Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:37 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,522,443 times

Advertisements

TUSD spending $550,000 to recruit highly qualified, minority teachers | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/262102 - broken link)

This sounds like the beginning of segregation in our schools again, to me.

Another reason to not pass the Override (prop 403). TUSD does not deserve any more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 10:08 AM

359 posts, read 1,195,610 times
With all of the budget cuts going on at TUSD, All I can say is "good luck TUSD, and God's Speed"

Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
With all of the budget cuts going on at TUSD, All I can say is "good luck TUSD, and God's Speed"
Unless the Budget Override passes, then they will have a ton of money to waste for the next few years, until they are broke again.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM

359 posts, read 1,195,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Unless the Budget Override passes, then they will have a ton of money to waste for the next few years, until they are broke again.
Good point, we'll see what happens on November 4th

Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 29,796 times
If TUSD gets grants to help provide children with a much needed decent education, maybe all of the parents of TUSD students will no longer have to worry about if their child will graduate high school or not. Federal Grants may be a tough thing for them to get, but they honestly need to do much better than they have. My son has not attended a TUSD public school for a year now. He receives his school at home on a computer and over the phone. This is due to a disaster that happend when he attended a TUSD school, so I think they really need to make some serious changes to beneift the students, or they will not be around much longer and many teachers can be out of jobs.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:36 PM

89 posts, read 385,089 times
Lightbulb Must We All Pay?!

I think it would be awesome if we all had to pay only those taxes relevant to us as individuals. No, seriously, I think it could be done.

Rather than an across-the-board flat tax rate for everyone to pay, it would be ideal if we were responsible for those things in which we utilized. For instance, in Japan all car owners must pay a road tax annually, which varies depending on the weight and engine size of your vehicle. I would also like to see those of us that pay for a private education for our children (or homeschooling our children) exempt from paying TUSD portions of our taxes. This would also prevent families without children in the home from having to pay for these school taxes.

Certainly some things would remain the same such as fuel, sin taxes (tobacco, alcohol, gambling, etc.), restaurant meals, etc.; however, I would certainly feel better not having to pay teacher's salaries that I don't utilize (and that don't want my children in their classrooms due to personal prejudice).

It could be like a voter's registration type card, or a marking on your driver's license, or something similar that you hand over at the register that automatically rings up the totals adjusted to your specific tax level. Yes, I know this is all a pipe dream, but if I were The Powers That Be, I would make it so.

Just my two cents (tax free for your reading pleasure).

Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,989,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDL-A View Post
Just my two cents (tax free for your reading pleasure).
Nah... in this country we smokers pay for everybody and don't get to enjoy any social life to boot.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:46 AM

683 posts, read 2,644,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDL-A View Post
I would certainly feel better not having to pay teacher's salaries that I don't utilize
Just one example. If you go to the hospital emergency room, how do you think those people were educated in order to treat you?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:35 AM

42,831 posts, read 87,989,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Just one example. If you go to the hospital emergency room, how do you think those people were educated in order to treat you?
Paying their own way? It's not like advanced education is free here or has ever been.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Are you telling me public education is all I need to work as a nurse or a doctor?

I wish I knew that years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson