could you show me how to play pool?" and then after deliberately losing a few games, I'd play like I really could and destroy them. It was fun, all their friends would die laughing when they realized they'd been scammed by a 13 year old girl.

azmemories, I've also met Steve Kerr a few times and he's a class act. All those guys were/are great, between my husband and I we know a few of them. A friend is making a documentary about that team that I hope can get some distribution once it's done. I don't remember the KRQ song which is odd, I listened to KRQ a lot around that time. I wasn't following basketball closely in 1997, I was still working a million hours at that time and didn't have a TV. I do vaguely remember that the kids went nuts down on 4th, though, I think there was a car/cars overturned or on fire or something.

It may have been stated earlier in this thread but what part of town was the rock throwing? I was such a midtown kid, I don't think I knew what was happening anywhere else. I grew up near Country Club and Broadway and I remember I had a friend who lived up at River and Craycroft, and my mom thought that was SUCH a long drive that she would only take me to play at that friend's house if it was a sleepover, because she wasn't making THAT drive twice in one day!

I do remember the flood in 1983 because they sent us home from school so the foothills kids could get home before the bridges had to be possibly closed. My dad's office was at River and Campbell and I remember him being a bit concerned. It was fine, but I remember one of his friends lost an office or home (can't remember) that fell into the river as the banks eroded. Down where I lived, a small wash in the neighborhood overflowed but I don't think it caused any damage.

I remember Cafe Sweetwater. Have no idea when it closed. The Shanty is still there, yep. The Shelter is great, it's one of my neighborhood haunts. I don't remember when - sometime in the 1990s? - they did a major renovation and it became cool again. It's decorated with super retro gold booths, lava lamps, commemorative JFK election stuff, and looks probably much like it did in the 1960s. I don't know the Plaza Pub at all. Downtown has changed pretty drastically over the years. Right now it's doing quite well.

Oh, and in response to someone who posted waaaayyyy early in this thread, the Mexican restaurant on Grant with the huge candle was called Pancho's (I think they knew that) and is now called Las Margaritas and no longer has the candle. We eat there fairly regularly and they have a painting of the foyer with the big candle, but I don't know what happened to the candle. I should ask next time we're there. It's been called Las Margaritas for at least 25 years, maybe longer.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinachandChickpeas View Post
Hi Musicfreeq!

We definitely thought we were cool, too, as middle schoolers playing pool at Louie's with the college students. I had actually grown up with a pool table at home so from time to time I would totally pull a pool shark on some of the college guys there. I'd act all wide-eyed "Ooh, could you show me how to play pool?" and then after deliberately losing a few games, I'd play like I really could and destroy them. It was fun, all their friends would die laughing when they realized they'd been scammed by a 13 year old girl.

azmemories, I've also met Steve Kerr a few times and he's a class act. All those guys were/are great, between my husband and I we know a few of them. A friend is making a documentary about that team that I hope can get some distribution once it's done. I don't remember the KRQ song which is odd, I listened to KRQ a lot around that time. I wasn't following basketball closely in 1997, I was still working a million hours at that time and didn't have a TV. I do vaguely remember that the kids went nuts down on 4th, though, I think there was a car/cars overturned or on fire or something.

It may have been stated earlier in this thread but what part of town was the rock throwing? I was such a midtown kid, I don't think I knew what was happening anywhere else. I grew up near Country Club and Broadway and I remember I had a friend who lived up at River and Craycroft, and my mom thought that was SUCH a long drive that she would only take me to play at that friend's house if it was a sleepover, because she wasn't making THAT drive twice in one day!

I do remember the flood in 1983 because they sent us home from school so the foothills kids could get home before the bridges had to be possibly closed. My dad's office was at River and Campbell and I remember him being a bit concerned. It was fine, but I remember one of his friends lost an office or home (can't remember) that fell into the river as the banks eroded. Down where I lived, a small wash in the neighborhood overflowed but I don't think it caused any damage.

I remember Cafe Sweetwater. Have no idea when it closed. The Shanty is still there, yep. The Shelter is great, it's one of my neighborhood haunts. I don't remember when - sometime in the 1990s? - they did a major renovation and it became cool again. It's decorated with super retro gold booths, lava lamps, commemorative JFK election stuff, and looks probably much like it did in the 1960s. I don't know the Plaza Pub at all. Downtown has changed pretty drastically over the years. Right now it's doing quite well.

Oh, and in response to someone who posted waaaayyyy early in this thread, the Mexican restaurant on Grant with the huge candle was called Pancho's (I think they knew that) and is now called Las Margaritas and no longer has the candle. We eat there fairly regularly and they have a painting of the foyer with the big candle, but I don't know what happened to the candle. I should ask next time we're there. It's been called Las Margaritas for at least 25 years, maybe longer.
The best I could find about the actual location of the rock bombing is "northern outskirts of Tucson". After reading the story again, I realized just how strange of a case that was. There are probably more things to consider beyond the reading I did, but after one reads the article it leads the reader to believe a poltergeist was at work or 40 people, including law enforcement, are in on the hoax. Only one house was the target and the stones hurled weighed as much as several pounds. In at least one incident, rocks were thrown just a few feet from searchers, but they still could not locate a suspect.

The Shelter is still going strong apparently. When I went, the main area was seats surrounding the bar and off to the side there were tables and chairs. My memory is fuzzy on this, but I also think patrons had to go up a couple of stairs to a raised area where the pool table was. It seems they now have included retro styled video games (yes I checked).

Did your father's friend have an office in the building that received repeated footage of it falling into the river? That structure was near the bank of the Rillito River east of 1st Avenue and maybe closer to Campbell.

Your family were midtowners! My estimate between your section of town and your friends is a mere 6.5 miles, a short drive for most people and especially in a city as spread out as Tucson. I am assuming most sleepovers began on either Friday or Saturday. Part of your mom's reasoning may have been not wanting to drive amongst the drinkers and bar hoppers.

Another fond memory of Tucson I have is Golf N Stuff on Tanque Verde. We had many good times there!

Please update us when the documentary of the UA basketball team is complete. The KRQ song about the 88 team was designed to be catchy and I think it was performed by the DJ's on staff at the time.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 AM

azmemories, I know little of what you speak since I was already gone - only what I have read on here, but I certainly wish I knew more about the rock-throwing incidents because I find it quite intriguing. It seems like my family told me of it but I recall no details other than them thinking it was really weird, but who wouldn't?! My family home was off Oracle and Roger Rds., so we went north often, into the foothill area for some shopping, appts., etc. Several of my Amphi friends lived in "the foothills." And I went to school for my freshman and sophomore years to IHHS on/near Ina Rd. - remember I checked this on the old map I got on eBay some months ago. We weren't terribly far away, I don't think?

And back to the cool ever-dripping candle at Pancho's that my mom was so enchanted with that she started her own - and kept it going for years! My oldest daughter "inherited" it. Didn't we also talk about the yummy cheese crisps (open face quesadillla) that came from there? I found a recipe online last year or whenever we were discussing this and had to make one right away - for old times' sake!

S&CP, I know exactly what you mean when you talk about your mom thinking a few miles being such a distance: my mom was the same way! Talking about something/someone out near 22nd or Craycroft was "the other side of town" and you might think it was in another universe to go there! Hah! I don't think they were so nervous about bars or anything as much as it just being all relative ... most everything they needed was withing 3 miles from home; nothing was super convenient then as it is now ... very few places to go to eat, much more time spent making meals, cleaning house, laundry (ironing! I got really good at that since my dad's post office uniform shirts needed ironing!)

Anyway, fun reminiscing some more. Thanks for injecting some new life in this thread, S&CP!

Old 03-29-2017, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 20,179 times
azmemories I know my dad's office was on River very near Campbell so perhaps his friend's was in that area as well. My parents still live in Tucson but my dad doesn't hear too well over the phone these days so I'll try to remember to ask him about that and the rock throwing when I see them next.

I don't know if I ever went to Golf N Stuff, maybe as a little kid. I remember in high school it was rumored to be a place where you could buy pot haha.

musicfreeq, I didn't realize that was you who had posted about the big candle, too funny how your family has their own. And, yeah, even though my friend's house wasn't that many miles away, it was just in a whole different world back then "up in the foothills". Honestly, my mom probably thought it was far because she had to drive me there at all! Most of my friends lived within biking distance. It's funny because now I work at three different locations each week and one is at River and Craycroft, which really doesn't seem far away now.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfreeq View Post
azmemories, I know little of what you speak since I was already gone - only what I have read on here, but I certainly wish I knew more about the rock-throwing incidents because I find it quite intriguing. It seems like my family told me of it but I recall no details other than them thinking it was really weird, but who wouldn't?! My family home was off Oracle and Roger Rds., so we went north often, into the foothill area for some shopping, appts., etc. Several of my Amphi friends lived in "the foothills." And I went to school for my freshman and sophomore years to IHHS on/near Ina Rd. - remember I checked this on the old map I got on eBay some months ago. We weren't terribly far away, I don't think?

And back to the cool ever-dripping candle at Pancho's that my mom was so enchanted with that she started her own - and kept it going for years! My oldest daughter "inherited" it. Didn't we also talk about the yummy cheese crisps (open face quesadillla) that came from there? I found a recipe online last year or whenever we were discussing this and had to make one right away - for old times' sake!

S&CP, I know exactly what you mean when you talk about your mom thinking a few miles being such a distance: my mom was the same way! Talking about something/someone out near 22nd or Craycroft was "the other side of town" and you might think it was in another universe to go there! Hah! I don't think they were so nervous about bars or anything as much as it just being all relative ... most everything they needed was withing 3 miles from home; nothing was super convenient then as it is now ... very few places to go to eat, much more time spent making meals, cleaning house, laundry (ironing! I got really good at that since my dad's post office uniform shirts needed ironing!)

Anyway, fun reminiscing some more. Thanks for injecting some new life in this thread, S&CP!
No, we were not far away. I spent a lot of time living on the northwest side of town. We would occasionally go shopping at Oracle and Magee, which was very close to the mountains and provided a panoramic view of the city on the way back. I remember you speaking about the map of Tucson from decades ago and someone posted a link to a website that provided aerial views from years past. I remember being surprised to see the strip mall on the northwest side of Oracle and Orange Grove as early as the 1960s. Maybe that is where you went shopping? Nothing else was there at the time, but some shopping was open at Ina I believe.

I have yet to see the rock throwing incident be included in any articles talking about Tucson's past. It was only documented in publications for paranormal enthusiasts. That is not much of a surprise, there was nothing really dramatic about it such as a plane crash or murder.

I think you must spoke to someone else about the open faced quesadillas because I don't think I ever ate at Pancho's.

Last edited by azmemories; 03-29-2017 at 09:08 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinachandChickpeas View Post
azmemories I know my dad's office was on River very near Campbell so perhaps his friend's was in that area as well. My parents still live in Tucson but my dad doesn't hear too well over the phone these days so I'll try to remember to ask him about that and the rock throwing when I see them next.

I don't know if I ever went to Golf N Stuff, maybe as a little kid. I remember in high school it was rumored to be a place where you could buy pot haha.

musicfreeq, I didn't realize that was you who had posted about the big candle, too funny how your family has their own. And, yeah, even though my friend's house wasn't that many miles away, it was just in a whole different world back then "up in the foothills". Honestly, my mom probably thought it was far because she had to drive me there at all! Most of my friends lived within biking distance. It's funny because now I work at three different locations each week and one is at River and Craycroft, which really doesn't seem far away now.
I did have fun at Golf N Stuff and I did not inhale beforehand

Old 03-30-2017, 09:11 AM

azmemories: MAGEE! That was the name of the road IHHS was (is) on! Ina must have been close - and/or more well- traveled. The shopping center up north we would go to was Casa Adobes? It was on the northwest side as we drove north - maybe actually on Oracle? Around Orange Grove? Seems it was north of Roller Coaster Rd., 'cause if we kids were good, Mom would take us for a ride on that crazy road and we would all squeal at the hills and dips it had - just like a roller coaster! My mom would get her hair done in a salon there, every Sat., and it seems there was a store or two we kids might pop in while she was getting "teased" - back in the early 60's! Sound familiar?

And BTW, I went back and checked former AZ Daily Star reporter, Bonnie Henry's 2 books of Tucson Memories (think I got these on Amazon around the time I bought the maps on eBay) and there is nada about the rock-throwing, though the books go up into the 90's - hecky-darn I'm wondering why not if it was written up in the newspaper??

S&CP: You're right - we biked everywhere, too! If there had been any sidewalks around our 'hood, we might have roller-skated sometimes! My cousin and I had the old strap-on style skates you needed the key for (we hung them on a ribbon around our neck to keep from losing them!) and they were not favorites of our parents since the skates had a tendency to pull the soles of our old tennies (Keds, of course!) loose! 'Course, that might be from all the times we couldn't put our hands on our keys and yanked the skates off - half of our shoe and all - hah! We would carry the skates in our bike baskets and ride over to the elementary school - good ol' Wetmore (on Wetmore Rd.) and ride thru the open breezeways - great fun, on the wkends - prob'ly not allowed but no one was there to stop us!

I still have an old skate key - unsure if it was my original but I have fond memories whenever I come across it.

I don't recall Golf 'n Stuff - when was it there? And , azmemories: as far as it being a "source" - the O'Man could prob'ly verify that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson