U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM

788 posts, read 3,956,480 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I was looking at some of the photos posted on this site of Tucson and noticed some mountains in the background. What are they called? Are they further away from the city of Tucson than they look?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 PM

164 posts, read 811,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Hi there,

I was looking at some of the photos posted on this site of Tucson and noticed some mountains in the background. What are they called? Are they further away from the city of Tucson than they look?

Thanks!
The first time i visited Tucson I was blown away by the mountains. They are right there on top of you, everywhere you go. The Catalina mountains are beautiful also. Tucson is surrounded by mountains on all sides, dont really no all the names tho, I dont live there. But its a nice place to live if you have a job.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the response. I haven't been there, yet, but I find myself becoming more and more drawn to the desert landscape. The mountains surrounding it are such an aesthetic plus too. I wonder if it is more attractive than Phoenix?

Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 PM

95 posts, read 627,034 times
Tucson is surrounded by the Tucson, Santa Catalina, Rincon, Tortolita and Santa Rita Mts but I don't recall which side each is on. I personally think Tucson is prettier than Phoenix and there are a lot of nice back roads with great scenery.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:10 PM

5,610 posts, read 22,356,494 times
Phoenix is an extremely vast, flat desert floor with little buttes and "basin and range" mountains/geology here and there. The highest of these, Camelback Mountain, which is basically a really big red rock, is still only about 2000ft above sea level (about 1000 ft above the valley floor). In most of Phoenix, it is hard to get any mountain views unless if you stand in just the right spot, such as in the middle of a big road going straight for miles. The mountains surrounding Tucson are bigger than surrounding Phoenix (Mt Lemmon is about 9000ft and Tucson's elevation is about 2000ft), and occasionally will get some snow. The Tucson area is more hilly and rugged (and smaller) than Phoenix. There are bigger seasonal differences too-- I was in Tucson last week and the Catalina mountains looked really dry and "wintery" compared to when I was hiking in Catalina State Park in October (just after the monsoon season). Even though it was really hot, the desert was extremely lush and green.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:25 PM

5,610 posts, read 22,356,494 times
Here are some photos of Tucson I have taken on my various excursions there in the last year. Enjoy!

The downtown area shot from the parking garage at UofA:

The other view of Tucson shot from the same location:

A shot of Catalina State Park (in early Feb):

View of Oro Valley:

Old 03-22-2007, 09:49 AM

20,458 posts, read 25,153,444 times
Default Sky IIsands

The mountains in that general region are referred to as the Sky Islands and the name is very appropriate. Living here in Seattle we also have lots of mountains, but the structure of the mountain chains here is much more simple, with one long stretch of mountains running north and south (all the way down to California) and another small clump (the Olympics) off to the west. Around Tucson it's very different, with many of these "islands" of mountains rising abruptly from an otherwise fairly flat plain. Each of these islands is relatively small but there are many of them and they are scattered about more or less randomly in all directions, with a clump here, a clump there, nearly everywhere you look.

The end result is that nearly anywhere has a great view in one or more directions.

Here's a link to a site discussing the Sky Islands that you might find interesting:

http://biology.usgs.gov/s+t/frame/r119.htm (broken link)

Ken

Old 03-22-2007, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 8,136 times
Tucson Mts to the west; Catalina Mts to the north, Rincons to the east and Santa Rita Mts to the south.

Tucson is a high valley situated ~2800 ft in alt (at the airport) and slopes SE to NW.

Yes, even tho ringed by mountains, you can see for miles. I live 25 mi SE of the city in Vail and I can see downtown Tucson, Kitt Peak Observatory and Picacho Peak some 50-60 miles away.

I've been in the Tucson area for 11 years now (previously in FL) and I love it.

All-in-all a pretty decent local to live and raise kids

Old 03-22-2007, 05:29 PM

164 posts, read 811,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Thanks for the response. I haven't been there, yet, but I find myself becoming more and more drawn to the desert landscape. The mountains surrounding it are such an aesthetic plus too. I wonder if it is more attractive than Phoenix?
It depends where you go in Phoenix, theres mountains there to but in alot of citys there further away. In Apache Junction the mountains are nice and the McDowell mountains also around Scottsdale.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:00 AM

Thanks for all of your responses. I love the pics too! I think I would find it quite beautiful there.

Here's another question:

I know Tucson is further south than Phoenix, which in my mind means warmer, however, due to its proximity to mountains, and its elevation (I think a PP mentioned that Tucson is higher desert, and has a higher elevation than Phoenix) is it cooler? Do the foothills get snow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson