Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 AM

529 posts, read 2,392,743 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd share some news with everyone here. I just attended a breakfast presentation at the University of Arizona's Science and Technology Park (UASTP) regarding the Park's economic impact on the city and state and it was very encouraging.

The results were very positive and all data indicates a continued growth and expansion of the park during the next ten years. The report will be available for the public sometime today at the at the UA's Office of Economic Development website. Keep in mind that the report is based on data from the year 2007; apparently the study is so massive in scope and detail that it takes that long for everything to be collected.

Some highlights:
  • Tech Park is home to 32 tenants that employ 6,175 people
  • The Tech Park created an additional 6,850 jobs in the regional economy
  • Continues to attract high tech companies to Tucson
  • Ambitious ten year expansion plan includes multi-use development (residential/retail/commerical)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:39 AM

359 posts, read 1,197,220 times
The problem with this Science and Technology park is that is is TOO FAR AWAY! You're talking a 20 mile drive from Tucson to the park, and with I-10 all messed up, this doesn't help matters much either. Plus a lot of us don't have cars and rely on Sun Tran to get them from Point A to Point B. Currently, there is no bus service to the Technology Park, and the bus service that is being added, only is serviced on weekdays. Most jobs there require you to work nights, a Saturday or a Sunday. The park benefits residents in Rita Ranch, Vail and Benson but for Tucsonans, eh, not so much.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 PM

529 posts, read 2,392,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
The problem with this Science and Technology park is that is is TOO FAR AWAY! You're talking a 20 mile drive from Tucson to the park, and with I-10 all messed up, this doesn't help matters much either. Plus a lot of us don't have cars and rely on Sun Tran to get them from Point A to Point B. Currently, there is no bus service to the Technology Park, and the bus service that is being added, only is serviced on weekdays. Most jobs there require you to work nights, a Saturday or a Sunday.
95% of the direct employees at the UASTP work for IBM, Citigroup, and Raytheon. It's safe to say that most of these people do NOT work nights, Saturdays, or Sundays.

And if you had actually looked at the report you would have seen that although there is a high concentration of employees in the zip codes around the park there are still many employees who make the commute from all over Tucson.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that because the employee's at the park have a higher paying job on average than most of Pima County they can afford cars (and I'm not just talking about the engineers, there are over 6,000 indirect employees also).

Quote:
The park benefits residents in Rita Ranch, Vail and Benson but for Tucsonans, eh, not so much.
"The University of Arizona Science and Technology Park, founded in 1995, contributed $2.5 billion to Pima County's economy in 2007, including $63.9 million in tax revenue, according to a UA study released Thursday."

Old 01-31-2009, 02:05 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
95% of the direct employees at the UASTP work for IBM, Citigroup, and Raytheon. It's safe to say that most of these people do NOT work nights, Saturdays, or Sundays.

And if you had actually looked at the report you would have seen that although there is a high concentration of employees in the zip codes around the park there are still many employees who make the commute from all over Tucson.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that because the employee's at the park have a higher paying job on average than most of Pima County they can afford cars (and I'm not just talking about the engineers, there are over 6,000 indirect employees also).

"The University of Arizona Science and Technology Park, founded in 1995, contributed $2.5 billion to Pima County's economy in 2007, including $63.9 million in tax revenue, according to a UA study released Thursday."
I do agree with the other businesses but:

Citigroup, yes you do work weekends. It's a call center, what else?

And the new Target Fulfillment Center, you have to work rotating shifts (Including nights, and weekends).

Old 01-31-2009, 07:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,120,419 times
Quote:
The problem with this Science and Technology park is that is is TOO FAR AWAY! You're talking a 20 mile drive from Tucson to the park, and with I-10 all messed up, this doesn't help matters much either. Plus a lot of us don't have cars and rely on Sun Tran to get them from Point A to Point B. Currently, there is no bus service to the Technology Park, and the bus service that is being added, only is serviced on weekdays. Most jobs there require you to work nights, a Saturday or a Sunday. The park benefits residents in Rita Ranch, Vail and Benson but for Tucsonans, eh, not so much.
The location of the park is just fine and most people do have cars.

Your personal situation colors all your views. You'd hate any city living like that.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:49 PM

104 posts, read 319,382 times
We just got notice here that they are threatening to close that overpriced cafeteria unless it is subsidized by Raytheon, IBM, Citi... etc.

So apparently someone is losing money on the deal.

But I love it, my commute is 15 mins from Vail. I just wish I didn't office in a friggin warehouse cubefarm.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,345,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf77 View Post
I just wish I didn't office in a friggin warehouse cubefarm.
Now THAT's a great description!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson