Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:16 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,300 times

Advertisements

Ok I love Tucson...The more I think about it the more I wanna move. I know about the crime, heat, illegals and all but it just seems like the right place for me at this time in my life. With that being said where are all the jobs. I've checked Raytheon, UofA, Northwest Medical Center. Where do people work that pays a solid wage and allows you to afford 300,000 mortgage???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 08:38 PM

163 posts, read 824,194 times
Wink Yes, let us know

Let us know when you find out. Tucson is noted for being a low wage town.
Unless you are a medical or legal professional or engineer, it may be hard to find a really good paying job.
Most that I know are from places/states where they sold their homes and had a really nice down payment, or retiree's with little or no mortgage.
But there is still some affordable housing here.
Might be wise to had a job or strong posibility before moving.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:18 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
I'm getting transfered out there as i'm in the apartment industry so i already have a job there. Its nice to know there are alot of apartment complexes as these are all potential job sites and lots of work in this industry. Get your HVAC and you've got made if you have a good work ethic...

Old 02-13-2007, 04:46 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
I wanted to add to my above post that also the Leasing and Management sector of the appartment industry is hiring and there is a shortage in this industry. I myself am put on hold to transfer out to Tucson because we are so short handed here in Albuquerque. Can't wait to get to southern Arizona as i love hot dry weather. No Cold (albuquerque) or Humidity (florida) for me....

Old 02-13-2007, 08:18 AM

163 posts, read 824,194 times
Unhappy Salary

Hi.
Yes a lot are hiring and the reason jobs are not filled is usually because of the location of the job or the low salary.
Who the heck wants to work for the low wages these employers are offering.
Not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 10:34 AM

57 posts, read 292,307 times
Depends on what your profession is, but yes, for whatever reason, employers see Tucson as a low cost of living town and attempt to pay accordingly. My theory on that is the real estate market seems to be 2 extremes, with not a ton of middle ground. It's either you live in the bad part of the city where real estate is cheap, or you live in the Foothills where it's very expensive. Not as much middle class median homes compared to other places I've looked. But that's just a theory, I have nothing to back that up.

There is money here, with Intuit, Raytheon, U of A, IBM, and several other tech employers paying well. An EXTREME shortage of trained medical personal means you can really pick and choose your job if you're an RN or MD of any kind, and they pay well from what I've seen. The flip side of this is that if you're not in the tech or medical professions, as stated above, it can be rough finding a decent paying job. My employer pays 5-10% less in Tucson than the rest of the country, based on those cost of living estimates. Makes it tough.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,437 times
Default Wrong place to move!

I've been here in Tucson for 15 years now and NOTHING in my life has gone in an upward direction since! The pay is HIDEOUS here and there is nothing worth doing more than 3x's! You move here.. you get stuck here and can't get out because you can never find a decent paying job. I have met multiple people that completely agree with me. I came from NY and Miami, FL and this was the biggest mistake of my life!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:34 PM

15 posts, read 39,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaco View Post
I've been here in Tucson for 15 years now and NOTHING in my life has gone in an upward direction since! The pay is HIDEOUS here and there is nothing worth doing more than 3x's! You move here.. you get stuck here and can't get out because you can never find a decent paying job. I have met multiple people that completely agree with me. I came from NY and Miami, FL and this was the biggest mistake of my life!
limaco, I feel sorry that you have had such a negative experience of Tucson. As someone who has bounced around a lot, I am fascinated that you managed to stay 15 years in a place you obviously feel so odious towards. I just have to inquire - why would you stay, if it is so awful for you?

There is a big, wide world out there and no doubt places that suite each of us better than others. (Ultimately, or eventually, though, I do see that each individual has to reconcile the place where they live and look for what they do love in it...)

Old 04-06-2010, 09:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
I moved here four years ago with relatives and friends here saying, "You won't have any trouble getting a job; Tucson's growing like crazy!" A YEAR LATER I finally got hired, and within two years the company I was working for went bankrupt. And I could see it coming a mile away since the management was so terrible. I can't afford to leave since I bought a home that has lost approximately $75,000 in "value" since I purchased it. I'm now trying to get retraining for a medical job since that's the only kind of work there seems to be in Tucson.

Zippy7fo, if you want to pay $300,000 for a house you can purchase mine.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Ok I love Tucson...The more I think about it the more I wanna move. I know about the crime, heat, illegals and all but it just seems like the right place for me at this time in my life.
I'm no cheerleader for Tucson, but "crime, heat, illegals" are not at the top of my list of complaints. Do you think those issues are more endemic to Tucson than anywhere else in the desert U.S.? If so, why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson