Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 08:02 PM

190 posts, read 617,826 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to comment on the DMV experience today. We went got our licenses changed (I know after all this time here already.....) and our vehicles registered in Arizona.

We did not know what to expect, I researched the DMV website (as difficult as it was to find the website, I kept getting redirected to a car dealer's website.....very frustrating), here in the forums, and on the web in general. I found so much being said about how expensive the fees and VLT are. Our previous experience with DMVs in Massachusetts and New Hampshire had us expecting a very long and expensive visit.

We were very pleased to have a fairly pleasant experience. The people were friendly, the place was organized, and the fees were actually less than what we would have paid in NH. I thought they were efficient, helpful (as we did many questions), and friendly.

So, we are officially Arizona Residents....no going back now....lol.

Another interesting thing we noticed, our licenses are good until 2034? WOW, in NH it is 4 to 5 years. No profiteering here...

Kudos to the Arizona DMV for getting this right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
CONGRATS, Mike . . . and I could not agree more.

When I relocated to Tucson back in the late 90's, I was amazed at how Arizona's MVD was so far superior to California's DMV in efficiency, organization and friendliness.

Another positive, now that you're a local you'll be able to complete most all future MVD transactions online.

Here's the link . . . Motor Vehicle Division

Old 10-20-2011, 11:44 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
We got our AZ licenses in 2010. My son was 21 at the time and his license doesn't expire until he's 65. I wondered what they'll do about the picture? He won't look 21 for that long...

Old 10-21-2011, 04:51 AM

444 posts, read 1,351,416 times
You do have to pay $10 for a new license when you move. But, I guess if you never move...

The Arizona MVD does actually do a really good job in comparison to other states, or at least the ones that I've dealt with. They're all very courteous and very efficient, and the unnecessary bureaucracy you get in other states seems minimized.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:22 AM

136 posts, read 261,403 times
I changed my Mn. license in for an AZ license a couple of months ago and found it a very easy, fast and pleasant experience. Was happy to receive my license immediately instead of through the mail, but was sort of shocked that an eye exam wasn't part of the process. I heard a gentleman taking an eye exam using a machine, and he kept complaining that the machine must be broken, because he apparently had no peripheral vision. He received his license just before I got mine. I sort of wished I knew where he was parked before I left. lol

Old 10-21-2011, 12:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
you all should have used the DMV back in the 70s and early 80s. back then it was a nightmare with long lines and equally long wait times to get anything done. for instance just to transfer title and register a car you had a wait time of nearly 1.5 hours. today it is a breeze as the longest wait time i have had recently was 15 minutes.

and getting a drivers license back then was also horrible. again long lines for everything from getting the test, to waiting for it to be graded, to getting the eye exam, to getting your picture taken, and then waiting six weeks to get your real license.

yes todays DMV experience is a breeze.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 PM

351 posts, read 974,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Just wanted to comment on the DMV experience today. We went got our licenses changed (I know after all this time here already.....) and our vehicles registered in Arizona.

We did not know what to expect, I researched the DMV website (as difficult as it was to find the website, I kept getting redirected to a car dealer's website.....very frustrating), here in the forums, and on the web in general. I found so much being said about how expensive the fees and VLT are. Our previous experience with DMVs in Massachusetts and New Hampshire had us expecting a very long and expensive visit.

We were very pleased to have a fairly pleasant experience. The people were friendly, the place was organized, and the fees were actually less than what we would have paid in NH. I thought they were efficient, helpful (as we did many questions), and friendly.

So, we are officially Arizona Residents....no going back now....lol.

Another interesting thing we noticed, our licenses are good until 2034? WOW, in NH it is 4 to 5 years. No profiteering here...

Kudos to the Arizona DMV for getting this right...
Yea, DMV really isn't that bad here. I've had much worse experiences in Texas. Got my AZ DL way back in 1997 and aside from some address changes, still have the same 15 year old picture. Got some mail a while back saying I needed to retake the picture since it was so dated, but haven't done that yet... Guess the grey hair needs to be in the photo now before I become unrecognizeable.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:47 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
For me, AZ has been fabulous!! My only other experience has been in CO. When my son went for his first license at 16 (6 years ago), we had to call to make an appt for the driving part of the test (which is separate from the written which he took through Driver's Ed). Our closest DMV was in Colorado Springs, but their next appt time was three months out. We called all over the state (there are only about 8 DMV's in the state) and the soonest he could get was three weeks out and in Boulder 100+ miles north of us. Colorado's DMV is AWFUL. For all renewals, it's online (plates by mail as you need a sticker). New plates, and it's a 4-5 hour line at the same DMV as the licenses, if it's a fast day...bring a book, lunch, and if you need to leave the line, mark your place or you'll have to start all over again.

Last edited by Marcy1210; 10-21-2011 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: