U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 04:14 PM

13 posts, read 47,232 times

Advertisements

My family and I are going to be moving to Tucson pretty soon (around March of '09). I have a 10 month old daughter as well as a dog and I'm a little concerned about the wildlife.

From the things I've been reading, it seems like scorpions and venomous spiders often find their way into homes and rattlesnakes often find their way into yards. I've never lived in or near a desert so I'm very new to all of that.

I also read about the cougars, but I'm originally from Oregon where you'd often hear news stories about cougars or black bears finding their way into people's backyards.

I'm mostly concerned about the snakes, scorpions, and spiders. I also hear there's Gila Monsters?

If someone who's been to/lives in/lived in/etc Tucson could fill me in about this (personal experiences, etc) I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 04:52 PM

529 posts, read 2,298,709 times
It really depends on where you live IMO. I've been here over ten years and I've only seen one rattlesnake, out when I had family who lived out in the boonies in Marana. Have seen several scorpions and spiders, but they aren't crawling out of every single corner. Chances are if you live in town or in an established subdivision you won't have issues; that being said, some areas do have higher critter activity than others.

What part of town are you looking to move to?

Also, there are numerous snake avoidance classes for dogs so be sure to check that out.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:01 PM

13 posts, read 47,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
What part of town are you looking to move to?
We're not entirely certain. We'll be looking to live within a tolerable drive (about 20 minutes max.) from Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:02 PM

4,805 posts, read 7,270,582 times
If you get a cat it will protect you and your dog:

YouTube - Cat Vs. Scorpion

Old 11-25-2008, 05:06 PM

9,556 posts, read 30,138,007 times
I agree with Michael, adesignforlife.

After a little over ten years since relocating here, ONE snake, NO evil spiders and NO Scorpions. However, early on many Summer mornings, I do have one huge Gila Monster snoozing on my patio wall which I believe may have been someone's pet. He, along with many other little lizards, seem to enjoy a Bug Picnic on my patio every evening which I consider a good thing.

On the positive side . . . very few mosquitos and other flying critters.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:07 AM

683 posts, read 2,557,670 times
We've had a bunch of Black Widows in our garage since we moved out of the city. My wife screams and I squish them. No problem.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:18 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,141,107 times
Really, the bugs and snakes and gila monsters aren't a problem in most cases. Bobcats live in the mountains and follow the deer. If you're really afraid, there are companies like Truly Nolen and others that will be glad to spray and take care of your critters. But generally, an errant rattler in the garage near hibernation time is a call to the DOW. Scorpions are pretty harmless unless they're bark scorpions. We carried a scorpion from AZ to CO in our wheel well, and the scorpion managed to find it's way into our kitchen in CO when it got too cold in the garage. We smushed it and that was it. Those critters aren't an issue.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:34 AM

683 posts, read 2,557,670 times
There's also lots of lizards. Thousands of lizards, they're everywhere. Many different kinds and they're all harmless, except for the Gila Monster. Lizards come out when it gets hot and they eat lots of insects. You'll also see them doing what looks like push-ups.

Last edited by BillyBaroo; 11-26-2008 at 11:48 AM..

Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,373,728 times
I've been in Tucson my whole life. I have spent much time out in the desert in the surrounding areas. I've never seen a live scorpion (in the wild - I don't count the stuff you see in the pet stores.) I've seen one gila monster (not that they are really that dangerous - just dont get close to them and they wont do anything - rather slow animals.)

Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,141,107 times
We almost had Coyote and Quail Stew tonight for dinner. A couple of coyotes ran in front of my car on Rancho Vistoso Rd, and there were quail everywhere. Other than that, I haven't seen a bobcat here. Had one sleeping in my front yard in the middle of suburbia in Colorado Springs, and all the news outlets were out there with their satellite trucks. For a stupid Bobcat? Saw one scorpion walking along Rillito in June, saw one rattlesnake, again in my front yard in Colorado Springs, but none here. So, for wildlife, move to Colorado Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson