Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 7,918 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to move to Tucson next year from the Washington, DC area and already know Tucson pretty well having visited family in Tucson for ten years. We already know that Tucson's cultural scene bears no resemblance to NYC, Phila, DC, etc. However, we assume that there must be some interesting things going on culturally somewhere in Tucson. We know the U of A campus, Art museum and Warehouse districts, and a couple of funky coffee houses/cafes, but are trying to get a fix on what else might be around. My wife is an accomplished figurative sculptor and I am a comeback trumpet player both recently retired from day jobs and not looking to make any money from the arts, just enjoy doing them and being around creative people who dig them also!! Any ideas, suggestions, contact greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,890 times
Well there is a lot of music in Tucson. Check out Your Live Music Source - Tucson Music Scene (http://www.tucsonmusicscene.com - broken link)
for an ever expanding listing of live music in town. I just started this site so people could easily find the music in town.

We just moved hear about 1 1/2 years ago. The live music scene surprised and pleased me. Also there is a fair amount of live theater here. Those are the areas I'm interested in.

I noticed you list Reston as your location. Lived there over 20 years ago. Its grown quite a bit since then.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:30 AM

609 posts, read 807,925 times
Welcome to Tucson from Washington DC,
My partner and I moved here for graduate school two years ago from Portland, Oregon. I am glad that you already have an understanding that culturally speaking, you will taking a large step down from the downtown/metropolitan culture of big cities on the east coast.
Tucson is a big city by western standards but still feels like a small city when it comes to amenities. It has all the boredom of a small town with all the bigger city problems of a large city. Tucson is mostly strip malls and never ending sprawl. The culture here is on one street: 4th avenue. Move within several blocks of the 4th avenue strip and you will be happy. You can also walk to the U of A campus if you live here. If you don't , you will be living in an anti-green sprawling hell of a city. Tucson is like Bakersfield, Fresno, and Modesto California. I love California and was born there, but most Californians laugh hysterically if you mention any of those cities. If you are interested in living in a sustainable and interesting city, do not move to Tucson.
If you love driving in traffic to not much at all, then move here immediately. My partner and I have withstood two years of here with one more to go and I can't wait to leave.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:37 PM

474 posts, read 1,066,900 times
Where is the culture in this town? If anyone finds it, let us all know where it is!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 PM

Tucson culture? Boy, is that an oxymoron!

Old 09-05-2008, 01:04 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellringer View Post
where is the culture in this town? If anyone finds it, let us all know where it is!
Quote:
tucson culture? Boy, is that an oxymoron!
Hi, Belle! Tucson is overflowing with culture, girl! We have SO much culture here, its practically oozing out of our ears!

You want examples, don't you? Okay, silly! Here we go...

First of all, culture comes from within... YOU are the culture which was brought to Arizona. New Tucsonans bring culture with them to this wonderful city of ours.

See? It was all right there before our very eyes, and we never really saw it.

Do you suppose that California or New York already had culture before people began moving there back in the earlies? That would be a big no, Belle! A very big NO! Culture is not about what some other city or town has or claim they have. Its what we make it. Cool, eh?

Even the guy who was born in California above brought his particular type of culture here with him! Unbelievable, right?

Even you, Belle, bring your own brand of culture to the Arid Zone.

Seriously.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
For Belle, from dictionary.com:

cul·ture/ˈkʌltʃər/ [kuhl-cher]noun, verb, -tured, -tur·ing.
–noun the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.

See?

Old 09-05-2008, 02:30 PM

Zony-Why don't you go sell this stuff to someone who's buying it?

Last edited by bellringer; 09-05-2008 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: added smiley so people know I'm joking

Old 09-05-2008, 02:35 PM

What kind of smiley does one use to denote a rhetorical question?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:02 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,881 times
Quote:
What kind of smiley does one use to denote a rhetorical question?
Do you really need one with the question you asked to ZP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson