Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 14,421 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone can give some advice on using a scooter in Tucson. I'll be moving to Tucson in April and am thinking of buying one for my daily commute of about 30 minutes each way. I don't know anything about Tucson or how this type of vehicle would work in the extreme heat or in monsoon season.

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 03:29 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holamiis View Post
I'm hoping someone can give some advice on using a scooter in Tucson. I'll be moving to Tucson in April and am thinking of buying one for my daily commute of about 30 minutes each way. I don't know anything about Tucson or how this type of vehicle would work in the extreme heat or in monsoon season.

Any opinions?
Tough to respond, Holamils . . . without knowing your commute route?

Personally, I would not consider it mainly because there are far too many "crazies" on the road nowadays, however, if you are able avoid the major streets it may be possible.

Remember, the Monsoons are usually in the Late Afternoon and rarely last very long so it would be possible to wait one out.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:20 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
What are you going to do when it rains? Doesn't seem like it would be fun to drive during the rain, especially in high wind during a monsoon.

I would be more worried about the other drivers, it would not be very safe, especially in Tucson.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:22 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
My husband rides a small motorcycle (Honda Rebel 250), and has no trouble in Tucson. Obviously, you have to be an aware rider, and pick your routes, but both are well within what I'd consider normal safety guidelines. I pick *my* routes for safety and ease of travel, and I drive a car!

If you get stuck in monsoon rain, you can just congregate with the motorcyclists and scooter riders under the nearest protection (underpass, awning, what have you). For summer riding, it's best to have summer riding gear; you want to be protected from injury without heatstroke from heavy clothing.

HTH

Old 02-27-2009, 05:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
I don't know anything about Tucson or how this type of vehicle would work in the extreme heat or in monsoon season.
I ride a Motorcycle. I have to tell you, during the heat times, when 110 degrees is not unusual, my bike is parked. During monsoon season, when a storm hits, it is usually for short duration so, if I were riding, I would park (and cover) the bike - sit in a resturant with a nice cool drink, and wait for the storm to pass.

In other words, have an alternate means of transportation - "Just in case"

The good part is, when the sun goes down, it becomes a nice time to ride.

Good luck

Old 02-28-2009, 12:08 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,726 times
Here are some interesting statistics

Motor Vehicle Division

I agree with Greatday... Options... my friend... options...

Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 14,421 times
Hey thanks guys! I appreciate it. For the most part, it looks like I would take Broadway Blvd. from Houghton to just past I-10. Eh, maybe I'll sissy out and get a car.....

Thanks again!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Hey thanks guys! I appreciate it. For the most part, it looks like I would take Broadway Blvd. from Houghton to just past I-10. Eh, maybe I'll sissy out and get a car.....

Thanks again!
I suggest you sissy out if you'd like to stay alive!

Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:

Thanks again!
I'd take one of the secondary streets rather than Broadway, personally. Fifth is a nice pleasant drive, I think. The speed limit is 30 mph, but it's still a much smoother drive than Broadway, IMO. My car's a stick shift, so I value a smooth drive!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:12 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
I ride a motorcycle frequently in Tucson and I think that if you are seriously facing a 30 minute commute, you will be better off with an economical car. A scooter would be handy if you lived in the downtown/UofA area and are only riding it around down there. Once you get outside of downtown, it's just not practical (or safe) in my opinion. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: