Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:55 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times

Advertisements

edited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, considering the fact that the J-60 Ranchettes development was platted and the first homes placed there BACK IN THE 1970's (you know - NEARLY 40 YEARS AGO!) you're a little LATE with that criticism.
Makes sense, back then sprawl was an accepted standard which by today's standards are considered archaic.

Welcome back to the outdated 70's way of living and thank you for perpetuating it

Urban sprawl definition:

map: J-6 Ranchettes - Google Maps

zoom OUT to find Tucson

Old 04-03-2010, 07:19 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Makes sense, back then sprawl was an accepted standard which by today's standards are considered archaic.

Welcome back to the outdated 70's way of living and thank you for perpetuating it

Urban sprawl definition:

map: J-6 Ranchettes - Google Maps

zoom OUT to find Tucson
I know where Tucson is just fine thank you very much.
And I'm QUITE ALRIGHT with living out there - so you are QUITE WELCOME.
Glad you are taking such an interest in my private life. Does that mean you don't have one of your own?
Cause I gotta tell ya' it kind'a sounds like it.

Ken

Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 18,703 times
I have never seen or heard of a car blowing up in the past 15 years I have lived in Tucson. I say, light, breathable clothing, long sleeves and/or pants don't make that much difference, in fact helps for sun protection. The rays not only come from the sun but reflect off of most everything, so sunglasses always to avoid burning the retina of your eyes, as I did. This year I bought an umbrella to give shade since shade is hard to find in the summer. Still very hot, but more protection. I used to laugh at people who carried umbrellas, but not anymore.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I know where Tucson is just fine thank you very much.
And I'm QUITE ALRIGHT with living out there - so you are QUITE WELCOME.
Glad you are taking such an interest in my private life. Does that mean you don't have one of your own?
Cause I gotta tell ya' it kind'a sounds like it.
Perfectly great life thanks, and it doesn't involve contributing to sprawl either.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Hey all,

I'm planning on speding the summer (early June-early August) in Tucson for a summer program at the University of Arizona. I have heard about Tucson's notorious summer heat, but hear that it's pretty dry. Also, it doesn't look like the temperature rises above 105-107 that often, and cools significantly off at night. I am live in Pennsylvania, but as my name implies, have spent considerable time in Miami, FL. For those of you that have live or spent some time in Tucson, is the summer heat truly that bad?
Compared to Miami, Tucson is a walk in the park.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:02 PM

97 posts, read 229,355 times
It has been sort of 'chilly' here this March & early April. Today felt about 'average' - it was 87. Yesterday the 'official' at Sky Harbor was a cool 76. And.. in Boston - 90.. I think NYC had 92.. and Hartford 93, while 'Vegas only had 68. That is quite a testament to how 'el nino' gives the jet stream convulsions.. causing mischief all over the USA et al.

The climate is definitely on a warming trend. The corporate greedy that finance blow-hards such as the $50,000,000 a year man.. 'Limbaugh'.. will play up any angle to keep the gullible citizen (most) arguing their greedy cause. Yes.. let's keep burning coal & oil.. dark-age technology..

Tucson was measurably cooler, back 40 years ago. I do recall the cooler nights & yes, it could swelter for some days in monsoon season. many people only used coolers.. it got a bit sticky. Now..? It is warmer. Much more A/C there. With A/C - summer is no biggie..

Um.. if you had to live in a tent..? Eeeek..! Phoenix and Baghdad, Iraq are very equal in temp..

Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
We currently live in Palm Beach county Fla----residing in South Florida for 25 years I agree the observations that there may not a more uncomfortable and torturous season than summers in S Florida.

Some posters have indicated that the intense Florida heat lasts for only three months and that it is mitigated by cool ocean breezes and daily thunderstorms. Dream on little dreamers----dream on.

The summer heat starts here in early May and last through mid to late October. Any breezes are minimal and only if your butt is parked on the beach for 24 hours a day. Since some of us work for living we experience 85-90% humidity on top of the 91-93 degree daily temps every day. The notion that this is paradise, as propounded the chamber of commerce, is humorous to those of us who have to change shirts 5 times a day to avoid drowning in your own sweat.

The daily thunderstorms provide relief to the heat----for about four minutes----bingo than the sun reappears and furnace returns with a vengeance.

Look----preferences are an individual choice and option. I would just enjoy the opportunity to be dry for a change and not have to worry about suffocating. We are getting close to retirement and we have thought about the Tuscon area.

Its not always a bed of roses somewhere else----but a lifestyle change now seems in order. I will just have to hide the minimum temps in winter from my wife for awhile. It gets into the thirties in Tuscon in the winter months but it appears to recover into the sixties most days-----it is comfortable in the winter----right---please say yes.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 9,650 times
LOL. Tucson sucks. I've lived here 9 years and even in the winter the sun will bake you to death. Look around at the locals and I guarantee that a 40 or 50 year old person here looks easily 10 or 15 years older than the same aged person somewhere else. The only way to survive around here is to stay inside or plaster yourself with sunblock all year round. Cooling off at night is a total joke. Last summer it was easily 95 degrees at midnight from July through october.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:29 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Its not always a bed of roses somewhere else----but a lifestyle change now seems in order. I will just have to hide the minimum temps in winter from my wife for awhile. It gets into the thirties in Tuscon in the winter months but it appears to recover into the sixties most days-----it is comfortable in the winter----right---please say yes.
I have lived in many parts of the country including San Diego and you know what, I would take Tucson winters over any of them. In San Diego you get the winter storms coming in off the coast and it can get nasty sometimes. In Tucson once in a while you might need a jacket in the morning. By lunch it is very nice. People that thinks winters are bad here probably have not lived in other places to compare it to.

Summers get hot but believe me, nothing compared to Florida, Texas, even northeast due to humidity, as you already appreciate. Tucson is about 5 degrees cooler than Phoenix and that makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson