U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:33 PM

42,835 posts, read 83,703,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf77 View Post
what else to do in Vail as it is unincorporated.
How about Pima County Animal Control...? There's also Pima County Animal Care. I'm not sure which one deals with this crap. I was told we can call the cops, too, preferably when they're not busy. Look at this site also:

Animal Cruelty Taskforce of Southern Arizona

There have to be some county services.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:24 AM

104 posts, read 300,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
How about Pima County Animal Control...? There's also Pima County Animal Care. I'm not sure which one deals with this crap. I was told we can call the cops, too, preferably when they're not busy. Look at this site also:

Animal Cruelty Taskforce of Southern Arizona

There have to be some county services.
I will check it out the next time he's keeping me up all night. We didn't hear him last night. It doesn't help that the coyotes get going sometimes for a few mins then the dogs start barking back for hours. This one dog though just goes for no reason, all night.

I hope you get your problem fixed. I love dogs but I never had one, even growing up, that was a barker. If my old siberian husky barked we knew something really weird was going on in the yard (possum, skunk, etc).

Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,786,842 times
Want to know what a joke Pima Animal Control is? When they issued the citation to appear in court the dog owner's roomate (who was as exasperated as I) received it at the door. According to the court this made *him* liable, not the dog's owner who also happened to own the house!

You might ask whether the dog's owner ended up taking responsibility? Nope. I had hoped he would step up so his roomate wouldn't take the fall. Some pal, huh? I told the court what a joke they were when they passed sentence.

The dog? Still barking last I heard.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:00 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,904,837 times
It seems to me that the first order of business is to let the neighbors know you are bothered. Write them a note and stick it in their mailbox. If this doesn't work, look at other options. They deserve to know it's an issue. Granted, they should not be so inconsiderate, but give them a chance to correct the problem before reporting them.

I wrote my neighbors a note telling them their barking dog at 5:30 a.m. was a problem, and the problem was fixed just by doing that.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I wrote my neighbors a note telling them their barking dog at 5:30 a.m. was a problem, and the problem was fixed just by doing that.
I highly doubt that'll happen, but I will try this first, of course.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I highly doubt that'll happen, but I will try this first, of course.
Well, it won't make it worse, as in the case with a neighbor who plays their music too loud (they can always turn it up).

I once lived in a neighborhood with this dog that barked nonstop. Got to the point where my next door neighbor ran out naked one night with a machete in his hand - that's how bad it got. We finally ended up getting the neighborhood to sign a petition. Easier to start off with a note in the mailbox

Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 PM

683 posts, read 2,511,444 times
Crate training is the way to go if you get a dog.

Crate Training | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html - broken link)

We have three dogs and they view their crates as their den. They actually enjoy sleeping in there. We just say "bedtime" and off they go. They're in there about five hours during the day and five hours during the night. They get plenty of excercise the rest of the day. Most importantly, they don't bother the neighbors while we're at work and school, or when we are sleeping at night. They also don't get into trouble. I wish I'd done this with the other dogs I've had.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Crate training is the way to go if you get a dog.

Crate Training | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html - broken link)

We have three dogs and they view their crates as their den. They actually enjoy sleeping in there. We just say "bedtime" and off they go. They're in there about five hours during the day and five hours during the night. They get plenty of excercise the rest of the day. Most importantly, they don't bother the neighbors while we're at work and school, or when we are sleeping at night. They also don't get into trouble. I wish I'd done this with the other dogs I've had.
Guess who would care about that...? I've been putting off this unpleasant chore as any other of this nature, but I'm mailing the letter tomorrow.

There just HAS to be balance in the universe - you can't possibly have a moment of peace! The first few months were great - I had good neighbors, only the construction work was annoying me, and I thought as soon as it's over I'll be fine. Well, construction work was over and those jerks moved in... You can hardly escape barking anywhere, though, unless you're perched on a hill in the foothills. And I have seen worse places...

Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Guess who would care about that...? I've been putting off this unpleasant chore as any other of this nature, but I'm mailing the letter tomorrow.

There just HAS to be balance in the universe - you can't possibly have a moment of peace! The first few months were great - I had good neighbors, only the construction work was annoying me, and I thought as soon as it's over I'll be fine. Well, construction work was over and those jerks moved in... You can hardly escape barking anywhere, though, unless you're perched on a hill in the foothills. And I have seen worse places...
You remind me of me. I vote for just sending a NICE letter and being done with it. If they don't take note, then go to the next step.

I can't tell you how many letters I've written (and never sent) to the neighbors behind me over five years. They have this annoying habit of turning up their stereo. Still the worst it ever has been was once a week and then maybe 5 bad hours on one weekend. I realize I can make the situation worse by sending the letter, as they can turn it up, plus, I admit, I am ULTRA picky about noise and probably a freak. I used to take a hammer to the wall at this one place I lived in CA - common wall. I HATE noise. I can deal with jets and the like, as it's unavoidable noise. Rude neighbors, OTOH, bug me. In fact, I think my next door neighbors just had a pool or spa put in maybe 30 feet away from our fence and kept the pump running and it bugged me.

OK, I realize I have an issue. I like dead quiet. This is why I am afraid to move. I have half an acre lot in a quiet and upscale neighborhood (demographics would indicate people should behave appropriately), but I am still OCD.

Good luck! And don't stress. Step by step.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:08 PM

25,106 posts, read 37,142,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I like dead quiet. This is why I am afraid to move.
This why we live where we do - the nearest neighbor is almost a mile away as the crow flies -

No noise of any kind - from anybody, or any where
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson