Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,450 times

Advertisements

It all starts in K-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 05:43 PM

89 posts, read 385,969 times
Default Good Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Just one example. If you go to the hospital emergency room, how do you think those people were educated in order to treat you?
Glad you asked this Billy! I would assume that those medical professionals were educated at any number of universities with medical schools in them. However, I suspect you are referring to their early educational experiences and they would be at private schools (such as my own children attend), homeschooling (such as HelpAholicAddict's kids do), or public schooling to name a few.

I suspect your next thought is going to be along the lines of "most children attend public schools" type of thing to which I would say that their parents are the ones who should be held responsible for the taxes that go to pay the public school teachers' salaries. I have to pay my children's teacher's salaries at a private school AND the public school taxes on top of it.

When my children finish their education and go on to make the community a better place in which to live, I will not ask you to help subsidize their private schooling tuition from their childhoods. Fair enough?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDL-A View Post

When my children finish their education and go on to make the community a better place in which to live, I will not ask you to help subsidize their private schooling tuition from their childhoods. Fair enough?
Heh, if I have to be selfish, I don't care to pay for anybody's kids' education since I don't have any, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:52 AM

Thumbs up You're exactly right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Heh, if I have to be selfish, I don't care to pay for anybody's kids' education since I don't have any, but that's how the cookie crumbles.
Actually Sierra, that's exactly my point; you shouldn't have to pay for anybody else's kids' education! I agree emphatically!!

Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM

595 posts, read 2,308,334 times
You should see how many kids on free lunch get picked up in 30,000 Usd SUVs. Most have mobile phones, too. TUSD is absolutely hideous. It is two steps below the K-12s in Phoenix, and that ain't sayin' a hell of a lot.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:17 PM

Thumbs down Sometimes, life is just not fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
You should see how many kids on free lunch get picked up in 30,000 Usd SUVs. Most have mobile phones, too.

That's disgusting and it just makes my blood boil! It really seems unfair.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,166 times
And since the Prop 403 override failed, Ann-Eve Pederson has already stated that they will bully us with passing it again. More money for more La Raza studies for those very same children who are getting free lunches and being picked up by thier Pimped out SUV, none of which appear to come with blinkers.

No matter how many times she tries to shove the TUSD Override down my throat, I'm not having it. I'll CONSIDER it, after they have removed these leeching programs and people.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I agree, private schooling should not be subsidized. But we all should contribute to the cost of public schools. Many of those children will also make the community a better place to live. Public schools benefit all of society, many of those benefits help citizens that never had children.

There's a lot of services I'm taxed for even though I don't utilize them. We all have the option of contacting our government representatives to do something about it. However, I think we all know how ineffective that usually is. Legislation for school vouchers is probably the route you want to take.

In one of your other posts you had talked about gender identity issues in children. You know there's been millions of dollars spent on the research of that subject. A majority of those dollars come from people that don't deal with that issue. In fact, there's probably a lot of people that would object to any of their money being spent on that type of research. But medical research is done for the good of society, not for specific individuals.

The war in Iraq has been a very divisive issue in our country. But we don't get to choose whether or not our tax dollars support the war. We might have a lot fewer wars though if we did.

I just thought of something interesting. I live in Pinal County, but every day I'm driving in Pima County. I'm not sure where all the tax money for roads comes from, but I just might be freeloading when I drive on Pima County roads. I bet there's some people that would like to set up a toll booth for me at the county line.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:13 PM

Question Millions of Dollars????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
In one of your other posts you had talked about gender identity issues in children. You know there's been millions of dollars spent on the research of that subject. A majority of those dollars come from people that don't deal with that issue. In fact, there's probably a lot of people that would object to any of their money being spent on that type of research.
I'd LOVE to see the source of this information!!!! No, seriously, I've never heard of a single government dollar (taxes) being spent on researching transgendered youth. To be proven wrong on this would leave me elated, so my invitation to do just that is genuine.

However, I do believe you are hoping to skew the conversation from taxes to transgender issues; if this is the case, please open a new thread so it is relevant.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I'd LOVE to see the source of this information!!!! No, seriously, I've never heard of a single government dollar (taxes) being spent on researching transgendered youth. To be proven wrong on this would leave me elated, so my invitation to do just that is genuine.

However, I do believe you are hoping to skew the conversation from taxes to transgender issues; if this is the case, please open a new thread so it is relevant.
Nope, not trying to skew. Just looking for examples.

Just from what I've read, it seems like transgendered research is often combined with gay, lesbian, and bisexual research. I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do or not. There are similarities and common issues. I haven't done a search on it, so I'm just guessing that government funds, probably through public Universities, have been used to do research.

Here's an article that you might find interesting. It's about the Harvey Milk High School in New York.

Gay kids get own school / Harvey Milk High opens in New York (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/09/09/MN292862.DTL - broken link)

Praised by Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the school expanded this year from a two-classroom program to a full-fledged high school with 72 students. But the decision to open a separate high school using $3.2 million in public funds has drawn fire from diverse quarters.

So there's tax dollars being used for the benefit of 72 students and I would bet that some of those students might not get that opportunity if they had to pay for it themselves. I still think we all need to contribute to public schools whether or not we have children attending them. I'll admit though that there might be a case for parents with kids attending private schools to get a tax break. But I think they still have an obligation to also contribute to the public school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson