U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 AM

12 posts, read 53,718 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Sorry, i am not a local. That's why I'm not sure what's the procedure to sell the car as a private seller.

Please enlighten me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:27 PM

17 posts, read 37,168 times
I'm not sure what you want to know, if you need to know how to market the car to sell it or how to actually go about changing ownership. If the latter is the case, most times you just need to sign the title over to the person who buys the car and then hand it to them. You will probably want to take down their information and make sure that you DON'T take a personal check, as the person can bounce the check to you and then get the car for free if you have signed the title into their name.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:36 PM

117 posts, read 266,679 times
Yeah, thats pretty much it as long as you have the title to the car and there is no lean on it.

* Just sign the back of the title and hand it over. Remember to take your plates with you.

* Whoever buys it from you will take that title down to the DMV, fill out a few forms, pay for a plate and registration and its over.

As for actually selling/advertising... put it on Craigslist(craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums), the newspaper or park it where it will be seen. Some places dont allow it on private property so make sure you are legal or your car may be towed.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 PM

where to sign over the title?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 PM

4,923 posts, read 7,861,350 times
You can sign over the title anywhere; a restaurant, your kitchen table, the County Clerk's office, or a Notary Public (available at banks, title offices (for real estate) or wherever. I would sign it over in front of a Notary Public, just to be safe.

Just make sure you get cash, a money order or some other form of legal payment. DO NOT TAKE A PERSONAL CHECK. People bounce (write phony checks) all the time.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:54 AM

Sorry, What i meant was which part do i sign? Behind my title cert? Sign without infront of anyone?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:11 AM

722 posts, read 1,433,316 times
All states have different rules/laws about their paperwork. The titles I've seen have the info. on the back where you sign. And there should be instructions on the back. If in doubt, call your state's motor vehicle dept.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:57 AM

ok..thanks

Old 01-10-2009, 03:50 AM

2,176 posts, read 8,680,151 times
On the back of the title there should be a section that says "Seller" or "Transferor"
Fill that part out and and have the person that is buying to fill out the section that says "Buyer" or Transferee"
In my state a title has to be notarized. The best way is to go together to the DMV or a notary public and do the transfer. That way if you have any questions they can can be answered by someone who knows. The buyer will have go to DMV to get the title made into his or her name anyway.

DO NOT DO THIS UNTILL YOU HAVE CASH IN HAND OR A CLEARED BANK DRAFT OR MONEY ORDER. DO NOT ACCEPT PERSONAL CHECKS.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 PM

117 posts, read 266,679 times
yes, on the back of the title under seller... most places require it to be notarized. You can go to whatever bank you have an account at and they will do it for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson