U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:29 PM

16 posts, read 46,355 times

Advertisements

My family along with my mother are looking to relocate somewhere warmer and cheaper. We are interested in Bisbee - weather looks great. How is the area for children, especially children with special needs? I have two boys with autism. Also, whats up with the water - is it there for the long haul, how about wells? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 PM

216 posts, read 689,445 times
Bisbee does get cold! Overall I couldn't recommend Bisbee as a nice place to live for kids, I'd go with Sierra Vista instead. I think that you would need to travel there frequently for your kids needs, as well as shopping, etc. Not much in Bisbee. Have you visited? The population is mostly artsy folks/artists, hippie-types (no offense) & other alternative lifestyles. Don't get me wrong, I loved Bisbee for its "atmosphere" but by that I mean drinking, Halloween parties, etc. when I went to college nearby. It *might* be cheap to live there, sure; warm...I'm not so sure. Again, I'd strongly recommend SV to you instead. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,777 times
Bisbee sounds pleasant and quirky when you read about it online -- 'wild west history giving way to a budding artists' community' -- but in reality it is tiny, dysfunctional, derelict and filled with aging hippies who think smoking hash will cure their diabetes. It is an interesting place to visit, but not somewhere you would want to spend more than a weekend, much less somewhere you would want to live. Please, please don't move your kids to Bisbee! As gabygirl said, you'd be much better off moving to Sierra Vista instead. Bisbee has only one small elementary school, whereas Sierra Vista has at least four elementary schools and a number of private schools. Sierra Vista also has a better hospital, more doctors, more childcare services, more after-school programs -- Sierra Vista is where you want to live. Bisbee may be the county seat on paper, but Sierra Vista is the central hub of all the communities in Southern AZ.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM

42,835 posts, read 83,451,879 times
I enjoy going down to Bisbee once in a while, but I can't quite see raising children there, either...

Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 PM

9,527 posts, read 29,001,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl31 View Post
My family along with my mother are looking to relocate somewhere warmer and cheaper. We are interested in Bisbee - weather looks great. How is the area for children, especially children with special needs? I have two boys with autism. Also, whats up with the water - is it there for the long haul, how about wells? Thanks
I'm with the rest of the guys so far, NWGirl, especially Gabygirl.

Bisbee is a great place for adults to visit and play but definitely not as a full time residence and not for kids.

Also, due to altitude, the weather could be better.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,474,853 times
Bisbee sounds pleasant and quirky when you read about it online -- 'wild west history giving way to a budding artists' community' -- but in reality it is tiny, dysfunctional, derelict and filled with aging hippies who think smoking hash will cure their diabetes.
Dude!!! You mean it doesn't? Pass the donuts.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:49 AM

9,527 posts, read 29,001,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Bisbee sounds pleasant and quirky when you read about it online -- 'wild west history giving way to a budding artists' community' -- but in reality it is tiny, dysfunctional, derelict and filled with aging hippies who think smoking hash will cure their diabetes.
Dude!!! You mean it doesn't? Pass the donuts.
LMBO . . . obviously, YOU'VE BEEN THERE, Ira500!

Old 01-16-2009, 04:27 PM

LMBO . . . obviously, YOU'VE BEEN THERE, Ira500!

I was in Bisbee about three weeks ago and liked it a lot. One of the quirkiest towns I've been in...But , if there were donuts in Bisbee, they'd be hand forged organic artisan donuts.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:05 PM

4,310 posts, read 10,212,947 times
I spent part of a day there on new years eve and posted on CD about it so you can do a search for that post but anyhow, I was approached by so many vagrants and druggies in such a short period of time that it turned me right off (and I'm originally from a big city of millions). I was hoping I'd like it (and I'm single) as a place to live but nope, not for me!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:08 PM

Maybe it was the New Years thing. I was in Bisbee for a few days right before Christmas and didn't see any vagrants or beggars....Maybe they thought I was one of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson