U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:36 PM

24 posts, read 144,737 times

Advertisements

For those of you that live in Tucson, you know what the "hot face" is. To the original poster of this thread, you will soon find out what that hot face is! Hope you don't have leather seats in your car, haha!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 03:32 AM

303 posts, read 788,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I lived in Tucson from '90-'93...I would assume the weather is still quite similar...Summer in Tucson RULES!!!!!!!!!!!
I lived in Tucson July '94-August '95 and agree. I really liked living there.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 AM

2,916 posts, read 7,628,104 times
The catch-phrase for much of Arizona has always been: "But, its a DRY heat"!

My additional response continues to be: " But so's a BLAST FURNACE"!

Actually, the heat here might not always get hot enough to kill you, BUT, IF you fail to take precautions, like staying indoors at certain times of the day, or, if outside, in whatever shade you can find... then, you bring it all on yourself!

Stay safe during the desert summers!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:45 PM

602 posts, read 1,899,217 times
I lived in Miami for 6 years before returning to Tucson last May (having lived here for a couple of years previously).

Just in terms of comfort, I much prefer Tucson's summer to Miami's. It is undoubtedly hotter here, but to me, much more comfortable.

I even hike in the summer around here. I just do it in the late afternoon (or earlier, if I want to start at higher elevation).

No telling what your preferences might be, but for me... way more comfortable here. Summer's no big deal to me, and in fact, I love it.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:58 PM

228 posts, read 551,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
you don't sweat all that much so the biggest problem is the sun beating on you constantly.

Oh yes, you do sweat, a ton. It just evaporates very quickly because the air is dry, and so you're not aware of it. That's why the risk of dehydration is so high in a desert climate, and you absolutely need to take precautions.

Also, I find it a bit odd that no one's mentioned the monsoon season in this discussion. the perception that summers in Tucson and Phoenix are "dry heat" all the time is a misconception. The monsoon season felt quite humid to me- maybe not quite as humid as Florida, but the air is hotter. I've had that "dog slobbering all over me", sweat dripping uncontrollably sensation in Phoenix during the monsoon season many, many times.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:00 PM

163 posts, read 763,517 times
Cool Summer in Tucson

Summer in Tucson is tough to handle, but ya sort of get used to it!! You learn to adjust, I seem to slow down and don't rush, drink plenty of water and stay out of the sun in the afternoon Take a lesson from the animals here they stay out of sight in the summer afternoon

Old 12-18-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
Also, I find it a bit odd that no one's mentioned the monsoon season in this discussion. the perception that summers in Tucson and Phoenix are "dry heat" all the time is a misconception. The monsoon season felt quite humid to me- maybe not quite as humid as Florida, but the air is hotter. I've had that "dog slobbering all over me", sweat dripping uncontrollably sensation in Phoenix during the monsoon season many, many times.
To me, monsoon season is humid relative to Tucson's other 9 1/2 months, but for somebody that would come from Miami to Tucson in August (right in our monsoon), they'd think it's really dry here compared to what they just left.

They're not comparable at all (to me), and I just spend the previous 6 years in Miami.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:30 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,719,276 times
Always dismiss local heat & humidity conditions by citing the few having worse.

Just like crime, if it's better than awful it's still bad.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Always dismiss local heat & humidity conditions by citing the few having worse.
No, I actually like the summers here. Wish it were back tomorrow. Cold weather SUCKS!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 AM

42,835 posts, read 82,080,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
No, I actually like the summers here. Wish it were back tomorrow. Cold weather SUCKS!
I'm with ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson