Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:00 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
Then we fought against Germany and then Japan with even greater force to keep this great country. (otherwise we woule be speaking German or Japanese now)
No we wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:23 AM

643 posts, read 2,053,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
No we wouldn't.

He's got a point.

My step-mom says the same thing about this middle-east... 'thing'. Apparently if we 'lose' (can we win?) over there, we'll all speak whatever-language-it-is-they-speak-over-there.

When I was a kid there was Blue Angel's airshows in CA. We used to go see them, but I just don't think that kind of chest-thumping patriotism is very popular anymore. OR, it's very expensive. Maybe both.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:03 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
When I was a kid there was Blue Angel's airshows in CA. We used to go see them, but I just don't think that kind of chest-thumping patriotism is very popular anymore. OR, it's very expensive. Maybe both.
I miss the Veteran's Day Parades which would never fail to include all of Tucson's high school and some "Junior high school" bands plus the University of Arizona. They would also have the Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force bands, plus numerous Veteran groups with their own drum and brass units! They would always feature the songs from the great John Philip Sousa!

Talk about patriotism! FLAG waving, for crying out loud! NOBODY had any qualms or doubt that flying the American flag was THE most wonderful thing to do! Talk about people who were unified in their celebration of an event!

All of that plus the scents and aromas and fragrances of good ol' popcorn and cigar smoke and cotton candy and peanuts... and warm sunshine...

...:::SIGH:::...

Today's high school bands (etc)... are fewer... and their music from Sousa (if any) seems to be a bit watered down and lacking the spirit of the occasion... they do better when they're in the Rodeo and other parades... when they instead will feature top 40 rock songs and other such pedestrian/vanilla stuff. Today, waving an American flag still happens, but unfortunately... it seems to be an after-thought...

Old 03-07-2010, 11:38 AM

522 posts, read 1,568,469 times
Quote:
I miss the Veteran's Day Parades which would never fail to include all of Tucson's high school and some "Junior high school" bands plus the University of Arizona. They would also have the Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force bands, plus numerous Veteran groups with their own drum and brass units! They would always feature the songs from the great John Philip Sousa!

Talk about patriotism! FLAG waving, for crying out loud! NOBODY had any qualms or doubt that flying the American flag was THE most wonderful thing to do! Talk about people who were unified in their celebration of an event!

All of that plus the scents and aromas and fragrances of good ol' popcorn and cigar smoke and cotton candy and peanuts... and warm sunshine...

...:::SIGH:::...

Today's high school bands (etc)... are fewer... and their music from Sousa (if any) seems to be a bit watered down and lacking the spirit of the occasion... they do better when they're in the Rodeo and other parades... when they instead will feature top 40 rock songs and other such pedestrian/vanilla stuff. Today, waving an American flag still happens, but unfortunately... it seems to be an after-thought...
I miss these as well! I remember when I was a kid and they tested the X-15 over Chicago. Then they flew a fighter jet overhead and broke the sound barrier. We got cracks in the walls. My parents were excited about it and because of that so were we. (my sister, brother and I)

This is the reason we still have some freedoms remaining. I say "still" because we have been loosing them little by little. As you stater Zony, the Sousa music is disappearing as well as waving the American Flag.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
I miss these as well! I remember when I was a kid and they tested the X-15 over Chicago. Then they flew a fighter jet overhead and broke the sound barrier. We got cracks in the walls. My parents were excited about it and because of that so were we. (my sister, brother and I)

This is the reason we still have some freedoms remaining. I say "still" because we have been loosing them little by little. As you stater Zony, the Sousa music is disappearing as well as waving the American Flag.
We need to continue to push back about our original America and its music and its flag and its military (etc) until death do us part. I'm not going to allow "followers of this wimpy new age" complete with their anti-American sentiment to water down our great country.

Jet noise forever!

Old 03-09-2010, 12:06 PM

57 posts, read 153,975 times
I really actually DO love jets roaring overhead.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBroad View Post
I really actually DO love jets roaring overhead.
Yay, Buckeye!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post

Did you ever actually serve in the military or are you one of those "armchair heroes" who thinks it's patriotic to vote for others to go to war?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Some of us have family in the military and we support our troops and our military. So, no, we're anot "armchair heroes" and yes, we're patriotic. Personally, I'm very proud to be patriotic. I come from a military background and I have family in the military overseas right now.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 AM

602 posts, read 2,063,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Did you ever actually serve in the military or are you one of those "armchair heroes" who thinks it's patriotic to vote for others to go to war?
Patriotism is not a bad thing if you respect America's history.

If, on the other hand, you buy into the leftist worldview that portrays America's history as evil and in need of radical change, and something that must be apologized for at every opportunity by our Apologist in Chief then I suspect you'd be offended by what you'd regard as jingoism.

It really is kind of basic that way. You either thought that America was great and preeminent in most respects by, say, 1960 or so (as was commonly thought and taught back then), or you subscribe to ideas like America was evil and achieved its status by exploiting and misusing all and sundry as is taught today.

The people that made America preeminent are now vilified, and those that are turning it third rate/ third world are lionized. Talk about an Orwellian inversion of values in a mere 50 years.

Anyway, I'm with ZP. Nothing wrong with a little appreciation for your country's history and heroes (and jet noise).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson