Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 01:42 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,194 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think? I don't know who else to ask so any help is appreciated.

On a slightly related note, I spoke to a realtor lady today and mentioned the whole 'bad crime in Tucson' thing, but then said that I had lived in NYC previously. She laughed and said I shouldn't have to worry (because I guess NYC is a horrible place and crime is really bad like in the movies and on Law & Order).

Quote:
$410 Cosy Studio in a duplex. (3335 E. Blacklidge Dr. #2)

Reply to: hous-62mdu-1139428479@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-04-25, 7:52AM MST

Cozy Studio with a good size living room, kitchen an a full bath, in a duplex. Three blocks East of County Club on Blacklidge Dr. Two blocks South of Fort Lowell. Ceramic Tile floors, new kitchen cabinet, Washer/Dryer hookup, small patio with storage room. Privet and fenced yard. Pets are welcome.Rent is $410.00/month (Including Water) and $400.00 refundable security deposit. For a quick show call me at 250-6481. Moe.

• cats are OK - purrr
  • dogs are OK - wooof
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
http://images.craigslist.org/3k53m83ldZZZZZZZZZ94p8382ff7a69561a72.jpg (broken link) http://images.craigslist.org/3kd3m13ocZZZZZZZZZ94p3a3c4a73f1cb1dd9.jpg (broken link) http://images.craigslist.org/3n93kf3oeZZZZZZZZZ94pf5f9497fbaaf13d5.jpg (broken link) http://images.craigslist.org/3nc3pf3o0ZZZZZZZZZ94pef714cdc8c1319f3.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:22 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
What do you guys think? I don't know who else to ask so any help is appreciated.

On a slightly related note, I spoke to a realtor lady today and mentioned the whole 'bad crime in Tucson' thing, but then said that I had lived in NYC previously. She laughed and said I shouldn't have to worry (because I guess NYC is a horrible place and crime is really bad like in the movies and on Law & Order).
Not a bad area, JillBo, but it sure looks kinda small.

Do you have any information on the total size? As an FYI . . . Two Bedroom Two Bath Patio Homes (about 1100 plus sq ft) with a Two Car Garage in my area rent for about $800 a month.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:13 PM

Yeah, it does look a little small, but we're on a budget and we've done small before. I email the manager and asked a few questions - we'll see what they say.

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Yeah, it does look a little small, but we're on a budget and we've done small before. I email the manager and asked a few questions - we'll see what they say.

Thanks!
I definitely understand The Budget Thing, however, COZY in a real estate ad could be downright scary.

but, to answer your question . . . the neighborhood is ok.

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 PM

104 posts, read 273,553 times
This address was a bit of a surprise -- it's a stone's throw away from me and I only just posted in a different thread that I'd likely avoid the neighborhood if investigating it but it really wasn't bad.

I'm trying desperately to recall this particular housing and it does seem that this is a little stretch of Blacklidge that's fairly run-down or unkempt.

$410/month seems like rental costs from years gone by. It might be worth giving a looksee.

Hope we'll be welcoming you to the " 'hood' " !

Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Studios are quite "cozy"! Besides you need SOME storage... Perhaps you can stretch your budget a little bit and get a 1-BR after all. It's quite inconvenient to sleep and potentially entertain in the same room. You know, there are some studios on the East side - on Broadway, between Camino Seco and Pantano, about half-way, on the North side of the street, but a bit away from it. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the place, but I've seen them many years ago. They're very reasonably priced as studios, but have a dividing wall between the sleeping area and the living area. You're not here, though...

The area you're looking at is not too bad. I'm not particularly fond of it, but it's definitely livable. I had a friend in the past who lived there somewhere. Old dark places with small windows depress me personally, but many people are OK with them.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Studios are quite "cozy"! Besides you need SOME storage... Perhaps you can stretch your budget a little bit and get a 1-BR after all. It's quite inconvenient to sleep and potentially entertain in the same room. You know, there are some studios on the East side - on Broadway, between Camino Seco and Pantano, about half-way, on the North side of the street, but a bit away from it. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the place, but I've seen them many years ago. They're very reasonably priced as studios, but have a dividing wall between the sleeping area and the living area. You're not here, though...

The area you're looking at is not too bad. I'm not particularly fond of it, but it's definitely livable. I had a friend in the past who lived there somewhere. Old dark places with small windows depress me personally, but many people are OK with them.

You're speaking my language, Sierra

I wanted something on the East side - we have family out that way and it'd be nice to be close in a new, unfamiliar city. Plus, it seemed 'nicer' out that way.

Here's my big problem with apartment buildings...
I have two big dogs (Dobermans, but we won't say that. They're coonhound,chocolate lab mixes) that can't handle stairs (they both had knee surgery). A lot of the apartment places that I found out there have big, nasty blacklists of breeds.

Because we're so far away (in NC now), I don't want to take the chance that we get out there, are moving in and are promptly told to take our murderous, baby-devouring dogs elsewhere.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:20 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,450 times
I used to live in the Blenman-Elm neighborhood. It was nice, but if I went just one block to the east side of Country Club, it was kind of trashy. Kind of similiar to what you're looking at. Northwest of Ft. Lowell and Country Club is Winterhaven, a very nice neighborhood. But all around Winterhaven there's pockets of real trashy neighborhoods. Some of those neighborhoods have big problems with drugs and crime.

Try looking more towards the University. There's a lot of rentals catering to students. We had a small guest house that we rented for $500 a month and a lot of my neighbors rented their guest houses too. Sam Hughes is another nice neighborhood where you can rent guest houses.

I love where we're living now, but I do miss all the stuff there was to do in midtown. Lot's of restaurants! And I love movies, so I miss being near The Loft and Casa Video (the best video store in the world).

Take your time and you should be able to find a nice place to live. Don't rush into anything and end up regretting singing that lease.

Here's a link for University of Arizona student housing. You might be able to find a place on here.

http://www.union.arizona.edu/csil/oc...ine/onlineads/

Last edited by BillyBaroo; 04-28-2009 at 06:32 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
You're speaking my language, Sierra

I wanted something on the East side - we have family out that way and it'd be nice to be close in a new, unfamiliar city. Plus, it seemed 'nicer' out that way.

Here's my big problem with apartment buildings...
I have two big dogs (Dobermans, but we won't say that. They're coonhound,chocolate lab mixes) that can't handle stairs (they both had knee surgery). A lot of the apartment places that I found out there have big, nasty blacklists of breeds.

Because we're so far away (in NC now), I don't want to take the chance that we get out there, are moving in and are promptly told to take our murderous, baby-devouring dogs elsewhere.
Well, that IS a problem, even though I used to live in an apartment complex which at the end started accepting 2 dogs up to 80 lbs! (not a fan) And how in the world are you gonna keep 2 huge dogs in (basically) A room anyway...?! Since you're willing to take a small space, I was gonna suggest a guest house - there are some nice ones in Sam Hughes. That way you're in a central and safe area, enjoy much nicer surroundings, and probably get cable TV and Internet free since the landlords already have it. However, I doubt anybody would want your companions... Then again, I might be wrong. It's not like they're smokers...

Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 AM

Sierra!

lol, no our dogs don't smoke. And you're right, it would be hard to live with them in such a small space, which is part of the reason why a yard is so critical to us.

We'll keep looking. That guy never emailed me back, anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: