U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 01:49 PM

42,835 posts, read 82,080,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
I have one of those too.
The thing is sierra doesn't like wasting time being wet and flees to dry lands.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 01:50 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,240,512 times
I don't know where we are going with this anymore. lol

Old 06-16-2009, 01:51 PM

42,835 posts, read 82,080,190 times
Quote:
I don't know where we are going with this anymore. lol
See, that's part of the problem... Other people do.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:10 PM

2,916 posts, read 7,628,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's good. There are also too many wet blankets for balance, unfortunately...
Quote:
I have one of those too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The thing is sierra doesn't like wasting time being wet and flees to dry lands.
Bed wetters?

Old 07-04-2009, 03:12 PM

2,325 posts, read 6,589,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Farrell's at El Con, Shakey's Pizza on Drachman, Solarium and Pawnbroker on Tanque Verde, The Baron's on Golf Links, Prince drive-in at Campbell/Prince, old Campbell Plaza, Magic Carpet Golf, free Flandrau admissions, free access to Mt Lemmon, far less crime proportionate to population, easier hiking trail access, less grafitti, better maintained roads, cooler nights, darker skies, better schools ... I could go on and on.

People who've moved to Tucson in the past 10 years will never understand just how much better the town use to be and how downhill its gone.
Back on subject, here is El Con in its glory days:

Attachment 44509

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 05:12 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 04:33 PM

2,325 posts, read 6,589,230 times
Here is Farrell's in Tucson, I guess it is the one in El Con.

Attachment 44541

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 05:13 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 47,004 times
Came across this site while looking for memories of Tucson, thought I’d add my own. I came here with my mother in the winter of ’63. We moved in to a house on 24th near Swan and we would sit in the front yard and watch movies playing at the 22nd St. drive in.
I remember them (22nd st drive in) having special Saturday night bashes with a rock band, drag cars on show and a triple movie feature showing “b” teen movies. I would sneak in with my friends through a hole in the fence. We would get a cup of free ice and hang out, having the time of our lives! We moved to the east side just in time for me to attend the new Sahuaro High School in ’68. All of the comments about what a great town Tucson was in the day are absolutely correct! It was great, and I had moved here from southern Ca. so I had a very good benchmark to compare. A couple of names that I have not seen posted yet (Oracle Acres miniature Golf) (Bobby McGee’s) (the X house) (Blue note) (Jonnies on Speedway) (Richie’s drive up on 22nd) (Save Co) (Fantastic city) (Prairie dog town at Randolph park)( The Maverick at 22nd and Swan)

Last edited by wof-n-kat; 08-19-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-20-2009, 02:48 AM

4,911 posts, read 7,614,388 times
All of these memories are so wonderful! We first came to Tucson for the kids' Sping break 1993 when they were 19, 16, 9 and 4. The 19 year old wasn't with us that first trip, but she and her now dh were stationed here right after he graduated from the Air Force Academy in June 1993 and then at Luke from '99 - '00. To me, it has changed tremendously in certain areas, and other areas have stayed relatively unscathed. Back then, we spent a lot of time playing tourist and did the Desert Museum, International Wildlife Museum, golfing at DM, Pima Air Space museum, etc, every year, which haven't changed much. The area north and east of Speedway and Wilmot was just beginning to spread east and so much on the northside wasn't there then. It was, as our 4 year old said at the time, very "traffical", but it seemed less hectic feeling. I wish we could have seen Tucson back in the 60's. I love Tucson now, but I think I would have loved it so much more back then. Those of you who lived here and have such wonderful memories of older Tucson are really lucky. I wish I had those memories.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:22 PM

259 posts, read 636,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wof-n-kat View Post
Came across this site while looking for memories of Tucson, thought I’d add my own. I came here with my mother in the winter of ’63. We moved in to a house on 24th near Swan and we would sit in the front yard and watch movies playing at the 22nd St. drive in.
I remember them (22nd st drive in) having special Saturday night bashes with a rock band, drag cars on show and a triple movie feature showing “b” teen movies. I would sneak in with my friends through a hole in the fence. We would get a cup of free ice and hang out, having the time of our lives! We moved to the east side just in time for me to attend the new Sahuaro High School in ’68. All of the comments about what a great town Tucson was in the day are absolutely correct! It was great, and I had moved here from southern Ca. so I had a very good benchmark to compare. A couple of names that I have not seen posted yet (Oracle Acres miniature Golf) (Bobby McGee’s) (the X house) (Blue note) (Jonnies on Speedway) (Richie’s drive up on 22nd) (Save Co) (Fantastic city) (Prairie dog town at Randolph park)( The Maverick at 22nd and Swan)
I posted this back on page 5. I also mentioned 22 nd st drive in.

Used to hang out at the Johnnies on speedway and craycroft. If we had enough money, we'd fill up at the shell station on the same corner and do a little drag racing up and down speedway. The Midway drive in on speedway was our preferred makeout spot back then.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,719,276 times
Solarium, Maverick featured Gary Rust and the Country Kings, right? Spaghetti Company, Pawnbroker, Coco's, Wally Sevitts plumbing 'call for Wally' tune, Green Dolphin, Stumble Inn, East Inn, Grandfalloon, After the Goldrush, Jekyll and Hydes, Rusty Scupper, filming of tv series Petrocelli starring Barry Newman (filmed a lot inside Bum Steer), Someplace Else bar (Jim Anderson ... 'where the elite meat meet meat' plus his sex chamber off the bar now relocated to Meet Rack on Drachman), Scordato's, Fed Mart, Pirate's Den on Golf Links, great bar downtown in LaPlacita in late 70's whose name escapes me, original Steak Out in Sonoita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson