U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 10:04 PM

8 posts, read 38,296 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Tuscon from a small town in Wyoming. I have been a professional musician for the past 14 years, save the last year of living in WY. The bands I have been in have ALL been original Heavy Metal bands. I have only played in one cover band, and that was out of necessity. Basically, what I would like to know is: Where can I find the Metal bands and clubs / bars? Also, are there any Metal musicians on here looking for a dedicated guitarist with scads of stage / studio experience? I am making a trip to Tuscon in May to nail everything down in the way of a job and living space. The move date is set for June. One final question: We are a low income family, surviving on one paycheck. I'm curious to know if there are any "lower quality" apartments available for under $500 per month. I have found several mid range two bedrooms in nice complexes for just under $550, which is affordable for us, but we would definitely like to keep it under the $500 mark. Any info in any of these areas would help dramatically, and I thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 04:29 AM

32 posts, read 149,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaGuy36 View Post
My wife and I are moving to Tuscon from a small town in Wyoming. I have been a professional musician for the past 14 years, save the last year of living in WY. The bands I have been in have ALL been original Heavy Metal bands. I have only played in one cover band, and that was out of necessity. Basically, what I would like to know is: Where can I find the Metal bands and clubs / bars? Also, are there any Metal musicians on here looking for a dedicated guitarist with scads of stage / studio experience? I am making a trip to Tuscon in May to nail everything down in the way of a job and living space. The move date is set for June. One final question: We are a low income family, surviving on one paycheck. I'm curious to know if there are any "lower quality" apartments available for under $500 per month. I have found several mid range two bedrooms in nice complexes for just under $550, which is affordable for us, but we would definitely like to keep it under the $500 mark. Any info in any of these areas would help dramatically, and I thank you in advance.
I have noticed many such apartments in several websites, especially in the south side of Tucson.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:51 AM

77 posts, read 616,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia_Italy View Post
I have noticed many such apartments in several websites, especially in the south side of Tucson.
I've lived 2yrs in Tucson (that was 5yrs ago ),and I can tell you for sure that the south is not where you wanna live .It's very dangerous gang infested ghetto area,there are no exceptions when it comes to the south .The whole south is BAAAAAD .

The North and North East are the best areas ,central has many good neighbourhoods and might end up being ur best choice ,and some bad ones too.The North West is too far ,unless you work there .Bear in mind that Tucson has no highway system inside the city ,so you want to live as close as possible from where you work .

Good Luck ,I wish I can tell you about the rent ,but I have left the city 5yrs ago .

Old 03-11-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Thank you...

...for the info! It helps quite a bit. Actually, Jenali, Not to be argumentative...But we have only lived in Wyoming for the past year. Before that, we lived in St. Louis, MO. Gang infested neighborhoods do not bother us one iota. 17 years there will pretty much de-sensitize anyone. LOL

As for the info on the music scene, I started digging a bit further into it, and have found many websites with scads of bands and clubs right up my alley (so to speak), and am starting to communicate and network with those people a bit already.

Thanks again!

Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 PM

686 posts, read 3,611,257 times
Default Hey there,

Hi, I am lower income as well, and let me tell you. You will be living in the ghetto. The gangs are real bad, crime is out of control, and the city seems to be getting dirtier every day. I have been here for almost 4 years, and have spent all of it in the central part of town. Not good. If you come here on your salary you make, it would be hard to find a nice spot that is safe.

The schools are not great. I graduate in May. A lot of drugs, and violence. There is virtually no public transporation. Walking in the summer can be a real bummer. I'm heading of to journalism school in 4 months, and I am happy to be leaving this town. If you still decide to come, let me know and I will be happy to answer more questions.

Daniel

Old 03-16-2007, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 10,050 times
Hey: Stay away from the south side, period. There are LOTS of places to live, it's the desert and it's really spread out. There is a very active music scene in Tucson, you shouldn't have any trouble finding places and bands, the Tucson Weekly has a musician's exchange, and there are always various postings on the bulletin boards at all of the half dozen music stores.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
If you still decide to come, let me know and I will be happy to answer more questions.

Daniel
We are definitely coming. And, I do have some questions, if you are still willing to help out. Would you be cool with corresponding via email? mysticismhatemail@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2007, 12:53 AM

14 posts, read 57,235 times
Stay away from the South Side. I know it has been said but it bears repeating so I said it again ...

The problem with crime here is that it is mostly property crime (to pay for drug habits) so in the really high crime areas, coming and going with a lot of guitar gear would be a bad idea if you wanted to keep it for long.

I live in Mid Town and me and my neighbors take turns patrolling the hood - and we carry fire arms and make sure everyone knows we are armed (Arizona is an open carry state - it is legal to carry if it is not conceled). It seems to keep the pigs at bay.

The rental house I live in was burglarized three years in a row, right around Christmas, until I moved in. I was not here more than two or three days before the first meth head knocked on my door begging for money. I hear gunfire on an almost nightly basis ... and this is not that bad of an area as the South Side.

The music scene here is better than it used to be though I would not call it great but then over 10 years in Austin Texas kind of skewed my perception a bit I'm afraid :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson