Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:08 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,319,658 times

Advertisements

Daylight Saving Time? What's THAT?

I dunno... but, its supposedly happening this coming Sunday, March 8, 2009 - at 2:00 am!

Officially, except for the Navajo Nation up in Northern Arizona, Arizona does NOT observe Daylight Saving Time! Ain't much need to... as far as I'm concerned, Arizona has ALL the daylight it needs.

Here's one blogger's take on Arizona's "participation".

Hey! What about our stupid SMART clocks? Shouldn't they already be pre-set to all of this Spring Forward/Fall Back stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 PM

359 posts, read 1,195,177 times
Your favorite programs on TV is going to be an hour earlier on cable because we don't observe DST.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:59 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,564,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Daylight Saving Time? What's THAT?

I dunno... but, its supposedly happening this coming Sunday, March 8, 2009 - at 2:00 am!

Hey! What about our stupid SMART clocks? Shouldn't they already be pre-set to all of this Spring Forward/Fall Back stuff?
Sorry, Zony . . . gotta disagree on this one!

Not a big fan of Daylight Savings Time, however, continuity with the rest of the country makes more sense and our lives would be simpler.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
Your favorite programs on TV is going to be an hour earlier on cable because we don't observe DST.
That's true, ihatetucson! A small price for Arizonans to pay, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sorry, Zony . . . gotta disagree on this one!

Not a big fan of Daylight Savings Time, however, continuity with the rest of the country makes more sense and our lives would be simpler.
Hey, Bumster... Arizona actually observed DST for ONE YEAR before they exempted themselves from participation. I found this info about that:

Arizona observed DST in 1967 under the Uniform Time Act because the state legislature did not enact an exemption statute that year. In March 1968, the DST exemption statute was enacted and the state of Arizona has not observed DST since 1967 (however, the large Navajo Indian Reservation, which extends from Arizona into two adjacent states, does). This is in large part due to energy conservation: Phoenix and Tucson are hotter than any other large U.S. metropolitan area during the summer, resulting in more power usage from air conditioning units and evaporative coolers in homes and businesses. An extra hour of sunlight while people are active would cause people to run their cooling systems longer, thereby using more energy.
Local residents remember the summer of 1967, the one year DST was observed. The State Senate Majority leader at the time owned drive-in movie theaters and was nearly bankrupted by the practice. Movies could not start until 22:00 (10:00pm) at the height of summer: well past normal hours for most Arizona residents. There has never been any serious consideration of reversing the exemption.

Just thought I'd shed a little more LIGHT on the subject!

Old 03-06-2009, 08:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,946,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Just thought I'd shed a little more LIGHT on the subject!
That's good! You need some light out there in the Dark Ages!

Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,232,066 times
Have to say that DST is one thing I will miss when the time comes that we move the Arizona. I love those ultra-long days - of course even leaving aside the issue of DST, the days will already be much shorter than up here near the Canadian border.

Still, I guess I'll survive.

Ken

Old 03-06-2009, 08:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,946,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Have to say that DST is one thing I will miss when the time comes that we move the Arizona. I love those ultra-long days - of course even leaving aside the issue of DST, the days will already be much shorter than up here near the Canadian border.

Still, I guess I'll survive.

Ken
Well, I don't like this, either, but I've survived - at least physically... The mental survival is kinda questionable! You do understand you'll be living around ponies, don't ya?!

Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 PM

415 posts, read 1,676,671 times
I kind of like it. I have noticed it doesn't quite get dark at 6 anymore.....I used to tell my kids to be home at 6/ or dark. I call my friends in NY, remembering that I am 2 hours behind now and then 3 hours in the spring.

Also, the comment about the digital/ smart clocks...it's funny. My Mom has one that is capable of following the non DST, she chooses to have it correct half the year and the half it is not correct, she is just so used to it being an hour off.

I have found that some internet message boards and email programs still do not have "Arizona time" (although some do), so I find myself getting used to the time being off for half a year as well.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's good! You need some light out there in the Dark Ages!
Yeah, otherwise I'd stub my toes out there in the dark when I go hunting for my food!

Old 03-06-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, I don't like this, either, but I've survived - at least physically... The mental survival is kinda questionable! You do understand you'll be living around ponies, don't ya?!
Hey! Ponies are cute and lovable, and remember...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: