U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 02:50 PM

23 posts, read 55,171 times

Advertisements

Hello Tucson forum, I have done some reading of previous posts in the area and everyone seems like they are having a good time commenting on the reasons they love and hate Tucson; thanks for the candid posts!

I am being relocated by my company from Cleveland Ohio to Oro Valley and have a pretty good feel for the area based on your posts and the short amount of time I have got to spend there.

First takeaways is that the landscape is very different from Cleveland but very beautiful. I really like the mountains on the landscape where ever you look (mainly east), the lush desert greenery (the deserts plants are pretty neat) the warmth obviously and the clear dark evening sky; seems like a pretty good place to be in. Drawbacks I see are that it is not very walkable, area is built around the car and lots of big box stores. I was depressed to see a Walmart store in the Market Place, pretty lame plaza with not so great shopping. Houses are very close, yet spaced far apart like little "cluster towns" but nothing but houses. This will be the hardest part about the move here, in Rocky River (westside suburb 10 mintues from downtown Cleveland) I can walk everywhere to run almost any errend. I do see some bike trails; do they lead to places I can ride my bike to run errends?

I am moving my family and want to be close to work so I will be residing in Oro Valley and Catholic education is very important to my wife and I especially since I have seen so many posts about how horrible the public school systems are in Tucson which is pretty concerning considering childeren are the areas future and also help raise the value of homes.

I see that the Catholic School in Oro Valley is Immaculate Heart, I was wondering if anyone had some experiance with the school mainly in the youger ages pre-school and up, and if it is better than the public schools in Oro Valley. Also any other imput on Oro Valley in general would be appricated from people who live there or know a lot about the area for someone just movning in.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 05:00 PM

985 posts, read 2,686,593 times
Welcome to Tucson! We just moved here 9 months ago. My daughter is in 8th grade at Immaculate heart school. I am very pleased with the school. She has had a very good year. Made lots of friends. Everyone is very friendly. But we have only been at the school for the one year. I know there is a waiting list so I suggest you call soon. Peggy who works in the office is very helpful.. Good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: