Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 01:14 PM

399 posts, read 554,244 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am asking regarding the weather conditions all the way at the top. I called the Mt. Lemmon hotline, and they said "The Mountain is white, but its not up for skiing"

I would like to do sledding at first, would it be decent enough to go sledding at the moment? People who went there this past weekend who was it?
If not, when does Snow accumalate in large amounts at the top of the mountain, in December usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 01:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post
If not, when does Snow accumalate in large amounts at the top of the mountain, in December usually.
You'd know when there's enough snow very easily - the road up will be promptly closed!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,364 times
Snow up on Mt. Lemmon hardly sticks around 2 days after a storm, unless the snow is under a shady tree where the shade is colder than the sun. We are in a harsh drought right now in Southern Arizona. If you are an avid skier, then Snowbowl in Northern Arizona is a good spot, but it is not open to the public yet. I heard December 3 it might open.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 PM

164 posts, read 516,675 times
Question Road to Mt Lemmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You'd know when there's enough snow very easily - the road up will be promptly closed!
-Is there only one way in and out of Mt Lemmon (Summerville?)
-How heavy is the traffic on the road to Mt Lemmon?
-How often does the road get closed?
-How crowded does it get up there in tourist season?
-Would it be impractical to start a business on Mt Lemmon that wasn't tourist/snow related? (Like light manufacturing). (I'm thinking this one is a definite yes, its impractical.)

My father lives in Tucson and is getting on in years. My husband and I would like to move closer to him but we HATE the summer heat in Tucson. Heck, its even too hot for us here near the California coast (above 90 degrees).

My father wants us to move to Mt Lemmon, the weather looks okay in the summer, but I'm worried about the road.

I get nervous driving on twisty-turny mountain roads when there is heavy traffic. Also, doesn't seem like a good place to start a business. We also don't like big crowds (invasion of city people).

I'm thinking maybe Flagstaff area would be more practical for our needs. Closer/faster to Tucson than where we are now, but weather much cooler than Tucson. More routes in and out. Any other choices? We are willing to put up with SOME hot weather in order to be closer, just not sweltering heat.

Thanks for your help.
I mentioned I was looking into Mt Lemmon or Flagstaff to my dad last month and now all I hear is how perfect Mt Lemmon is for us. I suspect my dad just wants his only daughter close.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful-Thang View Post
-Is there only one way in and out of Mt Lemmon (Summerville?)
-How heavy is the traffic on the road to Mt Lemmon?
-How often does the road get closed?
-How crowded does it get up there in tourist season?
-Would it be impractical to start a business on Mt Lemmon that wasn't tourist/snow related? (Like light manufacturing). (I'm thinking this one is a definite yes, its impractical.)

My father lives in Tucson and is getting on in years. My husband and I would like to move closer to him but we HATE the summer heat in Tucson. Heck, its even too hot for us here near the California coast (above 90 degrees).

My father wants us to move to Mt Lemmon, the weather looks okay in the summer, but I'm worried about the road.

I get nervous driving on twisty-turny mountain roads when there is heavy traffic. Also, doesn't seem like a good place to start a business. We also don't like big crowds (invasion of city people).

I'm thinking maybe Flagstaff area would be more practical for our needs. Closer/faster to Tucson than where we are now, but weather much cooler than Tucson. More routes in and out. Any other choices? We are willing to put up with SOME hot weather in order to be closer, just not sweltering heat.

Thanks for your help.
I mentioned I was looking into Mt Lemmon or Flagstaff to my dad last month and now all I hear is how perfect Mt Lemmon is for us. I suspect my dad just wants his only daughter close.

there is only one paved road up to Summerhaven (not Summerville)....it is a safe two-lane road, recently widened, but is twisty-turny, so you may not like it...it is closed after heavy winter storms up to a couple days, but pressure exists to get it open again....chains or 4WD required at times in the winter....

probably not a good place for light manufacturing...it's just too fickle up there for employment, transport, utilities....zoning may not even allow it...Summerhaven is more of a summer weekend place for Tucsonans, second-home getaway, sporadic skiing in the winter....most of the land up there is public (National Forest)....the "town" is VERY quiet after the tourists go back down the mountain....one small general store, a couple casual restaurants, a PO, not much for non-tourists except quiet and cool weather......

if Tucson is too hot for you (sounds like it), Summerhaven is an option, but it is very small and quiet....not really a "town" at all...just cabins, some small tourist stuff.....expensive to buy there, too.....limited (no??) opportunities for year-round residents unless you have inherited your trust fund or commute to Tucson every day (that would get old fast)

sounds like you want to be close to Tucson, but in a cooler area....Flagstaff is more than four hours away....Nogales may work for you and a light manf. biz, but has its own challenges and may not visually appeal to you....maybe 10 degrees cooler than Tucson.....

Old 05-11-2009, 09:20 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
S-N-O-W... Snow? What's THAT?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:24 AM

514 posts, read 1,440,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
S-N-O-W... Snow? What's THAT?
You know,that stuff that flakes from your hair

Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
You know,that stuff that flakes from your hair
Oh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson