Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 03:39 PM

4,235 posts, read 13,998,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUZINSPEEDWAY73 View Post
TMC , UNIVERSITY and EL DORADO
I don't think University existed in 1962, but St Mary's did.....also, the Southern Pacific hospital downtown existed....and the Veteran's hospital
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 7,536 times
Well I'm sitting here in Michigan, February and ready for some warm weather! I'm glad I found this site! I've got many fond memories of Tucson. I lived there from 9/74 until 4/79. I was back there in 1986 and realized Tucson was where I was meant to live. Maybe some day! I worked at Big Boy's on Speedway/Swan from 74-79. I'd love to reconnect with friends and co-workers! I loved eegees! Loved Sams Tavern on 22 or 29 Street! We used to 4 wheel in the Pantano Wash .... also husband at the time rolled our new Blazer somewhere out towards Harrison or Houghton Roads (note former husband!) Thanks to all of you for some great memories....hopefully I'll connect with some old friends!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
Sitting here, in snowy New England, where I spent a few hours this afternoon chipping ice from my driveway, I really missed the sunny Tucson of my youth.
I happened onto this thread tonight, yeah, I used to work at the Fat Boy on Speedway for a while in the early 70's, at the Big Boy too.
I went looking for a certain old picture, and here it is:
I think it was published in Life, in 1970, as one of the ugliest streets in America.
I didn't think it looked that bad in real life. I used to live a few blocks from there.
The El Rancho market was my introduction to all night grocery shopping. They didn't have that back east. I can recall going into Korby's, and looking for a western shirt over at the El Con shopping center.
I'd been to Shakey's Pizza a few times, when we had money to spend, and getting burgers at Sandy's when we didn't. They were the worst burgers my friends & I had ever eaten, but after a while, they grew on us.
Sabino Canyon was one of my favorite places. Once in a while someone would have the use of a car on a weekend and off we'd go. It was gorgeous.
Some evenings we'd hang out at Catalina Park, and get caught by the sprinklers.
I remember shopping for a bathing suit at Steinfelds, didn't shop often, hadn't much cash back then. One of my treats was a slice of hot apple pie with cheese and cinnamon sauce. I think we used to get it at Walgreens downtown.
I remember there was a street downtown, where some artists had opened shops. I don't recall the name of the street, just that it was lined with 2 or 3 story brick buildings, just like an eastern city, shops on the ground floor, offices or apartments above. it's a hazy memory. I searched on google earth, but everything downtown seems to be gone, it's just your basic bland urbanscape.
Wow does this bring back memories! Loved the Bum Steer...pitures of Rum/Coke! OMG anything on Wilmot was a nice place...not the hood!! Had friends who lived in apts on Campbell & ?? River Rd? Thanks for some great memories!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New West 2020 View Post
The Bob Meehan Band at the Solarium. Disco at the Bum Steer with $1 Tequila Sunrises. Saguaros were green and pot was yellow, not the other way 'round. Free keggers at Pontatoc Road - way out in the boonies then. 1600 N Wilmot was a swinging singles complex, not the hood, Choo Choo's before it became the Night Train, KWFM Kite Flying Contest when River and Campbell was a hippie haven.

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-19-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 PM

8 posts, read 66,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUZINSPEEDWAY73 View Post
TMC , UNIVERSITY and EL DORADO
Actually, El Dorado and UMC didn't exist yet but St Joseph's was built in 1961. They probably weren't up and running with OB/GYN services though. Most babies were born at either St. Mary's or TMC.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 33,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unomee View Post
Was your uncle the guy name Bernie? I think this was his name. Bought a lot of records from there.
Re: Zip's, Bernie is my dad (my uncles are Ron and David).

Old 03-12-2012, 11:13 AM

30,468 posts, read 21,660,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
For me... I grew up in the 80's. Everything from the 80's is still there! lol! Still have the Mcdonnalds with the giant T-rex because of Jurassic park. Park Mall is still better then Tucson mall. The east side hasn't changed in any shape or form. N Sabino Canyon Rd hasn't changed in any form. The fry's is still there, though there is a cold stone there now, but that's about it...Eegees is still in Tucson.There is still a ton of shady small businesses.

Still a small town feel. The only thing that's changed for me is the north side. Oro Valley has grown into somewhere beautiful. I really see that becoming more urban and a Seattle feel than downtown Tucson. They have bike paths! Though I remember when there was NOTHING out there but the juve jail out there. Hell... even part of Tucson is in Pinal county now!

Lumberjack turned into payless cashways which then left a bunch of giant empty lumber yard type buildings around the country... including Tucson...
Tucson is definately more of a small town feel compared to Phoenix, LV or SD. A lot of the little bars are still open I see, but some of the ones that I thought would be there forever have closed.

I can't believe the Bum Steer is closed. I don't ever remember it not having a crowd and would stop in there every few visits.

Who was that bald headed guy who owned "Someplace Else"? I remember seeing him and his group out jogging on Speedway. I always heard the bar was a quasi sex club, but figured it was rumor and inuendo?

Then there was the "Bashful Bandit" (on Speedway if I remember). A wannabe biker guy that I used to work with dragged me in there when I was younger. I think it's closed now?

Old 03-18-2012, 10:38 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,660,008 times
A lot of that stuff I don't know, i just remember my childhood and other things. My family would know more about Tucson, as we had 2 generations of people that lived there. Though I just remembered the old gemco building that finally was turned into something. I remember visiting every summer and say, when is someone going to put something in there. That one Mexican buffet place on the east side is still alive, i love that place.

One thing that annoyed me about Tucson is the random speed limit changes. When I lived there as an adult for 2 months, lol, I would drive in an area where it says 45 then 35 then 45.... Seriously? I got pegged with so many speeding tickets in Tucson

Old 03-26-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
One thing that annoyed me about Tucson is the random speed limit changes. When I lived there as an adult for 2 months, lol, I would drive in an area where it says 45 then 35 then 45.... Seriously? I got pegged with so many speeding tickets in Tucson
As if that wasn't bad enough, now TPD does random "enforcement zones" with their radar vans. They usually put them in one of the reduced speed areas like when it goes from 45 to 35 on the same street. Generates a lot of revenue.

PV64

Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Then there was the "Bashful Bandit" (on Speedway if I remember). A wannabe biker guy that I used to work with dragged me in there when I was younger. I think it's closed now?
It's still there. Gotta be one of the oldest bars in town.
I always went a little further east on Speedway to the Poco Loco (gone) and the place about a half block from the BB where Ted Contes bartended. Ted opened his own place (Ted's College Bar on 22nd St, also gone) sometime in the early 70's and that was my favorite hangout.

PV64

Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,969,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Who was that bald headed guy who owned "Someplace Else"? I remember seeing him and his group out jogging on Speedway. I always heard the bar was a quasi sex club, but figured it was rumor and inuendo?
His name is Jim Anderson and you'll find him and his sex toys over at the Meet Rack on Drachman.

The Meet Rack - Tucson, AZ

Old 03-27-2012, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,263 times
Cool Tucson 60s and 70s

I used to be a carhop at Johnies Fat Boy in the sixties. I wonder if there is any way I could get an old picture of it so I can show my grandchildren? I always tell them about my uniform (red mini skirt with a white stripe and white boots) and the cars cruising through all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson