U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 PM

83 posts, read 190,504 times

Advertisements

Later this year my husband and I will be moving to Oro Valley. As I was looking at your Tucson Star newspaper, I was appalled to see all the crime that had taken place in just one 24hr period! Is it safe to even be out during the daytime or night in Tucson? Or, should I just stay in OV? Is there safe days, times and places to be out? Thank you for your help and I hope the answers are what I want to hear!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:42 PM

42,835 posts, read 83,505,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleWind View Post
Later this year my husband and I will be moving to Oro Valley. As I was looking at your Tucson Star newspaper, I was appalled to see all the crime that had taken place in just one 24hr period! Is it safe to even be out during the daytime or night in Tucson? Or, should I just stay in OV? Is there safe days, times and places to be out? Thank you for your help and I hope the answers are what I want to hear!
I suggest you get a cocoon and never leave it until you're safely out of Tucson! Oh, and btw, Oro Valley is accessible through those MEAN streets and shares an airport with the city, too! Don't ever dare deplane or enter city limits! Better yet, don't even bother approaching the vicinity!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:05 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,531,746 times
Default Oro Valley

Oro Valley is a GREAT place to live. I have been here for 20 years now and love living here. Like any large city there are certainly areas of Tucson that one needs to be extra vigilant in. But with all the new restaurants, retail shops and movie theater opening in the new Oro Valley Marketplace we won't even need to go into town that often!

RickTusconHomes.com

Old 01-20-2009, 12:31 AM

31 posts, read 103,360 times
Reading the Star or watching the local news can give you a skewed picture. As a longtime journalist, I am disappointed in how crime is reported here. It does give the impression that this is the Wild West. While crime rates are fairly high in Tucson, you will find that there are plenty of people out and about and that most areas of Tucson are safe.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:59 AM

63 posts, read 192,156 times
and remember if you are a law abiding citizen you can carry a gun.....so there.....

Old 01-20-2009, 07:37 AM

83 posts, read 190,504 times
Default Thanks, all of you Tucsonians

I am relieved to hear that it is not as bad as it sounds, even though caution and vigilance is the way of the world now. Well, I guess I just have to figure out where the bad places are and avoid them. I know I probably sound silly, but I am not young anymore and have never lived in a city. I live now in a very rural, small town where these things are not an issue.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 AM

415 posts, read 1,584,911 times
Rick - you may want to read up on the C-D TOS.

GentleWind - The Daily Star has just implemented this new "daily crime watch" feature, so take it with a grain of salt. It is not that bad. Plus, Oro Valley is a wonderful area with lots of great things to offer. As when moving anywhere, research, research, research! Good Luck.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:43 AM

303 posts, read 1,496,550 times
Quote:
The cops are pricks up there, so you should be fine.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 AM

9,527 posts, read 29,031,348 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, GentleWind . . . CRIME IS EVERYWHERE. Yes, contrary to earlier posts, even in Oro Valley.

Tucson is no better or worse than any major city nowadays. Use basic common sense and avoid the bad areas (usually the South and Southwest but not exclusively), especially late at night and you'll be just fine.

Good Luck and enjoy the fantastic weather.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 AM

522 posts, read 1,466,415 times
When we were there we didn't see any crine or hear anything at night. At least nothing different than we see and hear here in the western Chicago suburbs. We didn't feel like it wasn't safe at night either.

We were in Tucson to check it out so we were out from the early morning to late night. Granted, we didn't go to South Tucson at all so I can't say anything about there.

The thing about reporting data and stitistics is that you usually don't have anything to compare it to. Because of this it can be decieving. The media does this all the time. Whether they do it on purpose or without any thought it is still poor reporting IMO. Here, we live in a very safe suburb but if you read the neighborhood paper and didn't know any better you would thing it is overrun with burgularies and drug addicts. Because for the most part that is all they print in the police report section. There is nothing about all of the other crimes or how to compares to anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson