U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:29 PM

613 posts, read 898,998 times

Advertisements

Thanks, cy70x7, for the explanation of the current workings of the system. I don't have pets, and I don't have annoying animals around me, but it's still good information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 2,625 times
I agree wih you 2farsouth. But we must forgive those who speak out of ignorance.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:27 AM

6,930 posts, read 3,503,456 times
If you're close enough to the dog, an electronic bark control device can help.
Any loud noise, like a bark, causes the device to emit an ultrasonic squeal that hurts dogs' ears. Some dogs figure it out very quickly, others don't.

Ideally, the dog owner gets one, but some are effective up to 100 feet.

I just wish the device hurt the owner's ears, instead of the dog.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:45 AM

1,564 posts, read 976,280 times
We had a German Pinscher we could not leave alone in the yard due to nonstop barking.
Before returning him to the breeder we tried a shock collar. I tried it first on my own bare arm at a setting of 3 and it hurt but was not that painful.
Ten minutes later the barking problem was over and we never had to use it again. Once in a while I had to grab the collar and show it - that alone was enough.

When we moved to Paradise we got a 3 year old Airedale. He was barking, not nearly as bad as the GP, but it bothered me.
It took a week to train him out of it. He still barks when someone at the door, or when he wants to be petted.

It can be done, different dogs require a different approach, but there is no excuse for excessive barking, and this comes from a dog lover.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:21 PM

134 posts, read 235,302 times
I used a bark collar on my Fox Terrier. He barked once, got shocked, let out a little yip and never barked again while wearing the collar. I removed the batteries and only put it on him when he was being left alone. Worked great. I did test on my own neck, there were five levels of strength and increased after every subsequent bark. Uncomfortable but, not dangerous.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:29 AM

39 posts, read 41,693 times
I use a electronic high pitched devices on the neighbor's untrained Pomeranian jerk and it more trains the neighbor's to take the jerk in the house, so if they want to make noise I'm going to make noise, works like a charm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasonic-.../dp/B0157D7CXW

Old 06-06-2019, 03:46 PM

298 posts, read 234,133 times
Thank you to the considerate pet owners that take the time to train the dogs not to bark with the collars. We have a dog next door to us and it is a non stop barker. It is a little dog with an extremely high pictched bark. The owners are home most of the time and they do nothing about the barking, I don't know how they stand it as it must echo from under their patio cover. Maybe they wear ear plugs or turn up the TV I don't know. I have so wanted to knock on their door and ask them to control their dog but I don't want to start a feud with them. We can't go out onto our deck because the dog sees us and barks like crazy. One day we stayed on the deck over 30 minutes just to see how long the dog would bark and it was continual barking. Luckily they bring the dog in around 9:00 p.m. at night but they put the dog out early in the morning and the barking starts up again. I haven't tried the high pitched device, does anyone know if this will hurt a cats ears? I have an adorable little cat that stays inside all the time but I don't want it to hurt her ears if I purchase the device.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:59 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,313,709 times
This may have been discussed on this thread already, but I'm not in favor of dogs in apartment or condo complexes. There's just not enough space and the barking can be heard in adjacent units. Very unpleasant. My current condo complex is considering allowing dogs and several of us are against it. Also there is the outside mess and some dogs don't make it to the outdoor area and end up peeing in elevators or in common areas. Dogs in houses and yards have issues, definitely, but in smaller spaces it can be even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson