Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:29 PM

104 posts, read 319,520 times

Advertisements

None here as far as I can tell. had to start making my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 08:34 PM

64 posts, read 263,004 times
Mr. K's in South Tucson is the very best in Tucson. If you're a real BBQ lover ask for the sauce on the side and my favorite were the pork ribs.
1830 S Park Ave

NOBODY does beef brisket like Texas so I don't recommend that anywhere but TX, but his ribs are very good.

Tom's on East 22nd is good too.

BTW, El Paso has a Rudy's now and their brisket is some of the best IMO.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:57 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
Yes that's true. I went for the first time a few months ago and I wasn't very impressed, actually I was a bit nonplussed after I left because of all the good things I had heard about it.

When I'm craving BBQ I head over to Lil Abners, their ribs always hit the spot.
I just heard someone talking about this place when we were visiting the Desert Museum this Sunday. I think it was closed (from the response they got trying to dial 411 and get through to the place) but the guy was talking about how they have great BBQ.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haaamean View Post
Mr. K's in South Tucson is the very best in Tucson. If you're a real BBQ lover ask for the sauce on the side and my favorite were the pork ribs.
1830 S Park Ave

NOBODY does beef brisket like Texas so I don't recommend that anywhere but TX, but his ribs are very good.

Tom's on East 22nd is good too.

BTW, El Paso has a Rudy's now and their brisket is some of the best IMO.
I'm with you on the Rudy's brisket. that stuff is awesome. It's worth the trip once in awhile just to get that.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,689 times
Default Your own backyard

I have been to several states and to date I have never found anything in Tucson that just makes my mouth water. In this area I recommend creating your own sauce and using your own grill or smoker. It comes down to personal prefernce and mine is very picky. There are several companies on the Internet that can make you an expensive smoker quaranteed to move funds from you to them but they will not work unless you practice the art. I build smokers so I know this for a fact. There is however a fairly nice inexpensive unit at Home Depot that will do the trick for home use. I believe the cost is around $199.00. The art is in keeping perfect temps, sauce and cooking times. Kansas City (or some where near there) has a large BBQ competition every year and has lots of choices on sauce. There are 2 types of sauces one of which is tomato based, I forget the other. It really depands on your preference. In most cases the sauce is what folks consider makes the BBQ. Actually it is how the meat is preped and cooked. A perfect cook will always have a smoke ring inside the meat that looks like a red line. If your meat comes out brown in the middle after hours on the smoker it is over done and dry. Makes for tough meat. Remember, low (around 225 degrees)(even that temp is debatable by most) and slow is the best way to Smoke your meats. Normally taking 2 or more hours depending on the size of cut.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:37 AM

64 posts, read 263,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnybeeeee9 View Post
I have been to several states and to date I have never found anything in Tucson that just makes my mouth water. In this area I recommend creating your own sauce and using your own grill or smoker. It comes down to personal prefernce and mine is very picky. There are several companies on the Internet that can make you an expensive smoker quaranteed to move funds from you to them but they will not work unless you practice the art. I build smokers so I know this for a fact. There is however a fairly nice inexpensive unit at Home Depot that will do the trick for home use. I believe the cost is around $199.00. The art is in keeping perfect temps, sauce and cooking times. Kansas City (or some where near there) has a large BBQ competition every year and has lots of choices on sauce. There are 2 types of sauces one of which is tomato based, I forget the other. It really depands on your preference. In most cases the sauce is what folks consider makes the BBQ. Actually it is how the meat is preped and cooked. A perfect cook will always have a smoke ring inside the meat that looks like a red line. If your meat comes out brown in the middle after hours on the smoker it is over done and dry. Makes for tough meat. Remember, low (around 225 degrees)(even that temp is debatable by most) and slow is the best way to Smoke your meats. Normally taking 2 or more hours depending on the size of cut.
Nice take,

I also smoke my own pork and chicken. The thing about the briskets though is that they don't cook as slow as you would think in TX. They use a pit system that cooks the whole brisket in about 4 hours. Their other meats like ribs and pork aren't really as good as you can find elsewhere, but their brisket's amazing.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:25 PM

Just finished 2x 10lb briskets this weekend. Took about 12 hrs to finish, then you let sit in a cooler for 30 mins to 2 hrs. My smoker is super leaky but I keep the temp around 225. Looking to get a better one soon. The one I have is the brinkmann vertical offset from Bass Pro Shops. If you guys know a guy in Tucson that can make a good one I'd appreciate his contact info.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson