Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 06:09 PM

643 posts, read 2,046,138 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys!

I'm really excited about moving to AZ - we'll be there for Christmas next year and I can't wait.

I remember, when I was growing up in CA that the christmas trees we bought were sort of bushy and had looong, pokey needles. Here in NC, they have these lumpy, ugly trees - Fraser Fir (http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...info_firf2.jpg).

What kind of trees are most popular in AZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 06:20 PM

529 posts, read 2,385,437 times
Hmm I can't help out here, but I certainly enjoy driving around town and seeing the signs that say "Living Christmas Trees," makes me laugh every single time.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,933,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
Hmm I can't help out here
Neither can I. The fake ones are popular in my house.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:53 PM

38,963 posts, read 50,895,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
Hmm I can't help out here, but I certainly enjoy driving around town and seeing the signs that say "Living Christmas Trees," makes me laugh every single time.
Maybe the signs are referring to the Eldarica or Goldwater Pine. They are sold as potted trees around Christmas. You put 'em in the house and then plant them in the yard after the holiday - a living tree. They are a desert pine and do very well in our climate.

As for cut trees, the Fraser is sold here, but I think the most popular are the Noble Fir (it hangs on to its needles) and the Douglas Fir (loses them like crazy). You can also get permits to go chop down your own on the national forests. Most permits are for juniper and pinon pines. These are Charley Brown trees, but getting them is a part of many AZ families' holiday tradition.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:01 PM

683 posts, read 2,642,626 times
The Douglas Fir is probably the most popular.

National Christmas Tree Association: Douglas Fir (http://www.christmastree.org/trees/douglas.cfm - broken link)

Like Ponderosa (hey, that's a pine) said, the Goldwater and Eldarica are the living trees you can buy and then plant after Christmas is over.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:06 PM

683 posts, read 2,642,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
As for cut trees, the Fraser is sold here, but I think the most popular are the Noble Fir (it hangs on to its needles) and the Douglas Fir (loses them like crazy).
If I remember from last year, the Noble costs more, but its a better tree because it does hang on to it's needles and stays fresher longer.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:02 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,533,522 times
When we lived in CO, we got permits to cut our own. They last a lot longer than lot trees that were probably cut in Michigan in September. Nowadays, though, we've gone with the pre-lit 5' tree from Home Depot. I hate pine needles in the carpeting.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:19 PM

529 posts, read 2,385,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Maybe the signs are referring to the Eldarica or Goldwater Pine. They are sold as potted trees around Christmas. You put 'em in the house and then plant them in the yard after the holiday - a living tree.
Doh! Learn something new every day! Thanks for the info!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:10 AM

643 posts, read 2,046,138 times
Thanks, guys!

On a slightly related note: Martha Stewart says you can put 7Up or Sprite in your tree stand's water resevoir to keep the tree greener longer. All the preservatives, citrus and super-sugars (high fructose corn syrup - you know what they say - lol!) keep it happy. I've never tried it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson