U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,200 times

Advertisements

I got accepted to the University of Arizona and plan to start school there in the Fall of 2009. I plan to live off campus, as my cousin is going to move up there with me when I start school. We both plan to go to school and work, however she will be paying a larger share of the rent than I. Either way, we don't know a whole lot about Tucson and need some help from residents! That being said, our first hurdle is housing. We are looking for a two bedroom apartment (possibly house) in a SAFE neighborhood. As for rent, nothing more than $1,000 a month. Preferably in the $700-$900 range. Of course, anything less would be fantastic.

Any helpful info you would have for two gals moving to Tucson would be very much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 05:22 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,109,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat.b.by View Post
I got accepted to the University of Arizona and plan to start school there in the Fall of 2009. I plan to live off campus, as my cousin is going to move up there with me when I start school. We both plan to go to school and work, however she will be paying a larger share of the rent than I. Either way, we don't know a whole lot about Tucson and need some help from residents! That being said, our first hurdle is housing. We are looking for a two bedroom apartment (possibly house) in a SAFE neighborhood. As for rent, nothing more than $1,000 a month. Preferably in the $700-$900 range. Of course, anything less would be fantastic.

Any helpful info you would have for two gals moving to Tucson would be very much appreciated!
Congratulations on getting into the UofA. It's a great school. As for housing, the safest areas near the University in your price range are the neighborhoods just East of Campus. It's generally called the Sam Hughes area. You should be able to find a small two bedroom for less than $1000/month.

One apartment complex in that area worth looking into is the Country Club Apartments on the corner of Country Club and 6th. They are affordable, mostly students, quiet and pretty safe. I lived there for a year as an undergrad and never had any problems.

Another place to look is the West University neighborhood which is just West of campus. It's not as safe as Sam Hughes, but cheaper and still a pretty good spot overall. There are lots of students living in the West University area so you will find lots of people in your shoes. I lived in West University for two years during my masters and then again during law school and other than a few drunk students falling into my bushes, I never had a problem.

Anyplace near the university will have it's share of petty crime, but my advice would be to avoid renting West of Stone Ave, East of Country Club, South of Broadway, or North of Grant Road. Crime spikes dramatically in some (not all) of those areas. Also, being close avoids a long commute.

Good luck with your studies and congratulations again!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:18 PM

4,211 posts, read 13,335,776 times
there are lots of rentals available now....even some room to haggle a bit, I'm told.....

you profile there says Silver City....can you find a couple days to come over and check the area out?....scour all sides of the U and walk around the U itself to start getting comfortable with it....look at rentals and get a feel for prices....

as the other poster said, the areas immediately S and W of the U are sorta junky and very rental-feeling, but crawling with students, so not too bad....N of the U is just a little nicer and E of the U (Sam Hughes) is big jump up in "nice-ness", but few apartments....

Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 PM

482 posts, read 1,303,350 times
Cambell would be very convenient, but again, not as nice as Sam Hughes. I know a couple that were paying 650 right on grant, five years ago. It was a 2/1, with a nice little yard for a dog.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:07 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,196,563 times
Cool Cl

Try your search on craigslist

-jeff--

Old 04-18-2009, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,200 times
Thanks everyone! :] All in the info has been really helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson