U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:44 PM

6,044 posts, read 11,011,218 times

Advertisements

I got into the University of Arizona. I am torn between the University of Arizona and New Mexico State. Which college should I choose and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 PM

529 posts, read 2,290,318 times
What are you going to be studying?

Old 02-02-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
What are you going to be studying?
Geography

Old 02-02-2009, 01:49 PM

17,873 posts, read 40,968,903 times
You need to give us more information before anyone could advise you. Field of study, size of school you are looking for, your activity preferences at the school and the surrounding area, etc.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 PM

I said my major. I like both colleges as far as size goes. Arizona has twice as many students as NMSU, but all I care about is that the college isn't too small. Activities don't matter; I might end up doing some activities but I don't have anything in mind. As far as the surrounding area goes, I just like things to be easy to get to. I will not have a car and would rather walk than take the bus. Housing is a factor too as I will be living off campus. Good food is a plus. I know the food at Arizona is good because I ate there but I never ate at NMSU. I visited the University of Arizona and liked the surrounding area. I also visited NMSU but we were just driving through Las Cruces so I didn't get as much of a feel for the surrounding area (but I liked what I saw). I must say, the scenery in the Southwest is much better than anything up here.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 PM

9 posts, read 31,643 times
Howdy!

I'm an Arizona alum, and while I haven't done more than drive through Las Cruces, I'd wager Tucson has what you're looking for. There's plenty of cheap housing in good neighborhoods right around the University. (I lived in walking distance of campus my entire time in college for less than $250/month!) Our public transit is decent, but better than that, Tucson is one of the best cities in the country for bike-riding year round in spite of the stupidly hot summers. And I personally prefer the scenery here over New Mexico - more greenery.

I liked UA because I like Tucson. But if you're not looking for a medium-size residential city where all our culture is hidden in anonymous strip malls throughout a sprawling flat (and in some places ugly) valley, it might not be for you. Every place has good and not so good.

Incidentally, I had a roommate once who got a MS in geography, and has since moved on to do his PhD at UW-Madison. So not a bad program I gather.

Good luck with your search.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 PM

8,749 posts, read 12,260,425 times
I'm a Univ of AZ alumni, and I majored in Regional Development, and took a ton of classes in Geography. You will most likely be taking your major in the Harvill building--that's where Planning and Geography is. Anyway, that's IF you choose the U of A.

First off, the campus is amazing. What's great is the density and compactness of it all--right there together. You don't need a car at ALL. There are tons of bike lanes and bike racks all over the campus. The weather is beautiful in the winter, and the sun shines about 330 out of 365 days a year. Mexico is 45 minutes away, and Tucson has an amazing amount of delicious restaurants. Sausage Deli (right near campus) is an institution. Amazing sandwiches.
Tucson has all the "bigger city" amenities you'll need too. You have 4 malls in Tucson, great access to the outdoors within 20-30 minutes, and a great program in Geography at U of A.
I loved my experience at Arizona and would recommend it in a heartbeat. Enjoy it and make a ton of memories. When you leave you'll really miss the time spent there.
I've never spent time in Las Cruces, NM, but have driven through the town many times back and forth to Tucson. It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and there's around 75,000 people or so I think.
I think you have very limited options there. Maybe more time to focus on your studies, but it depends on what you are looking for. Good luck!!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:40 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,705,883 times
I would NOT recommend U of A. The state is going through severe education budget cuts. This has compromised the quality of public education in Arizona. Public education in Arizona is ranked 49th, just ahead of Mississippi. There are many programs at U of A that are going to be completely cut due to the budget shortfall. If you want to deal with the uncertainty of whether or not you will have adequate funding from year-to-year or if your program will exist the next year, by all means, come here.

Arizona spends the lowest amount of money per student than any other state in the country. Also, the amount of money Arizona spends on its prison system will actually exceed the amount of money the state spends on education next year.

That said, I know Arizona has a pretty high-ranking Geography program. I know that New Mexico State is much smaller, is in a much smaller town, and is even more isolated than Tucson is. However, with the extreme education budget cuts Arizona is dealing with right now, New Mexico might be a better choice.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 PM

474 posts, read 1,024,514 times
I attend the U of A. Geography major, Classics minor. What a beautiful campus. And that place is its own little world. The shops, the food, banks, post office, hair cutting, movie theater(for cheap), live bands outside, and on and on. I don't see not having a car being a problem.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 PM

474 posts, read 1,024,514 times
I'm a military brat, and the U of A reminds me of military bases, in that, everything you need is right there. And the more I think about it, not having a car will save you a lot of money. No car insurance or car repair bills, and no gas or parking expenses. I drive my own car, but I don't have a parking pass. The passes are expensive, and you can only park in one area. I pay for metered parking, so I can park where I want, when I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson