Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:26 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,003,416 times

Advertisements

I caught a blurb on the news last night that they're looking for volunteers to help with the show for a house makeover in Tucson. I've gone to the website, but the only link is an email link... no info.

Has anyone else heard about this? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 06:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,920,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
I caught a blurb on the news last night that they're looking for volunteers to help with the show for a house makeover in Tucson. I've gone to the website, but the only link is an email link... no info.

Has anyone else heard about this? Just curious.
No, but my ears pricked up! The dream... my two left hands watch while those handy peeps turn my place into an oasis...

Which show exactly are you talking about, though? If it's the "extreme makeover" on Sunday we ain't gonna qualify...

Old 12-18-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No, but my ears pricked up! The dream... my two left hands watch while those handy peeps turn my place into an oasis...

Which show exactly are you talking about, though? If it's the "extreme makeover" on Sunday we ain't gonna qualify...
That's the one... with the really hyper guy and the "move that bus" chant. They said on KGUN-9 that they were looking for "skilled and unskilled" volunteers, and that you had 48 hours to sign up. I didn't catch when they were doing it or anything else.

I sent an email, but haven't gotten a response yet. I would love to volunteer on that... if nothing else, just to see the before and after in person.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
That's the one... with the really hyper guy and the "move that bus" chant. They said on KGUN-9 that they were looking for "skilled and unskilled" volunteers, and that you had 48 hours to sign up. I didn't catch when they were doing it or anything else.
Oh, I guess I got your post entirely wrong. I was hoping for a makeover of my home.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,531,059 times
If you get accepted, you'll work your butt off, not get paid, and look like you are great friends of the family. We particiapated in a Colo Spgs one and it was grueling with no recognition. You won't meet the stars (Ty Pennington, et. al.), you'll be drilled by the contractor who volunteers his time, and you'll be totally a background person who does the menial labor--they hire professionals for tile, carpet, and all the other remodelling work, even the demolition of the old house. It's a lot like Habitat for Humanity in that you do the work with little or no recognition. Personally, I'd rather do Habitat for Humanity. Most of the Extreme Home Makeover people end up selling their now million dollar houses and move down. They are mortgage free for the first year and all property taxes are paid by ABC. So, most of them sell, move out to more affordable housing and bank the money. Sorry to be such a downer, but that's the sad truth. The family we worked on in Ellicot, CO had a daughter who couldn't go outside and was allergic to everything. She was homeschooled and needed a climate controlled house. Her family had lost their original home, and were renting, when ABC came along and chose them. After their "free" year was up, they couldn't pay the mortgage or the property taxes and ended up moving back to a rental and selling the gorgeous, climate controlled, allergy free home that should have been their dream home. But, they couldn't afford it.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 AM

529 posts, read 2,384,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
If you get accepted, you'll work your butt off, not get paid, and look like you are great friends of the family. We particiapated in a Colo Spgs one and it was grueling with no recognition. You won't meet the stars (Ty Pennington, et. al.), you'll be drilled by the contractor who volunteers his time, and you'll be totally a background person who does the menial labor--they hire professionals for tile, carpet, and all the other remodelling work, even the demolition of the old house. It's a lot like Habitat for Humanity in that you do the work with little or no recognition. Personally, I'd rather do Habitat for Humanity. Most of the Extreme Home Makeover people end up selling their now million dollar houses and move down. They are mortgage free for the first year and all property taxes are paid by ABC. So, most of them sell, move out to more affordable housing and bank the money. Sorry to be such a downer, but that's the sad truth. The family we worked on in Ellicot, CO had a daughter who couldn't go outside and was allergic to everything. She was homeschooled and needed a climate controlled house. Her family had lost their original home, and were renting, when ABC came along and chose them. After their "free" year was up, they couldn't pay the mortgage or the property taxes and ended up moving back to a rental and selling the gorgeous, climate controlled, allergy free home that should have been their dream home. But, they couldn't afford it.
I think I saw that episode, they had the industrial air purification system installed? Red Cross I think?

Anyway it is sad when the house gets sold, or worse yet when the owners refi and then go into foreclosure (think I've seen three of those stories in the past year).

Old 12-19-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
After their "free" year was up, they couldn't pay the mortgage or the property taxes and ended up moving back to a rental and selling the gorgeous, climate controlled, allergy free home that should have been their dream home. But, they couldn't afford it.
Same deal with winning HGTV's dream houses. What are these people gonna do with them...? They can't afford even the taxes and maintenance. I remember reading a story about how one winner decided to try to live in the house. Predictably went broke.

IMO they shouldn't even accept them in some cases because the houses tend to be built in remote locations (mansions in the middle of nowhere) where you might not even be able to unload them.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM

It was just more out of curiosity than anything... I didn't think I'd be getting camera time (wouldn't want it anyway, actually) or some one-on-one with the cast. I was just kind of interested in seeing the process of a house being gutted/redone within such a short amount of time.

I have heard stories of people unable to deal with the mortgage/taxes afterwards... that's pretty sad. I know the woman who was on the show from Maryland who runs the therapeutic horseback riding program. I think her episode was on last year. Her property's been in her family for generations... I hope she can hang on to it.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:27 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,531,059 times
I would love to do Habitat for Humanity because the potential owners also work on the house. It's a community affair to build a home for a family that needs it, can afford it, and plans on living in it. I think Habitat is a wonderful experience, and the new owners are so incredibly grateful. And they help in the building which makes it more personal to them than the Extreme Makeover people who send the family to DisneyWorld or something while their house gets built with no input from them. Cynical, yes. But it's reality.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:18 PM

This house was finished.

Extreme Makeover Tucson - Welcome Home Bell Family | Tucson Real Estate | Tucson Homes

Heh, I'm not sure I want to live in a house built in a week...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson