Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 13,917 times

Advertisements

Closed in late May 2006, 410.00 to assoc....no billing, notices, meetings or accounting since...today we get a letter saying we are in default for 1400.00...we know we owe 134.00 x 12....bbut what is the Hoa's exposure??

Mike
602-403-9467
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 11:52 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,554 times
Well, if you were aware of the charges you probably don't have much ground to stand on. Unfortunately for you the association seems to have dropped the ball in the billing department (as you mentioned), your bet best might be to try to work out a payment plan so its not such a painful blow financially. What did they say when you talked to them?

Old 06-26-2007, 02:49 PM

18 posts, read 174,651 times
They usually bill to the address on your HUD statement. It is important to make sure that is correct when you go to closing.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:49 PM

update, on last post. Now we have been trying to negotiate and then heard nothing from the HOA. Recently got a judgement and a fake announcement that they were going to turn off the water for maintenance in the condo. THey turned off our water, and we have tenants. They said we need to bring 1000 to turn on the water and we did. Then 2500 by the next week or they are turning it off again. In the mean time, the person who thinks? we don't know is the president of the HOA is screaming at one of our tenants because we had a plumber there to fix toliet, etc. She was scared and called the police. The plumber got between them because he felt the girl was in danger. We understand we owe the money, and we agreed to pay, but not 100% over the original fees. We asked for any accounting of the fees and were denied. So we hired a lawyer to talk to their lawyer, to negotiate a deal and they refuse. Is it legal to turn off the water to a unit that has tenants in it? (the police says no) and can the HOA/lawyer not negotiate. They have never had any meeting s as far as we knowAnd never sent us anything until recently. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! I thought this was America not Russia.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:36 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
Well, if you were aware of the charges you probably don't have much ground to stand on. Unfortunately for you the association seems to have dropped the ball in the billing department (as you mentioned), your bet best might be to try to work out a payment plan so its not such a painful blow financially. What did they say when you talked to them?
Just out of curiosity, Michael . . . is an HOA required to send bills or statements?

In my case, my HOA dues are based on an annual fee with 12 monthly payments allowed but not required. I only receive an annual statement showing payments made and whatever balance is due.

Bottom line, I believe there is no legal requirement for the HOA to either bill or send statements as the fees are clearly defined at closing.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:31 PM

I don't know, never defined

Old 12-27-2008, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,302 times
I live at Circle Tree Condominiums at 461 W. Holmes Ave Mesa, AZ. This may sound funny but all of us love our HOA. Most of us are glad we live in a community where there are Rules that prevent our property value from declining due to slum lords and owners neglecting their property. This HOA has a Rules, Grievance and Security Committee made up of residence that police the area and cite home owners with a kind warning at first. Its nice to know that the neighbors are watching along with the HOA. Community involvement like this where owners and renters work side by side with the HOA makes for a great community. These guys are sharp don’t fight with the owners enlist them to work with and for you.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:10 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debra hamila View Post
I don't know, never defined
That seems weird. I know when we settled on our house here and our last house in Maryland, both were very specific about the HOA dues/fees, what services were covered by the HOA and when payments were to be made - in both cases they are billed -and paid- quarterly.

With both HOA's we received the bylaws that are pretty lengthy and detailed. I'm sure if you've received something like that, their accounting practices should be listed. I'm not sure if they're acting legally, but it seems they're acting unethically - for whatever that's worth.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:52 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle Tree Condominium View Post
I live at Circle Tree Condominiums at 461 W. Holmes Ave Mesa, AZ. This may sound funny but all of us love our HOA. Most of us are glad we live in a community where there are Rules that prevent our property value from declining due to slum lords and owners neglecting their property. This HOA has a Rules, Grievance and Security Committee made up of residence that police the area and cite home owners with a kind warning at first. Its nice to know that the neighbors are watching along with the HOA. Community involvement like this where owners and renters work side by side with the HOA makes for a great community. These guys are sharp don’t fight with the owners enlist them to work with and for you.
That's the way these HOA's SHOULD work! For example, many 55-and-glad-to-be-ALIVE communities have always worked smoothly because of the overall community involvement.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:57 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
That's the way these HOA's SHOULD work! For example, many 55-and-glad-to-be-ALIVE communities have always worked smoothly because of the overall community involvement.
Great point, Zony.

If more homeowners would only consider and treat the HOA as a friend instead of an enemy . . .

Since buying here over ten years ago, I have tried to attend as many meetings as possible and I can honestly say I have benefitted tremendously.

Bottom line . . . QUIT BITCHING AND GET INVOLVED. The meetings rarely require more than a couple of hours each month and the rewards are endless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson