Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:01 PM

20 posts, read 47,875 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what the open range signs are about? It's just a picture of a cow on a yellow road sign, and occasionally have 'open range' underneath it. Clearly there aren't any farms in the area of the signs, so what are they about?

Thanks

Erin, new to AZ (2 weeks!)

Old 11-01-2008, 04:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinszoo View Post
Can someone tell me what the open range signs are about? It's just a picture of a cow on a yellow road sign, and occasionally have 'open range' underneath it. Clearly there aren't any farms in the area of the signs, so what are they about?

Thanks

Erin, new to AZ (2 weeks!)
Well, they just notify you that you may get up close and personal with a cow - like a cow crossing the road. I'm yet to have this happen to me, but I'm sure it can happen. You're more likely to see coyotes, bunnies, quail, occasionally snakes, etc. crossing the roads.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:12 PM

42 posts, read 178,292 times
These signs mean you are driving through an "open" range. If you look on the sides of the road you are likely to see a cow grazing. You also may notice the cattle grates on the roads. These keep the cows in a certain area. They can't cross over them. If you head out to Sahuarita you will see these all over the place....even on the exits off of I-19.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Mom of three View Post
These signs mean you are driving through an "open" range. If you look on the sides of the road you are likely to see a cow grazing. You also may notice the cattle grates on the roads. These keep the cows in a certain area. They can't cross over them. If you head out to Sahuarita you will see these all over the place....even on the exits off of I-19.
Well, if they can't ever cross the road, what's the point of the signs?

Old 11-01-2008, 09:18 PM

20 posts, read 47,875 times
I saw them down by Civano, and it seemed like desert along valencia - lots of brush, cactus, trees, etc... and a fence. It was strange to see the signs in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for the info though, we did see coyotes the other night up by Sabino Canyon! And we saw lots on our way up to Mt. Lemmon last weekend.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:44 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinszoo View Post
I saw them down by Civano, and it seemed like desert along valencia - lots of brush, cactus, trees, etc... and a fence. It was strange to see the signs in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for the info though, we did see coyotes the other night up by Sabino Canyon! And we saw lots on our way up to Mt. Lemmon last weekend.
State trust lands can be leased for cattle grazing. You may find cattle miles away from their "home". The state lands are fenced in and usually contain the cattle within the boundaries. Although, they do escape once in a while through broken fences and hence you may find your car having a staring contest with a bull in the middle of the road.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:34 PM

42 posts, read 178,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
They can cross the road, but where the range ends the cows can't cross at that point. Make sense? If you look on the sides of the road by the grates you will see fencing. It's like the roads are part of the Open Range.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Mom of three View Post
They can cross the road, but where the range ends the cows can't cross at that point. Make sense? If you look on the sides of the road by the grates you will see fencing. It's like the roads are part of the Open Range.
I guess... Anyway, I'm yet to see a cow on any road, so I won't worry about that.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:38 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Some cows cannot read the signs, Sierra!

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 11-02-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Some cows cannot read the signs, Sierra!

! ! ! ! ! !
Let's enroll 'em in literacy classes then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson