U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 11:49 AM

42,835 posts, read 83,387,803 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know where you're supposed to complain of barking dogs?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 11:53 AM

Oh, I just found this:

Jim, I’m in Tucson, Arizona, and, yes, I have tried to get relief through our local animal complaint resolution system. And I got none whatsoever.

Here’s what we Tucsonans have to go through if there’s a problem with a barking dog:

The first step you are to take is to make a complaint to Pima County Animal Care, which then sends you and the dog owner a letter.

This letter includes suggestions that the dog owner can implement to quell the barking. The letter also advises you, the complainant, to give the owner 7-10 days to work things out, and, if that doesn’t work, you can go to mediation.

Then, if mediation fails, you can contact Animal Care for an official barking log, which they can use to cite the owner of the dog. Which means that, in the meantime, you’ve had to put up with a lot of nuisance barking.

My comments on the above system:

Letters: If the writing of letters to encourage people to get control of their barking dogs works so well, then why do so many parts of this city sound like a kennel? And offering suggestions to irresponsible dog owners is useless. Enforcement with penalties is what’s really needed.

Mediation: Personally, I think that mediation is a waste of time, because it is between a law-breaker and a victim. Mediation assumes some kind of reasonableness on either side. Might as well mediate with a burglar. The problem is that the authorities keep viewing dog barking abuse as “a neighborhood dispute”, which it is not. It is one person assaulting another.

Barking logs and citations: By the time things get to this point, you, the complainant, have already had to put up with a lot of barking. And there’s nothing that guarantees that an irresponsible dog owner, and Tucson has far too many of those, will be deterred by a citation and a fine.

I would like to conclude by saying that I have no problem with well-behaved dogs. They are a joy to their owners, and to everyone else around them. A dog that behaves well is one that the owner went to the time and trouble to train. On the other hand, dogs that are incessant barkers are nuisances that deprive the rest of us of our peace of mind and the enjoyment of our property.

“No Pet” Policies Aren’t Always Etched In Stone | Housing Doom

Did anybody have any luck following the "procedures" ...?

Old 10-31-2008, 12:09 PM

9,526 posts, read 28,969,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Does anybody know where you're supposed to complain of barking dogs?
Definitely, A TOUGHIE, Sierra!

I keep a big box of Milk-Bones in my pantry when the barking dogs down the street start to get on my nerves. Not a permanent fix but a little chit chat and a couple of bones quiets them for the time being.

! ! ! !

Old 10-31-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Definitely, A TOUGHIE, Sierra!

I keep a big box of Milk-Bones in my pantry when the barking dogs down the street start to get on my nerves. Not a permanent fix but a little chit chat and a couple of bones quiets them for the time being.

! ! ! !
Oh, believe me, Bummer, I've plenty of better ideas of my own, but that's the US - the land of the dogs!

It's disgusting! If you wanna have a damn dog, take care of it and take it for walks as you should! This dog is periodically chained out on the patio throughout the day. Seems like somebody lazy is home all day and that's how the dog is "taken care of"! What else is there to do on a small patio other than bark... I'd bark, too! It's cruel to everybody, dog included.

I took a couple of days off in order to rest. Instead, I'm tired and pissed. Was hoping to get enough sleep in order to enjoy Halloween, but courtesy of these idiots have a headache instead and sore shoulders from attempting to sleep on the floor of the only room not exposed to that side. There's always one bad apple terrorizing everybody! At first I was happy with good neighbors and figured as soon as construction work ends it'll be peaceful. Well, as soon as the next row of houses was finished, those "pet lovers" moved in...

Old 10-31-2008, 01:21 PM

9,526 posts, read 28,969,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, believe me, Bummer, I've plenty of better ideas of my own, but that's the US - the land of the dogs!

It's disgusting! If you wanna have a damn dog, take care of it and take it for walks as you should! This dog is periodically chained out on the patio throughout the day. Seems like somebody lazy is home all day and that's how the dog is "taken care of"! What else is there to do on a small patio other than bark... I'd bark, too! It's cruel to everybody, dog included.
No expert here, Sierra . . . however, I believe there are either Tucson or Pima County laws against "chaining" an unsupervised animal. Possibly you need to start with The Mayor's Office or your local County Supervisor.

In my case, the two dogs are just lonely. They are very outgoing and friendly dogs merely barking for attention because they are locked up on a fairly small patio from about sunrise until very late afternoon. I take 'em bones because I feel sorry for them and know it isn't their fault.

Luckily, unlike you, I am far enough away that I don't hear them except while outside.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
No expert here, Sierra . . . however, I believe there are either Tucson or Pima County laws against "chaining" an unsupervised animal. Possibly you need to start with The Mayor's Office or your local County Supervisor.

In my case, the two dogs are just lonely. They are very outgoing and friendly dogs merely barking for attention because they are locked up on a fairly small patio from about sunrise until very late afternoon. I take 'em bones because I feel sorry for them and know it isn't their fault.

Luckily, unlike you, I am far enough away that I don't hear them except while outside.
Well, I haven't noticed if it's chained or not, but being alone of a tiny patio is as good as being chained... I understand it's not really the dog's fault. It's the irresponsible owners' fault. I have closer neighbors who have a dog, but I haven't heard theirs barking once! Actually, the only reason I know they have a dog is because I saw it when we were all moving in.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:46 PM

4,923 posts, read 7,814,472 times
I'm surprised Pima County doesn't have an animal control division that takes care of stray animals, loud or barking animals, wild animals, etc. We have two Yorkies who bark at everything, but they're indoor dogs. If they see a leaf fall, they bark. Actually they bark at everything that moves, but that's their nature. Yorkies are barkers. We use the sign language command for quiet for them and it works every time, as we used it since the first time they barked inappropriately. If the burglar is coming through the front door, I WANT them to bark! Otherwise, I'd think there'd be an animal control department for the county. JMHO

Old 10-31-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I'm surprised Pima County doesn't have an animal control division that takes care of stray animals, loud or barking animals, wild animals, etc.
I'm sure there is. That's why I'm asking. Not that I really feel like going through God knows what red tape...

IMO dogs belong inside in high-density area.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:18 PM

4,923 posts, read 7,814,472 times
In my Colorado county, we have animal control. We just call the number, (it's listed in the phone book) and within an hour or so (it's a big, rural county with one animal control officer), she'll respond. If it's a loose stray, we put it on a leash and she takes it to the shelter. If it's a matter of barking dogs, and we know who's dogs they are, she contacts them and issues them a citation. We have a pretty efficient animal control department even though we only have one officer. For things like bobcats, or other wild animals, we have the Division of Wildlife who are fabulous in their response. We often have bears in trees or other wildlife where they shouldn't be, and the response is almost immediate.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:45 AM

31 posts, read 103,247 times
It is not illegal to have a dog that barks. It is illegal to let a dog bark excessively. Trouble is, "excessive" is not well defined and is subjective.

Some people's dogs bark all day. Some people can't tolerate a single bark. Between these extremes is where peace can be found.

Don't just assume that your neighbor is a jerk who will not be reasonable. I went to mediation over my dogs, and it helped. I am not like a "burglar" and I was not "assaulting" anyone. In fact, before we went to the mediation, I felt as violated as my neighbors did because of actions on their part. To me, they were the "law-breakers" and I was the "victim."

I could not promise my dogs would never bark (what my neighbors wanted). But I did agree to make sure they aren't barking all day, which I did not realize they were doing because I wasn't home. (The dogs were not locked outside. I have a dog door, so they were going in and out as desired.) And I had absolutely no intention of making my neighbors' their lives miserable.

Mediation is a good tool and solves the majority of disputes over barking, according to the mediation service the county uses. My mediation session was very intense. There was a lot of anger and frustration on both sides. But the process forces people to listen and be reasonable, and the parties usually make an agreement everyone can live with.

I suggest you try it. If the objective is to not have to listen to dogs barking, there's a decent chance you'll achieve that.

I know it has worked so far for my neighbors and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson