Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:28 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Don't blame the kids, blame the schools, teachers and parents. Ultimately, it's their responsibility to make sure the kids are on track.
I am sorry. This is precisely the problem. When your child is in higher education, it is up to them to make it work. They have been carried through pre-school, elementary school, middle school, and high school by their parents, their teachers, and their school districts. At some point, accountability has to fall on the student.

There is too much hand-holding in higher education as it is. Students do not come equipped for higher education, but for some reason think that it is the school's responsibility to see that they get a degree in a timely manner. Once you're 18, you need to take responsibility for your future.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:29 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I don't know where you live, but it obviously isn't Tucson. Tucson isn't surrounded by sand. It's surrounded by this:

This is sand:

(imperial valley, California)

Ignorance. (then again, what do you expect from the Nittany Kittens?)
I guess as long as one is surrounded by cacti, nothing else in life should matter.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:03 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
...look at this section of an email I and the professor I TA for received last night in regards to a class:

------------
I alao want to apoligixe to pro <removed>, WHaen I spoke to himw I was wearinf
the clothes I has on the night before. When I got home from the bars I GOT A
CALL (Night before clas) frim my brother and was told that not only he died
but he wanted me ti make a speech at his funeral. So in short sorry for my poor
demeaner and for looking like <inaudible> or someone who was up all night writting his
speech. Anywya Ill be back mext class. I have to look on the syllbus for your
office gours bec i would like to have a do over and talk about some wether and
climate. I look forwad to it
---
Question: You say this was sent by a student in an email. Then why does the quote say "looking like <inaudible>"? I'm assuming the <> bracketing implies an edit. But how can a word in an email be inaudible??

Old 01-24-2009, 08:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
My son is at Pima CC and is in all remedial classes for the sheer fact he can't read, write, do math or science higher than a 6th grade level. He was accepted at UofA with abysmal SAT scores, and we were shocked. We didn't let him go to U of A, rather enrolled him in Pima to get him somewhat up to standard. It'll take him 3 years, but he's willing to do the work. So much of his reading and writing has to do with years of texting, math, who knows? He was educated in a private school in Colorado and still graduated as an illiterate. Even our 35 and 32 year old daughters--married with children--one of whom is the wife of a Lt. Col. can't write or spell to save their lives. They too, were private school educated. In order for schools to qualify under No Child Left Behind, many, many schools fudged their scores by excluding special needs kids, marginal kids and scoring only the top 10% of each classroom. It backfired and most of our kids are the victims of that. Don't blame the kids, blame the schools, teachers and parents. Ultimately, it's their responsibility to make sure the kids are on track.
And I respect you for flat stating it is not the responsibility of the education system to make sure that kids are ready for school

Old 01-24-2009, 08:25 AM

123 posts, read 391,249 times
It's the culture in Arizona that is so off-putting. Yep, it is. The state is beautiful. I even love the hot summers, but gawd it is full of people without class or charm. Then again, both my best friends live in Arizona --- and I am trying to come back! What're ya gonna do. . .Arizona's gets in yer blood.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:28 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I am sorry. This is precisely the problem. When your child is in higher education, it is up to them to make it work. They have been carried through pre-school, elementary school, middle school, and high school by their parents, their teachers, and their school districts. At some point, accountability has to fall on the student.

There is too much hand-holding in higher education as it is. Students do not come equipped for higher education, but for some reason think that it is the school's responsibility to see that they get a degree in a timely manner. Once you're 18, you need to take responsibility for your future.
In one word: yup.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:14 AM

163 posts, read 240,748 times
Default you're not alone...

Quote:
Yup, it looks like the honeymoon is over...sure, I enjoyed the monsoon thunderstorms, the different scenery, and heck, I still love the food...but too much overshadows those small joys:

Since I moved here in August, I have tried...tried to make it work, tried to enjoy it, and tried to get on with what I am here for....but that door is closing fast.

I cannot feel empathy for this state...its citizens...or anything it/they stand(s) for. This state was built on a giant pit of sand...and somehow, that pit of sand works its way through the veins of everyday life here...the way the government acts, the way business is conducted, the education system, and even the way people live their lives. It is all in a giant pit of hot, hellish sand.

When I see many, many students who have graduated from this state's grade school system come to my office or write me an email...and they can barely communicate properly or use proper etiquette when communicating with professors/graduate students...I can feel certain that the future of this state grows dimmer by the minute. Things were not this bad in other states I've been to and lived in...even Florida, which I am famous for not liking. Ever been to the Foothills Mall on a Friday night? The way these kids handle themselves...is unbelievable. It truly is sad.

The way the government and university handles themselves...is ridiculous. UofA is facing a tremendous, $103M cut from the state legislature. This is a huge percentage cut, one that would cripple the UofA if they retained the current levels of tuition, etc. If this cut went through, the UofA's funding would be approximately $296M...divided by 38,000 students is approximately $7790 per student. Did you know that state funding at PSU is roughly $3500/student? Did you know they aren't in any financial crisis? Sure, the in-state tuition at PSU is ~$14K per year...but that is why there are smaller universities and colleges with lower tuition rates (both in PA and AZ). Yet, the University of Arizona...and the Board of Regents...has their respective thumbs up their bums and are threatening to cut out entire departments and colleges on the basis of these cuts. The UofA can survive these cuts...if the leadership is competent. Unfortunately, it is not.

So, in summary, I am sorry Arizona...Tucson...UofA...I'm sorry that I lost what little connection I had to you in the beginning of my time here. However, I feel that if I do not leave soon, I will completely lose my mind and have to be institutionalized. Unfortunately, I do not know when I can leave.
I hear this loud and clear. I moved out here 7 years ago thrilled with the thoughts of a slower paced life (I'm from the NY/NJ area originally) and great weather. And for years I kept trying to kid myself that things out here were great when the truth of the matter is that they aren't. And by the time I fully accepted that moving here was a mistake the housing market crashed so I too am stuck here until I'm able to sell my house.

I don't mind the weather, but I did realize that I do love the 4 distinct seasons experienced in other parts of the county. What I don't like is the level of rudeness and lack of respect of the people (as evidenced by the few "don't let the door hit ya" responses from people in this thread) I've encountered. If you don't think, act and live like they do then look out. For example, I take pride in my property and the 3 twenty-something "men" next door don't. They have no qualms about trashing their yard and feel it's okay to also trash mine. When I asked them not to use my yard as their private driveway they reacted with harassment and juvenile tactics. As someone else in this thread stated...it is full of people without class or charm.

And to the few in this thread that reacted to the original post as if they personally were insulted, I ask why? Not everyone has to love it here and that's not a bad thing.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:15 AM

602 posts, read 2,063,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlefeet View Post
It's the culture in Arizona that is so off-putting. Yep, it is. The state is beautiful. I even love the hot summers, but gawd it is full of people without class or charm. Then again, both my best friends live in Arizona --- and I am trying to come back! What're ya gonna do. . .Arizona's gets in yer blood.
Funny how people can live in the same place and have such differing opinions about it, right down to how they perceive the people.

I find the people to be, on the whole, very nice here.

Oh well. There's a place for everybody, and for those that hate it here, I hope you're able to move to some place that you'll like. I've lived places that I didn't like before too, and it kinda sucks, though you make the best of it.

Thankfully, I was able to come back to Tucson.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:29 AM

602 posts, read 2,063,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
...What I don't like is the level of rudeness and lack of respect of the people (as evidenced by the few "don't let the door hit ya" responses from people in this thread) I've encountered. If you don't think, act and live like they do then look out.
It's kind of a two way street. For instance, your experience has been bad (that of the OP, too), and yet, broadly speaking, you come on here and badmouth not only the place, (the land, weather, etc, but also the people). Why be surprised when those that love it here take issue with that?

For those of you who come on here and badmouth the place, if you just stated that your experience has not been a good one and that you don't like it here for reasons, X, Y, and Z, but that you recognize that others like it, I doubt anyone would be saying 'Don't let the screen door hit ya'.

It's not a fit and it's not to your liking, fine. Understandable, and good luck finding that better fit.

Quote:
For example, I take pride in my property and the 3 twenty-something "men" next door don't. They have no qualms about trashing their yard and feel it's okay to also trash mine. When I asked them not to use my yard as their private driveway they reacted with harassment and juvenile tactics. As someone else in this thread stated...it is full of people without class or charm.
Man, I can relate to the bad neighbors thing. I had some real slobs as neighbors back in South Florida (also an extraordinarily tough real estate market). When I was trying to sell my home, I actually was mowing lawns that were not my own to try to make the area look better. I felt a bit bizarre doing it, but hey, I sold my home, so ...

Quote:
And to the few in this thread that reacted to the original post as if they personally were insulted, I ask why?
Oh, I don't know. Maybe because of statements like this:

"As someone else in this thread stated...it is full of people without class or charm."

Old 01-24-2009, 09:35 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,447,602 times
Quote:
It is a regional thing. I grew up in the southeast (FL), and interacted with many graduates of schools in PA, NJ, MD, NY, and OH. There is no comparison to the lack of quality education that is here in AZ. Keep in mind that I'm also not just talking about people who don't go to college....look at this section of an email I and the professor I TA for received last night in regards to a class:

------------
I alao want to apoligixe to pro <removed>, WHaen I spoke to himw I was wearinf
the clothes I has on the night before. When I got home from the bars I GOT A
CALL (Night before clas) frim my brother and was told that not only he died
but he wanted me ti make a speech at his funeral. So in short sorry for my poor
demeaner and for looking like <inaudible> or someone who was up all night writting his
speech. Anywya Ill be back mext class. I have to look on the syllbus for your
office gours bec i would like to have a do over and talk about some wether and
climate. I look forwad to it
--------------

This is someone who was accepted to the UofA and is a student there. This was not a student-student conversation, but a student-professor-TA conversation. Also, this is far from the first time I have encountered this in AZ....however, AZ was the first time I ever encountered this.
LOL, ROTF. I really needed this laugh this morning!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson